MasterCam Copying Holes
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MasterCam Copying Holes

I want to copy a hole 100 times. I need each hole to be .0156 farther than the last. Example: .500, .5156, .5312, .5468, .5624, .5780, etc.. Is there a way to do this other than one hole at a time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

VBScript or Chook will work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes erase all holes except the first starting hole. Highlight first hole then go to transform tab at the top (Mastercam 2020) and click translate on method click copy. Number of Instances 100 then delta x or y .0156

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you mean you need them to be .0156 apart from each other? Tranform, Translate, Number of instances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you mean you need to add an additional .0156 each time, then I don't know of any way out of the box to do it.
    It was interesting so I tried. Best thing I came up is to copy the line a bunch of times and count the spaces adding one each time. I did point but obv you could do circles. Tedious but I did 10 of them pretty quick.

I thought there was a C-HOOK included that did a variable pitch spiral, but I could only find one that does a fixed pitch. Then you coukd have drawn a line across it and put circles at the intersections.

lines.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Volitan View Post
    If you mean you need to add an additional .0156 each time, then I don't know of any way out of the box to do it.
    It was interesting so I tried. Best thing I came up is to copy the line a bunch of times and count the spaces adding one each time. I did point but obv you could do circles. Tedious but I did 10 of them pretty quick.

I thought there was a C-HOOK included that did a variable pitch spiral, but I could only find one that does a fixed pitch. Then you coukd have drawn a line across it and put circles at the intersections.

lines.jpg
    Yes, this is what I want to do. I may have to do it like you said. You would think a powerful as Mastercam is it could do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wait, after reading your post again, if you just want a hole every 0.0156 Translate works fine. Just translate 0.0156 in whatever direction and set the number of instances to 100. I thought you were wanting the gap to increase as well with each move, which would need a script or chook to do. What you're after is just normal translate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, lets try this......if I have a set of gage pins that start at .500 and goes up to 3.000 in 1/64 increments. I want to program the center points of all these pins so that when they are pressed in a plate a .500 gage block will just fit between all of the pins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by XxLT250RxX View Post
    Yes, this is what I want to do. I may have to do it like you said. You would think a powerful as Mastercam is it could do this.
    It can't work miracles, what you're wanting to do is way out of the normal.
    If you ask on the official forums there is a chance that someone there can write you a script or Chook that can do what you want. Some very smart people over there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NX can do it easily.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by XxLT250RxX View Post
    Mastercam if FAR from being a powerful design tool. It never will be a powerful design tool. A design tool should be capable of using parametric formulas. MC doesn't even come close. Hell. you can barely get that shit to do dimensioning without pulling your hair out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did this in mastercam years ago, in V9 I beleive. I haven't used mc in years so I don't remember how, but it is possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    I did this in mastercam years ago, in V9 I beleive. I haven't used mc in years so I don't remember how, but it is possible.
    I'm thinking maybe a formula in the FPLOT c-hook it ships with but I won't have a chance to play with it until lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, I think I'm back on track now. So my original response is what you need, a script or a chook/nethook. This way you can define the varying parameter. Also, keep in mind you can do this with macros as well.
    Do you know how to run scripts in Mastercam?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CORONA VIRUS View Post
    Mastercam if FAR from being a powerful design tool. It never will be a powerful design tool. A design tool should be capable of using parametric formulas. MC doesn't even come close. Hell. you can barely get that shit to do dimensioning without pulling your hair out.
    more words here

16. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, one more option I just thought of. You can create a CSV file with the coordinates and import that into Mastercam. So in excel you would put X of the first point in A1, y in A2, z in A3, point 2 would be in row 2 etc. So now you can use fomulas in excel to generate the spacing automatically for your 100 points. Open the CSV file in Mastercam and this will plot the points. If you want circles at these points use the PointsToCircle chook.

18. Likes Volitan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Oh, one more option I just thought of. You can create a CSV file with the coordinates and import that into Mastercam. So in excel you would put X of the first point in A1, y in A2, z in A3, point 2 would be in row 2 etc. So now you can use fomulas in excel to generate the spacing automatically for your 100 points. Open the CSV file in Mastercam and this will plot the points. If you want circles at these points use the PointsToCircle chook.

nice

10 characters

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting topic. I think I might do a video up on this.
    Hope no one minds me using this forum as an idea generator for some videos

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    more words here
    You do understand that Mastercam claims to have a design package, right? In fact, you have to pay money for it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CORONA VIRUS View Post
    You do understand that Mastercam claims to have a design package, right? In fact, you have to pay money for it.
    Do everyone on this board a favor and, pretty please, turn your fucking brain on before you post any more.

23. Likes Mtndew, Mike1974, SeymourDumore liked this post