Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I have 5 seats of Mastercam 2018 mill, mill 3d, lathe multi axis multi spindle, and wire EDM. I got all my guys trained [10 employees] and after 1 year didn't buy the maintenance any more. It does everything I'm going to need for the next several years. I did the same thing before updating (froze it at level 8 for several years). I don't see what value the maintenance gives you, so I choose not to buy it.
    Well apparently you don't put any value on new, unexpected glitches and quirks that generate overwhelming urges to drink yourself into oblivion during working hours.

2. Likes Mike1974, charlie gary, richg, GM, jjxtrider and 4 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 5 seats of Mastercam 2018 mill, mill 3d, lathe multi axis multi spindle, and wire EDM. I got all my guys trained [10 employees] and after 1 year didn't buy the maintenance any more. It does everything I'm going to need for the next several years. I did the same thing before updating (froze it at level 8 for several years). I don't see what value the maintenance gives you, so I choose not to buy it.
    The update from year to year is very low on the perks list for maintenance. Although as was said, year over year, version over version, the software will be getting faster....better toolpaths, better processing, better functions, better workflow etc. The main reason for maintenance is tech support. If you have 10 guys programming I guarantee there have been many times where they didn't know how to do something or simply were not doing it correctly. Having access to the application engineers at Mastercam for the year would easily pay for itself it gained programming efficiency of your crew.

I've said this many times, you cannot look at the price of a tool. You have to look at ROI and overall effectiveness of that tool for your shop.

Also, I could be wrong but I thought I heard the initial cost of Mastercam was coming down...maybe that's why the increase in maint (I've not seen this increase in writing yet myself though)

4. Likes metalmadness, Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    It gives you the security of "free" upgrades to the newest version.
    Let's say that next year's software comes out with a toolpath that reduces your cycle times immensely..you'd be losing money.
    But if you want that new version then you'd have to pay full price for all 5 seats, and that's a lot of dough.

Regardless, I know a lot of people on both sides, some on maintenance, and some not. All are happy.
    I don't think that is entirely true, or it depends on your reseller. A few jobs back we did this, got off maint for a couple years "because it was expensive" I think then $1500/yr? Anyways, when we wanted to add a new seat and get up to date our reseller cut us a break on paying the back maint fees and buying a new/additional seat, which was less expensive than buying 2 'new' seats.

6. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aside from the upgrades and new features, it gives you peace of mind to call your reseller if there is ever an issue with a post, or anything related to the software you need assistance with.

Also Mastercam 2020 is pretty fricking sweet, and I was using the latest 2019 patch. Its quite nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me it seems every new release comes in 'broken" and needs at least a year of updates and fixes before it works completely correctly, if ever. That's why tech support is so needed, Once it's working we never need to call, but boom here comes a new version so start over, sorta like Windows. That's an incentive to freeze your software at a functional level. If you are buying new machines with new controls and new capabilities, staying current is pretty necessary, for older stuff not so much. I've stayed current because I've been banking on getting help with new code generators, but I'm getting damn little help without contracting for a new CG from scratch.
    I had 2 older machines that were left behind by the CAM, no one could write a CG for the old Cincinnati control that would work for several versions of the CAM, we had to replace the machines before we could use the new "easier" workflow technology. I'm now second guessing my decision to renew, thinking I should have pulled the plug then.

9. Likes richg, empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I don't think that is entirely true, or it depends on your reseller. A few jobs back we did this, got off maint for a couple years "because it was expensive" I think then $1500/yr? Anyways, when we wanted to add a new seat and get up to date our reseller cut us a break on paying the back maint fees and buying a new/additional seat, which was less expensive than buying 2 'new' seats.
    It might just depend on the reseller. I don't know since I'm not the one with the wallet,my boss is

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    For me it seems every new release comes in 'broken" and needs at least a year of updates and fixes before it works completely correctly, if ever. That's why tech support is so needed, Once it's working we never need to call, but boom here comes a new version so start over, sorta like Windows. That's an incentive to freeze your software at a functional level.
    I could not agree more, Many times I wonder how did they even think to release this as is?
    Then the reseller always come back with the "I tried in the new beta version and it works perfectly, so hold tight until the NEXT release?"

12. Likes Mud liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mastercam is cumbersome at best by todays standards. They're just riding on their reputation from years past and they pump enough money into the education sector to stay relevant. I would think most people would agree drawing parametrically like Solidworks or Inventor does is faster and more user friendly, and I hate having to waste time converting surfaces to work from solid models. IMO there's a lot better out there for a lot less money. At least the other over priced brand had free beer at their IMTS booth.

14. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    Mastercam is cumbersome at best by todays standards. They're just riding on their reputation from years past and they pump enough money into the education sector to stay relevant. I would think most people would agree drawing parametrically like Solidworks or Inventor does is faster and more user friendly, and I hate having to waste time converting surfaces to work from solid models. IMO there's a lot better out there for a lot less money. At least the other over priced brand had free beer at their IMTS booth.
    I don't even know how you can say that. Mastercam is one of the most robust CNC programming software available on the market today. When you really dive into the features and capabilities of Mastercam, you will realize just how insanely powerful and customizable the software is. In terms of cumbersome, I could see that for a novice or intermediate user, however, when you understand how to control the software as you need, it does exactly what it should to your expectations.

The new interface as of 2017 convinced me not to change from Mastercam to something like Powermill, as it cleared up a lot of the issues I had with the GUI. Now I love it.

