Mastercam maintenance increase - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 316head View Post
    2020 is definitely not that great and the core problems still persist.
    What core problems are you referring to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I run 2020 all day and it runs pretty damn good for me.

3. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rickyt View Post
    I run 2020 all day and it runs pretty damn good for me.
    Same here, only 1 crash in the last couple of months that I've been using it daily.
    It seems more stable than 2019 in that regard. I've dubbed 2019 Crashtercam.

5. Likes dodgin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Upgraded for 3 years and got a 15% discount....comes out to about $100/month.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am a old mastercam guy. Used mastercam for alot of years up to x6.

Been using inventor hsm for a few years and I like it.

But comparing these twos you cant.

Inventor hsm does the job for me but I still loved the workflow in mcx.

I don't do much cad

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our maintenance cost increased 60%
    We have Mill, Mill 3d, lathe and lathe entry licenses.
    We are looking other options now

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Same here, only 1 crash in the last couple of months that I've been using it daily.
    It seems more stable than 2019 in that regard. I've dubbed 2019 Crashtercam.
    MC 2020 killed a part for me yesterday. Not in Backplot or Verify. Sent the tool straight through a wall.

The only way I can run a Dynamic path now is to check Full Vertical Retract.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rstewart View Post
    MC 2020 killed a part for me yesterday. Not in Backplot or Verify. Sent the tool straight through a wall.

I was referring to software crashes.
    Machine crashes if/when they happen are my fault, unless an operator fucked up by editing the program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rstewart View Post

Those dogleg rapids will get you every time. Not the softwares fault, either setup Mastercam correctly to simulate doglegs or setup your machine to not rapid with doglegs.

12. Likes rickyt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Those dogleg rapids will get you every time. Not the softwares fault, either setup Mastercam correctly to simulate doglegs or setup your machine to not rapid with doglegs.
    Basically this. FeatureCam will do this too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Sorry just now getting back to this.
    There was no dogleg... I only use the higher feed method getting around a part when dynamic-ing a part. Basically the path avoids uncut material by a set amount with a G01 feed you specify. Zero G00's except for the entry and exit move.
    I've been using dynamic since they have implemented it years ago. Never had this happen before.
    If you select Full vert retract to avoid a boundary it's safe, just a Lot of retracts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do transfer your programs onto the control?

I had an unexpected gouge a few weeks ago, tool went clean through a wall when it should have gone up and over. Fucked up a part that we had nearly a week of work on already.

After close examination I found those lines were neatly missing from the program on the control, but were present in the posted code on the pc.

We transfer all programs to that machine by usb pen drive. I found the lines were also missing on the pen drive. We are always careful to unmount the drives properly before we pull them and only use decent brand name pen drives, so the only possible explanation is either windows being a flaky piece of shit or the pen drive being a flaky piece of shit. Either are equally likely IMO.

I did not think it was possible in this day and age to have undetected data corruption on a (semi - ntfs) modern filesystem and modern hardware. Just goes to show that windows does not do much in the way of error checking when writing to removable media.

I sat down right then and there and ordered everything I needed to run ethernet to all the usb machines. (Haven't got around to actually doing it yet tho...)

And smashed that pen drive up with a big f*ing hammer just to be sure...

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    How do transfer your programs onto the control?

I had an unexpected gouge a few weeks ago, tool went clean through a wall when it should have gone up and over. Fucked up a part that we had nearly a week of work on already.

After close examination I found those lines were neatly missing from the program on the control, but were present in the posted code on the pc.

We transfer all programs to that machine by usb pen drive. I found the lines were also missing on the pen drive. We are always careful to unmount the drives properly before we pull them and only use decent brand name pen drives, so the only possible explanation is either windows being a flaky piece of shit or the pen drive being a flaky piece of shit. Either are equally likely IMO.

I did not think it was possible in this day and age to have undetected data corruption on a (semi - ntfs) modern filesystem and modern hardware. Just goes to show that windows does not do much in the way of error checking when writing to removable media.

I sat down right then and there and ordered everything I needed to run ethernet to all the usb machines. (Haven't got around to actually doing it yet tho...)

