What's new
What's new

MasterCam Copying Holes

XxLT250RxX

Plastic
I want to copy a hole 100 times. I need each hole to be .0156 farther than the last. Example: .500, .5156, .5312, .5468, .5624, .5780, etc.. Is there a way to do this other than one hole at a time?

Yes erase all holes except the first starting hole. Highlight first hole then go to transform tab at the top (Mastercam 2020) and click translate on method click copy. Number of Instances 100 then delta x or y .0156

If you mean you need to add an additional .0156 each time, then I don't know of any way out of the box to do it.
It was interesting so I tried. Best thing I came up is to copy the line a bunch of times and count the spaces adding one each time. I did point but obv you could do circles. Tedious but I did 10 of them pretty quick.

I thought there was a C-HOOK included that did a variable pitch spiral, but I could only find one that does a fixed pitch. Then you coukd have drawn a line across it and put circles at the intersections.

lines.JPG

If you mean you need to add an additional .0156 each time, then I don't know of any way out of the box to do it.
It was interesting so I tried. Best thing I came up is to copy the line a bunch of times and count the spaces adding one each time. I did point but obv you could do circles. Tedious but I did 10 of them pretty quick.

I thought there was a C-HOOK included that did a variable pitch spiral, but I could only find one that does a fixed pitch. Then you coukd have drawn a line across it and put circles at the intersections.

View attachment 320049

Yes, this is what I want to do. I may have to do it like you said. You would think a powerful as Mastercam is it could do this.

Wait, after reading your post again, if you just want a hole every 0.0156 Translate works fine. Just translate 0.0156 in whatever direction and set the number of instances to 100. I thought you were wanting the gap to increase as well with each move, which would need a script or chook to do. What you're after is just normal translate.

Ok, lets try this......if I have a set of gage pins that start at .500 and goes up to 3.000 in 1/64 increments. I want to program the center points of all these pins so that when they are pressed in a plate a .500 gage block will just fit between all of the pins.

Yes, this is what I want to do. I may have to do it like you said. You would think a powerful as Mastercam is it could do this.

It can't work miracles, what you're wanting to do is way out of the normal.
If you ask on the official forums there is a chance that someone there can write you a script or Chook that can do what you want. Some very smart people over there.

Mastercam if FAR from being a powerful design tool. It never will be a powerful design tool. A design tool should be capable of using parametric formulas. MC doesn't even come close. Hell. you can barely get that shit to do dimensioning without pulling your hair out.

Ok, I think I'm back on track now. So my original response is what you need, a script or a chook/nethook. This way you can define the varying parameter. Also, keep in mind you can do this with macros as well.
Do you know how to run scripts in Mastercam?

Mastercam if FAR from being a powerful design tool. It never will be a powerful design tool. A design tool should be capable of using parametric formulas. MC doesn't even come close. Hell. you can barely get that shit to do dimensioning without pulling your hair out.

more words here

Oh, one more option I just thought of. You can create a CSV file with the coordinates and import that into Mastercam. So in excel you would put X of the first point in A1, y in A2, z in A3, point 2 would be in row 2 etc. So now you can use fomulas in excel to generate the spacing automatically for your 100 points. Open the CSV file in Mastercam and this will plot the points. If you want circles at these points use the PointsToCircle chook.

Oh, one more option I just thought of. You can create a CSV file with the coordinates and import that into Mastercam. So in excel you would put X of the first point in A1, y in A2, z in A3, point 2 would be in row 2 etc. So now you can use fomulas in excel to generate the spacing automatically for your 100 points. Open the CSV file in Mastercam and this will plot the points. If you want circles at these points use the PointsToCircle chook.

nice

10 characters

Interesting topic. I think I might do a video up on this.
Hope no one minds me using this forum as an idea generator for some videos :)

Back