Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of good replies here. I will update tomorrow with whatever pricing I can get out of him. I am curious what he says about posts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm mildly shocked a rep is coming to your shop given the current whatever it is. Whoever it is good on them for conducting business as usual! I've had a slight restructuring of suppliers due to failure to deliver in a timely manner. I don't give excuses to my customers and don't expect them when I am the customer.

Good luck with your demo!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Mastercam quote I got from my supplier just before COVID hit was $12500 for Mill 3D and another $1875 for yearly maintenance. I was going to pull the trigger but the software I currently run does the job and another machine was more important. Mastercam is getting pushed out till 2021 now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I'm mildly shocked a rep is coming to your shop given the current whatever it is. Whoever it is good on them for conducting business as usual! I've had a slight restructuring of suppliers due to failure to deliver in a timely manner. I don't give excuses to my customers and don't expect them when I am the customer.

Good luck with your demo!
    Ive had 3 sales reps stop by in the last 2 weeks. 1 was wearing a mask and the other 2 I met outside and I didnt tell them to put one on.

We seem to be back to normal up here all around. I constantly see pics of people at the beaches in NH/Maine from the last month or so. They made us wear masks in Walmart again and the Grocery stores re-implemented the mask rule after a couple months without.

My sales rep in CT has a lot of Aerospace work that he gets a decent amount of his commissions from and they all dried up with Boeing slowing down and with no one flying anywhere right now he seems to be very slow.

Firearms all over up here is full bore. Smith and Wesson keeps hitting new highs every day. Firearms always does well in a down market.

5. Likes Qwan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    i do believe thats the case. i'm far from a fan of MC, to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgin View Post
    The most reliable posts come from In-House Solutions and Postability. If he got the DMG posts from either of those two places they'd likely be bulletproof.

I'm guessing his post modifications are done by his reseller. In my experience, they're less than stellar (depends majorly on the reseller). Biggest reason I started doing my own.

If things haven't changed that much purchasing Mastercam should yield a handful of good posts - MPMaster, Generic Fanuc 3x & 4x Mill, Generic Lathe 2x & 3x. These are pretty close out of the box and any changes that need to be made are typically pretty straight-forward.
    I've never used Mastercam but a friend of mine uses it and he told me you can't get posts from MC and that the posts come from third parties.....is that true? The post he has for a couple 5 axis DMGs is awful and requires hours of hand edits. The 3 axis VMC post and 4 axis horizontal post work fine. I wouldn't work like that for more than a day or two but hes been doing it for a couple years
    I do believe the posts are 3rd parties, that said, we had a 5 ax post with full machine sim done from Postability and it was great. Showed collisions (if any), ran Gcode sim, which alot of people say only Vericut does, but our post posted the code then ran the sim. I believe there is a thread related to that on the Mastercam forum, but I digress.

I think OP would be very happy with MCX. I really like it and find it pretty easy to use, solid modeling and all. It's not nearly as full featured as a dedicated CAD system, but has quite a few tools. For example, in the newer versions (unfortunately not what I am using) they added push/pull/drag tools to solid modeling. So now you can select a feature (hole, boss, etc) and 'grab' it and reposition it as needed. Very nice.

What is lacking IMO is drafting, it's there, but rudimentary, and no constraints or mates, depending on if you're used to using those tools. FBM (feature based machining) is/was quite bad, but it's nothing I ever "depended" on so...?

Best of luck!

7. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All right I talked to the rep for a few hours today and I must say he is a pretty smart guy. He said he has worked as a cnc mold machinist and also worked at Pratt + Whitney.

He is going to help me get a better computer to handle the software. Mine only has min requirements and it freezes up when I get into 3d modelling.

I didnt get pricing but he said it was like a car dealership. Always wiggle room.

I can upgrade anytime and only pay for the things I need instead of a package that I will only use half of the features.

I may have to pay back maintenance if I opted out of paying it for a few years. They call it something else but that is what it is.

If I am in a jam and need some programming work done he can help or direct me to one of his friends. I guess they all do it on the side cause they are all machinists anyway and its like making extra money on the side without a boss.

I think they make you get a years maint up front with the original purchase. It helps when you have problems and need to call them up.

Posts are all third party. They like using one in Canada. I think it was Postability. The same 2 were posted here earlier.

I like this guy and I feel like I can ask him any questions on any day. He is a nerd and he loves his work.

This guy lives right near Milland. He is an hour from my shop but they are based out of CT on the MA/CT line, Springfield/Hartford.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    I like this guy and I feel like I can ask him any questions on any day.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed, but Mastercam sales rep? "Any day" before they have your money and "any day" after they have your money are going to be two different kind of days.