Granted, my perspective is from a 2D/3D and Multiaxis milling perspective. Sure, Hypermill is way better for 5ax simultaneous programming, but it shits the bed on 3ax. GibbsCAM and ESPRIT are better suited to mill-turn applications (mastercam sucks for this), but as an all around tool for CAM tasks, Mastercam is a solid choice.

Do you think they own ~25% (largest market share) of the entire CAM software industry by accident?

It is akin to saying you hate using VERICUT because you don't know how to use it properly.

16. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mastercam is cumbersome at best by todays standards.
    Solidworks or Inventor does is faster
    Another Titan fanboy, you can tell by the bullshit they spew and the pure lack of intelligence in their posts. Buddy, you're comparing CAD functions of dedicated CAD software to a piece of CAM software. Also, did you know there's a thing called Mastercam for Solidworks so technically you can draw parametric and toolpath with Mastercam.

Let me try being like this guy....
    Photoshop is garbage software because AfterEffects does videos better

And this thread was talking about maintenance, if you want to bitch about Mastercam functions then go start another thread.

18. Likes barbter, Mtndew, wheelieking71, GM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why do you need to create a solid from surface? You can program from wireframe and surfaces... (I get solids are IMO much better for 3d stuff tho).This doesn't sound like a CAM problem... although sometimes I get translator errors and such...

Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post
    I don't even know how you can say that. Mastercam is one of the most robust CNC programming software available on the market today. When you really dive into the features and capabilities of Mastercam, you will realize just how insanely powerful and customizable the software is. In terms of cumbersome, I could see that for a novice or intermediate user, however, when you understand how to control the software as you need, it does exactly what it should to your expectations.

The new interface as of 2017 convinced me not to change from Mastercam to something like Powermill, as it cleared up a lot of the issues I had with the GUI. Now I love it.

Granted, my perspective is from a 2D/3D and Multiaxis milling perspective. Sure, Hypermill is way better for 5ax simultaneous programming, but it shits the bed on 3ax. GibbsCAM and ESPRIT are better suited to mill-turn applications (mastercam sucks for this), but as an all around tool for CAM tasks, Mastercam is a solid choice.

Do you think they own ~25% (largest market share) of the entire CAM software industry by accident?

It is akin to saying you hate using VERICUT because you don't know how to use it properly.
    YES!

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Another Titan fanboy, you can tell by the bullshit they spew and the pure lack of intelligence in their posts. Buddy, you're comparing CAD functions of dedicated CAD software to a piece of CAM software. Also, did you know there's a thing called Mastercam for Solidworks so technically you can draw parametric and toolpath with Mastercam.

Let me try being like this guy....
    Photoshop is garbage software because AfterEffects does videos better

And this thread was talking about maintenance, if you want to bitch about Mastercam functions then go start another thread.
    Well plenty of those, but mostly from people who never tried to learn it...

20. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is why I phased out everything for Fusion 360. The resellers are useless for support and "corporate" just keeps kicking up with increases with ZERO additional value.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Parts View Post
    This is why I phased out everything for Fusion 360. The resellers are useless for support and "corporate" just keeps kicking up with increases with ZERO additional value.
    Do you feel like fusion can compare with mastercam? If anything the only autodesk product that holds a candle is Powermill, and that is over $10k per seat per year plus expensive maintenance. I got quotes from Autodesk last summer and that is what their education price was. Fusion is a pro-sumer level software, not to say companies don't use it because they do. Apples to oranges, though

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another Titan fanboy, you can tell by the bullshit they spew and the pure lack of intelligence in their posts.
    I needed a good laugh this morning. "Titan fanboy". I wonder if he has the "CNC Expert" shirt.

24. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I needed a good laugh this morning. "Titan fanboy". I wonder if he has the "CNC Expert" shirt.
    I have to admire what Gilroy is doing and how he's genuinely raising the awareness of the trade.
    But the shirt was a bad decision...

26. Likes g-coder05, Mtndew, Volitan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    the shirt was a bad decision...
    Not from a marketing standpoint it's not.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a Titan Fan boy ! He has done more to put us in front of the nation than anyone I can remember. He is providing education to people all over the world for free. I am a second generation product of one of the best Co-Op high school training programs in New England.

Our local education experts in Boston phased out this program in the late 90's and replaced it with the Hyde Park school of banking and finance, They trained 100's of bank tellers who were all replaced by ATM's within a few years, Great forward thinking.

I have been a MasterCam user for over 20 years and have always been happy. I was in a serious cash crunch this year and had to let my Maintenance lapse. I'm not looking forward to the bill that will come with reinstatement.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too am a Titan Fanboy...i just really love what he is doing in terms of getting people into manufacturing and creating FREE education. As I come from education, this is important to me. But also, I use Mastercam and probably will until I find a good reason not to do so.

I wouldn't throw a novice CNC operator at a seat of Mastercam 2020 without some serious training modules, in person or online. It is just a complicated, complex piece of software. I learned how to program conversationally on a Hurco. Those skills gave me the knowledge I needed to jump into the CAM world. CAM software as a general rule is complicated, convoluted and obnoxious until you really know machining.

So, I appreciate what he is doing and I love to watch his videos, because I believe he is speaking truth.

30. Likes Dupa3872 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only 25%? Ours went up by 60%. Ok, we bought another Mill3D license last year but still I'd like to hear some real arguments. 2020 is definitely not that great and the core problems still persist.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We just had Mastercam quoted.

12.5 3d mill seat one
    1875 maint
    10.5 seat 2
    1500 maint
    2.500 lathe seat
    375 maint

200/seat network liscense fee (one time)

Sounded pretty reasonable to me.

We pay the same 15% maint on our Hypermill license except because the seat price is so much higher the maint is thousands more.