What's new
What's new

Mastercam maintenance increase

richg

Plastic
Hey, we just received our annual bill for maintenance, I am shocked to see it increase 25% this year.

My reseller said that it all comes from corporate and that they have no control of it. They increased rates because of Mastercam 2020 release.

Anyone else get their bill recently?

Hey, we just received our annual bill for maintenance, I am shocked to see it increase 25% this year.

My reseller said that it all comes from corporate and that they have no control of it. They increased rates because of Mastercam 2020 release.

Anyone else get their bill recently?

it can't be too bad, my boss hasn't complained....yet.

Outside of education a maintenance plan can be anywhere from 5k-50k depending, and this is for any software, not just Mastercam

Outside of education a maintenance plan can be anywhere from 5k-50k depending, and this is for any software, not just Mastercam

I know for a fact that our maintenance for Mastercam is nowhere near 5k, and we have the Multiaxis package with Lathe.

Maintenance cost varies depending on product type and level, additional seats seem to give you a discount. For mill it varies from $525 to $1,875 per year/per seat.

I am really interested to know if others have seen this 25% increase, which in my eyes is a game changer. We may end up pulling the plug on maintenance if this is CNC software's new normal...

Maintenance cost varies depending on product type and level, additional seats seem to give you a discount. For mill it varies from $525 to $1,875 per year/per seat.

I am really interested to know if others have seen this 25% increase, which in my eyes is a game changer. We may end up pulling the plug on maintenance if this is CNC software's new normal...

I agree. I'm already close to the tipping point with MC yearly maintenance fees, given the alternatives.

Regards.

Mike

What do comparable CAM softwares charge for maintenance? I'm paying $2050 for Edgecam Prod. milling and turning w/solids, that's 3D w/4th wrapping & HSM toolpaths

My boss says we pay almost $18000 per year for 5 licenses for NX.

Speaking of which it's about time I made another phone call for some "simple" fix to their tech support. :ack2:

For reference we pay $4200 year for 2 seats of GibbsCam (3D Systems) 5 axis mill, production turn, edm and post support.

3D Systems policy is 2 years of maintenance to get current if you lapse.

What do comparable CAM softwares charge for maintenance? I'm paying $2050 for Edgecam Prod. milling and turning w/solids, that's 3D w/4th wrapping & HSM toolpaths

NX CAD/CAM Bundle, Node Locked + 5 Axis License is about $4k a year.

About the same as what I was paying for SolidWorks maintenance + the lower level package of HSM Works, back when it was broken out into 2 tiers.

2900 a year for mill level 3 with solids pro drill and lathe. It was around 2200 last year. For reference are working is 3k and are solid works is 1500 a year. Two seats of fusion at 310 a year. Because of the price increase and constant crashing of mastercam 2019 with solid works installed on same box it was a relatively easy decision to drop maintenance. Fusion giving hsm in solid works away didn't hurt either.
It all starts to really add up. Pretty much every customer we have used solid works so keeping that current is a must. They don't care what we cut with as long as parts are good. We bought worknc because a second seat of 3axis mastercam and it where both the pretty much the same price.

I know for a fact that our maintenance for Mastercam is nowhere near 5k, and we have the Multiaxis package with Lathe.

I didn't mean to say it was $5K+ PER SEAT. I meant that overall as a cost to the company, it may be that expensive especially when you may have 5-10 seats running. My education package is over $1500/yr for maintenance on multiaxis/3d/lathe MC

I didn't mean to say it was $5K+ PER SEAT. I meant that overall as a cost to the company, it may be that expensive especially when you may have 5-10 seats running. My education package is over $1500/yr for maintenance on multiaxis/3d/lathe MC

My mistake, I misunderstood ya.

I have 5 seats of Mastercam 2018 mill, mill 3d, lathe multi axis multi spindle, and wire EDM. I got all my guys trained [10 employees] and after 1 year didn't buy the maintenance any more. It does everything I'm going to need for the next several years. I did the same thing before updating (froze it at level 8 for several years). I don't see what value the maintenance gives you, so I choose not to buy it.

I have 5 seats of Mastercam 2018 mill, mill 3d, lathe multi axis multi spindle, and wire EDM. I got all my guys trained [10 employees] and after 1 year didn't buy the maintenance any more. It does everything I'm going to need for the next several years. I did the same thing before updating (froze it at level 8 for several years). I don't see what value the maintenance gives you, so I choose not to buy it.

It gives you the security of "free" upgrades to the newest version.
Let's say that next year's software comes out with a toolpath that reduces your cycle times immensely..you'd be losing money.
But if you want that new version then you'd have to pay full price for all 5 seats, and that's a lot of dough.

Regardless, I know a lot of people on both sides, some on maintenance, and some not. All are happy.

Back