Thankfully there's a metric shit-ton of Mastercam help all over the internet. Learning the software and getting programming advice will be simple.

10. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MacDac? I use to use them if it is. I liked them, and they were responsive when I needed them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dodgin View Post
    I'll keep my fingers crossed, but Mastercam sales rep? "Any day" before they have your money and "any day" after they have your money are going to be two different kind of days.

Thankfully there's a metric shit-ton of Mastercam help all over the internet. Learning the software and getting programming advice will be simple.
    Semantics I suppose, but you should be dealing with support, not a sales guy when learning the software or needing specific questions answered. Also of note, support is highly influenced by where you are located, just like machine support. When I lived in northern IN the local support was top notch!! I mean like getting answers within hours, and when they didn't have a good answer they always had a work around ready so I could keep making parts.

Tampa area FL? Not so much, Almost always took multiple days to get a response, and I would say a good 50% of the time it was "I am not sure, let me talk to so and so and get back to you"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Semantics I suppose, but you should be dealing with support, not a sales guy when learning the software or needing specific questions answered. Also of note, support is highly influenced by where you are located, just like machine support. When I lived in northern IN the local support was top notch!! I mean like getting answers within hours, and when they didn't have a good answer they always had a work around ready so I could keep making parts.

Tampa area FL? Not so much, Almost always took multiple days to get a response, and I would say a good 50% of the time it was "I am not sure, let me talk to so and so and get back to you"
    I don't have a ton of experience with CAM support but I get an answer within 20 min with SolidCam, Esprit made a similar claim when I spoke with them. I assumed that was pretty standard in the CAM industry but it appears maybe it isn't

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post

You are correct. All depends on the reseller.

I think the OP said it before, but based on proximity to CNC software I'm guessing he won't have any trouble with support. More just emphasizing the point that there's no shortage of user based support on the web.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

but it appears maybe it isn't
    No...no, it is not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This guy lives right near Milland. He is an hour from my shop but they are based out of CT on the MA/CT line, Springfield/Hartford.
    He does?! Crap, don't let him on the Forum! Now, where did I leave my disguise kit and my passport?

He better not be from Henniker - we don't like those guys 'round here...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    He does?! Crap, don't let him on the Forum! Now, where did I leave my disguise kit and my passport?

He better not be from Henniker - we don't like those guys 'round here...
    It was one of those smaller towns/villages not on most maps and where no one will ever drive through. East of Crotched. He still doesnt have power from the storm a few days ago.

Do they even have fast internet up there yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was one of those smaller towns/villages not on most maps and where no one will ever drive through. East of Crotched. He still doesnt have power from the storm a few days ago.
    Whew! Not too close, then.

Do they even have fast internet up there yet?
    I only got fiber a couple years ago, and doubt it's too far north yet. Was cable before that, and twisted pair before cable. And before that I had to ring up the operator to connect me to the Internet.

"Hello, Mabel? Connect me to P0rnhub, would you?"

Boy, did that get awkward...

19. Likes Hardplates, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Whew! Not too close, then.

I only got fiber a couple years ago, and doubt it's too far north yet. Was cable before that, and twisted pair before cable. And before that I had to ring up the operator to connect me to the Internet.

"Hello, Mabel? Connect me to P0rnhub, would you?"

Boy, did that get awkward...
    I remember the dial up days. I got a computer a week after they shut down napster.

I just got the internet last year at the shop and have been having problems with the phone now that it is run through the cable line. I am 100 yards down from the cable company who told me the main line comes right out of their office. I can see the source of my phone/internet and see if their is a break in the line somewhere right from my door.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PegroProX440 View Post
    MacDac? I use to use them if it is. I liked them, and they were responsive when I needed them.
    Yes MacDac. I just got the quote.

Budgetary quote for a Digital Standalone License with Mastercam Mill 3D with one year of Mastercam Maintenance and Support and ½ On-Site assistance. $10k. Says its discounted but I am sure they tell everyone that. Maintenance is $1875/yr otherwise.

Once you purchase Mastercam, you will own it forever! I did not include any Training Classes on this software because CNC Software is offering free MCAM University Online training at this time.

Sounds decent for what it is. I told them if I bought a machine and kept it for 7 years then sold it I would want the software to get me through the 7 years with no additional expenses. They told me that is 100% do able.

I just got the info on a good workstation for this software too. I have the min requirements and it freezes up too much. They sent me this to give me an idea of what computer is needed to run the software.