And smashed that pen drive up with a big f*ing hammer just to be sure...
    HolyMoly!!!
    You talking Fanuc here Gregor?
    Have you spoken with them?
    When I had my place (they're still going so still doing it) for all the big trocoidal toolpaths, we spat them out from Mastercam as an external sub, and put that on the PCMCIA card.
    So the main prog would fit in the (eenyweeny) control, and the roughing paths would be taken from the card.
    It worked like a charm.
    BUT what you've described here could easily wreck a machine...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    HolyMoly!!!
    You talking Fanuc here Gregor?
    Have you spoken with them?
    When I had my place (they're still going so still doing it) for all the big trocoidal toolpaths, we spat them out from Mastercam as an external sub, and put that on the PCMCIA card.
    So the main prog would fit in the (eenyweeny) control, and the roughing paths would be taken from the card.
    It worked like a charm.
    BUT what you've described here could easily wreck a machine...
    No this was on one of our Hurcos, although we do use the pcmcia cards on the Fanucs as well.

No fault of the machine, it accurately read what was on the pen drive.

The program was posted 100% correctly, somehow lost a few lines when copied to the usb drive. Windows made no indication that the file was not copied properly.

As soon as I can find the time to make it happen, we will completely ethernet apart from the odd couple of machines that are still serial, and zero removable media.

Windows is cheap shit garbage and all pc hardware is cheap shit garbage, and none of it should be trusted for anything important, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No this was on one of our Hurcos, although we do use the pcmcia cards on the Fanucs as well.

No fault of the machine, it accurately read what was on the pen drive.

The program was posted 100% correctly, somehow lost a few lines when copied to the usb drive. Windows made no indication that the file was not copied properly.

As soon as I can find the time to make it happen, we will completely ethernet apart from the odd couple of machines that are still serial, and zero removable media.

Windows is cheap shit garbage and all pc hardware is cheap shit garbage, and none of it should be trusted for anything important, IMHO.

I've no idea what a license costs, but the software BeyondCompare lets you choose two files (in your case, the program on the USB and the program on the PC) and do a quick compare. It will put the two side by side, and highlight any differences between them. Or, if they compare exactly the same, it can simply give you a popup that they're identical. I use it to check revisions and such, and it's a really great piece of software. I realize it's an extra step, and if you switch to ethernet only, it's unnecessary, but I figured I'd mention it so you would be aware it existed.

Edit: I just went and looked, because I was curious. It's incredibly cheap, and you can even download a demo to try it out: Buy Beyond Compare

19. Likes Mtndew, barbter, gregormarwick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    I've no idea what a license costs, but the software BeyondCompare lets you choose two files (in your case, the program on the USB and the program on the PC) and do a quick compare. It will put the two side by side, and highlight any differences between them. Or, if they compare exactly the same, it can simply give you a popup that they're identical. I use it to check revisions and such, and it's a really great piece of software. I realize it's an extra step, and if you switch to ethernet only, it's unnecessary, but I figured I'd mention it so you would be aware it existed.

Edit: I just went and looked, because I was curious. It's incredibly cheap, and you can even download a demo to try it out: Buy Beyond Compare
    Just to add, if people have Mastercam they can do the same thing with Cimco.

21. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post

Thanks for the tip - I have several tools in my arsenal to do a diff compare, but like you said it's an extra step that should not be, and never has been before, necessary.

This is the kind of thing that you read about being pushed out unnoticed in a windows update and causing havoc. Don't think that was the case here though. None the wiser as to the cause.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    It gives you the security of "free" upgrades to the newest version.
    Let's say that next year's software comes out with a toolpath that reduces your cycle times immensely..you'd be losing money.
    But if you want that new version then you'd have to pay full price for all 5 seats, and that's a lot of dough.

Regardless, I know a lot of people on both sides, some on maintenance, and some not. All are happy.
    except masterBLOW has done nothing significant in several years. they got complacent in the market, and soon will start to lose market share.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    except masterBLOW has done nothing significant in several years. they got complacent in the market, and soon will start to lose market share.
    People like you make me laugh.
    Those who think Mastercam sucks have never taken the time to set it up correctly.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the tip - I have several tools in my arsenal to do a diff compare, but like you said it's an extra step that should not be, and never has been before, necessary.

This is the kind of thing that you read about being pushed out unnoticed in a windows update and causing havoc. Don't think that was the case here though. None the wiser as to the cause.
    Gregor, +1 for Beyond Compare.
    Scooter Software Rocks!
    It was 30 bucks by memory when I bought it - one of the best purchases I made!

26. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post