Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    Pretty much all CAD systems that worth it's salt works that way.
    Not only that, but you can have dimensions driven by features from an entirely different part, or by the final assembly even.
    And that is EXACTLY why don't want either parametric or integrated ( like MC for Solidworks ) CAM

In FeatureCAM you get a notification if the original solid has changed, but you have the choice to ignore it and keep everything the way it was.
    The original source solid remains embedded in the CAM file if you so choose.
    With fully integrated tools, I do not believe that is an option.

So unlike high and mighty up there, I prefer to be in control of my CAM file, and have it change only when I tell it to.
    having the option to change/not change is deff nice, i got no problem with that. clearly people have their own reasons for wanting or needing things one way or another. i'm not trying to come off high and mighty, i certainly am not the end all be all, far from it. for my type of work and my style of programming, parametric is orders of magnitude easier and more efficient, and its very frustrating to not have that ability.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    having the option to change/not change is deff nice, i got no problem with that. clearly people have their own reasons for wanting or needing things one way or another. i'm not trying to come off high and mighty, i certainly am not the end all be all, far from it. for my type of work and my style of programming, parametric is orders of magnitude easier and more efficient, and its very frustrating to not have that ability.
    I can understand both viewpoints...parametric WOULD be easier for many applications in the end. I, like Seymour over there, prefer having my CAM decoupled from the CAD parametric data. Which is why I do not import my solidworks history when I open most parts. Sometimes I like having the history but my workflow dictates that if any big changes need to happen, they go into SW again and I reopen the updated model. Annoying? Yes very. This is why NX and Fusion are so good...they combine both CAD and CAM into a unified interface that means toggling back and forth is very easy.

However, most companies are good at one thing - either CAD or CAM. Siemens and ADSK can get away with it because they are massive companies. Very different products between the two but functionally there are many similarities. Mastercam was never a CAD program - the tools are there to assist in CAMming a part.

3. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post
    I can understand both viewpoints...parametric WOULD be easier for many applications in the end. I, like Seymour over there, prefer having my CAM decoupled from the CAD parametric data. Which is why I do not import my solidworks history when I open most parts. Sometimes I like having the history but my workflow dictates that if any big changes need to happen, they go into SW again and I reopen the updated model. Annoying? Yes very. This is why NX and Fusion are so good...they combine both CAD and CAM into a unified interface that means toggling back and forth is very easy.

However, most companies are good at one thing - either CAD or CAM. Siemens and ADSK can get away with it because they are massive companies. Very different products between the two but functionally there are many similarities. Mastercam was never a CAD program - the tools are there to assist in CAMming a part.
    finally someone understands what i mean! i thought i was going crazy here... lol