System Requirements - Mastercam

Edit:

Features a broad range of 2½ dimensional CAM strategies including
    pocketing, contouring, drilling and hole making with toolpath simulation.
    Also includes a full suite of wireframe, surface, and solid CAD tools
    focused on the needs of the machinist. In addition, Mill 3D features
    robust machining strategies for 2-3 Axis, 3+2 Axis positioning, and rotary
    axis-substitution type milling applications. Featuring Mastercam®
    Dynamic Motion technology, it includes roughing, semi-roughing,
    multiple surface 3D HST toolpaths, and Accelerated Finishing strategies
    optimized for high speed machining applications Includes:
    - Design
    - Engrave
    - Rast2Vec
    - Nesting
    - Solids
    - Also allows SOLIDWORKS customers access to the Mastercam for
    SOLIDWORKS Mill product (customers may use one instance of either
    product at any one time.)

22. Likes rickyt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like it is discounted by 2-3k. I have ran Mcam for almost 25 years, Mill, Lathe and Multi Axis. Most guy's that have never ran Mastercam and try it for the first time always bitch and moan about how hard it is to use. I know I am biased because of how long I have used it, but I have also ran other cam software and i just keep going back to Mastercam. One reason is if you know Mastercam you can pretty much find a job anywhere!! Just look on Indeed or Ziprecruiter and look for Mastercam jobs in the US. Another reason is the huge amount of resources to help you learn the software.

If you get it, one of the best ways to get fast is to set your operational defaults and build tool libraries and even make template files with vises and workholding already in them. You can download posts from the Tech Exchange on the Mastercam website and your reseller can dial them in and it will be post and go. They also have tool and holder libraries from most of the major tool manufacturers free for download, and a forum that has Mastercam applications engineers on it every day answering question and helping explain features and toolpaths.

There are many option when it comes to cam software, I'm not saying Mastercam is the best for everyone's business or situation. If you have the time definitely look at what,s out there and find what fits your needs the best. Oh, and my reseller really does an amazing job!! Shout out to Cad/Cam Solutions in Snellville, GA!!����

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rickyt View Post
    Looks like it is discounted by 2-3k. I have ran Mcam for almost 25 years, Mill, Lathe and Multi Axis. Most guy's that have never ran Mastercam and try it for the first time always bitch and moan about how hard it is to use. I know I am biased because of how long I have used it, but I have also ran other cam software and i just keep going back to Mastercam. One reason is if you know Mastercam you can pretty much find a job anywhere!! Just look on Indeed or Ziprecruiter and look for Mastercam jobs in the US. Another reason is the huge amount of resources to help you learn the software.

If you get it, one of the best ways to get fast is to set your operational defaults and build tool libraries and even make template files with vises and workholding already in them. You can download posts from the Tech Exchange on the Mastercam website and your reseller can dial them in and it will be post and go. They also have tool and holder libraries from most of the major tool manufacturers free for download, and a forum that has Mastercam applications engineers on it every day answering question and helping explain features and toolpaths.

There are many option when it comes to cam software, I'm not saying Mastercam is the best for everyone's business or situation. If you have the time definitely look at what,s out there and find what fits your needs the best. Oh, and my reseller really does an amazing job!! Shout out to Cad/Cam Solutions in Snellville, GA!!����

It said around $5750 discount. It is probably inflated just to look like its saving us more so I am not swayed by this at all.

I do like the fact that it is well known and I can get help with it pretty easily through online or through reseller support.

Finding employees shouldnt be too hard when it comes down to it also.

They dont do posts but they work with 2 companies that do them. I think he said one of them was in Canada and one was Postability (maybe thats the Canada one).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It may be In House Solutions, I think they are in Candada. They are the ones who did our post years ago. They are also the company that makes all the training books you see for MasterCam out there. If you end up getting MC and don't do any training, at least get a book or two from them as they do a good job of walking you through all the key strokes to draw and program basic stuff.

One thing that is hard for people to get used to with MC, they have their own lingo. An example, I came from AutoCad in HS and if I want to move something, I select the Move command, in MC it is called Translate. Your copy command is also in that Translate command, you select whether you move it or copy it. In AutoCad, it is separate commands. I am also used to the hot keys from AC which don't work in the default settings in MC. I have been told you can make hot keys in MC, never got around to doing it. For quite awhile I would make my setup custom with somethings the way I wanted it. Then I found out that if anyone was needing help from me, or if I needed help, it made it harder to relay info if I had everything moved and changed from factory defaults. I got to where the only thing I changed was the background color.

I taught a few classes of cnc at the local university and the complaints I kept getting from students was they were annoyed that you had to input every bit of info to make it work right. They wanted and were used to software that didn't give you but a couple choices, which meant very little control of the actual process.