What's new
What's new

MasterCAM finish contour assistance requested

Sparky961

Cast Iron
This is, I hope, a question for which there's a really simple answer. Though I've poked around a bit on the interweb, I haven't found anything that answers it or haven't been looking for the right thing.

In MasterCAM (X4, not that it matters much), I'm trying to machine an internal "funnel" shape. I'd love to do this on a CNC lathe but with my current machine choices interpolating on a mill is the better option. What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the toolpath to completely machine the surface.

I hope you can see from the attached screenshots that the toolpath only extends down such that the tip of the ballnose endmill is at the bottom of the part. I want it to continue down far enough that the entire face is cleaned up. I've experienced this before and have usually found a way to fudge it and make things work, but I've run out of things to try.

Cap1.jpg

Cap2.jpg

Cap3.jpg

Cap4.jpg

Cap5.jpg

Version does matter. Your X4 is ancient, and functionally very different than current version 2018.

Why are you sticking with such an old version? Makes it much harder to get help.

Regards.

Mike

Version does matter. Your X4 is ancient, and functionally very different than current version 2018.

Why are you sticking with such an old version? Makes it much harder to get help.

Regards.

Mike

That's _all_ you picked up from my post? The little "aside" to myself? LOL I know it's old. But you don't think anyone used X4 to accomplish exactly this task without any issues? I doubt that.

I'm sure you're right about more people being able to help with the current version though. I just find it hard to believe it's changed so much that no one can point out what I'm missing.

In X4 does the depth's cut in the contour toolpath have tappered walls? I know that in 2018 it does. If so just input the angle of the tappered wall in the depth cut page and then in the linking parameters page just extend the cut past the bottom. Use keep tool down to keep it from coming out of the hole after every pass.

Try changing it to absolute depth and put the negative Z to the depth plus the radius of the cutter.

It's in the cut depth's page, chose incremental, then in the adjustment to other cuts put in the negative value of your tool radius. That should get it to extend lower.

Have you tried using Flowline? Or extend the surface like D Nelson says.
What are your filter settings?

Go to cut depths
Minimum Z0
Maximum depth say your part is .750 thick and your cutter is a .250 BEM
then add 750 and 125
Maximum depth now is .875 because you added the 125 z to the full depth.
You add the half the radius to the depth.

We do a tapered outside diameters. we mainly use the threadmilling cycle, put a tapered wall on it. small depth of cut.

Swept 2d is a great toolpath also. A lot of people overlook it. If I can use that toolpath I always do. Very easy to get exactly what you want.

Back