What's new
What's new

Mastercam Solids Kernel Error, why?

draganm

Aluminum
does anyone know why Mastercam suffers so much (maybe just for me) from corrupted Solids files. I can understand maybe a conversion error when importing from Solidworks. MC doesn't like .SLDPRT , fine, the workaround is people send files to me in .X_T format and everything is fine.

However, i drew this part from scratch, now I can't save and keep getting a string of errors, last one being this. Can anyone please explain WTH is going on?

More importantly, how do you fix this? A lot of times i have to erase the solids history tree and that fixes it but this one i don't know?

Mastercam 2018 problems.JPG

does anyone know why Mastercam suffers so much (maybe just for me) from corrupted Solids files. I can understand maybe a conversion error when importing from Solidworks. MC doesn't like .SLDPRT , fine, the workaround is people send files to me in .X_T format and everything is fine.

However, i drew this part from scratch, now I can't save and keep getting a string of errors, last one being this. Can anyone please explain WTH is going on?

More importantly, how do you fix this? A lot of times i have to erase the solids history tree and that fixes it but this one i don't know?

View attachment 258824

i prefer STEP cad file format but you wont get for example the Solidworks history tree or whatever you call it that was used to make the cad model when you import it. most cad software got bugs in it thats why they update the cad software often monthly. the software patches often require more future patchs to fix the problems created by the first software patches

Does the version you are using still have c-hooks? Sometimes when getting an error I can't seem to fix running the 'nohist.dll' will do it. Also, not sure why you can't use a solidworks file? I use them almost exclusively, but I am using an ancient version, MCX6. Although I do have to save out solidworks assemblies as parasolid or step files, then open them to get all the information...

View attachment 258824

I'd be willing to bet that somewhere along the line you're altering some of the geometry you're using to generate your solid features.

soliderror.jpg

Just replicated it pretty simply - made a quick solid, deleted one of the driving lines on a feature, tried to save....warning warning warning, kernel message. I'm not sure what else can cause it, but this seems pretty likely to me.

What's your solids manager look like when this happens?

i prefer STEP cad file format but you wont get for example the Solidworks history tree or whatever you call it that was used to make the cad model when you import it. most cad software got bugs in it thats why they update the cad software often monthly. the software patches often require more future patchs to fix the problems created by the first software patches
this is true, I went to Mastercam and tried ot decipher their procedure for Parasolid Kernel Errors (during importing), it was like 16 steps and involved messing with the registry if memory serves. I just thought to myself " you gotta be shiteing me!" All in all however, i don't hate the system. I jumped forward 10 years from MC9.1 circa 2001 to Mastercan 2017 recently, that could have been a whole lot uglier for me than it really was. I did it using only tutorials and maybe 3 or 4 e-mails to the software distributor. I won't say it was easy, but thank you Mastercam for keeping old timers in mind :)

Does the version you are using still have c-hooks? Sometimes when getting an error I can't seem to fix running the 'nohist.dll' will do it. Also, not sure why you can't use a solidworks file? I use them almost exclusively, but I am using an ancient version, MCX6. Although I do have to save out solidworks assemblies as parasolid or step files, then open them to get all the information...
I can't answer the question about C-hooks,not surewhat they are. However I'm running Mastercam 2018 which is AFAIK the latest version. For some reason, importing a .SLDPRT file will either give me a blank page or a "kernel error". I don't even bother anymore, X_T works well although things like drafting notes do not import= the only drawback

I adopted this method because the Aero division next door does this, when they send work over it's X_T for the CAD and then a second set of files in PDF for all the dimensions and notes. Works well enough

View attachment 258843
Just replicated it pretty simply - made a quick solid, deleted one of the driving lines on a feature, tried to save....warning warning warning, kernel message. I'm not sure what else can cause it, but this seems pretty likely to me.

What's your solids manager look like when this happens?
I think your right. So to summarize, you cannot ever modify or delete any of the original wire-frame used to create a solid from that geometry?
Is there any way to disassociate these things? or even worth doing?
EDIT:

oh heck, easy fix, i just right clicked on the wonky one and deleted it. Is it really that easy ? seems too good to be true
Solids Tree.JPG
Files saves now no-problemo :O
You would think with all the tech the software would ask you " do you want to delete problem geometry from history tree?"

hmmm, dam thing crashed when I tried to open a different file. However everything is opening and running now ok with no errors. Weird

really appreciate the help guys , the job is hard and staying up with software doesn't make it easier

this is true, I went to Mastercam and tried ot decipher their procedure for Parasolid Kernel Errors (during importing), it was like 16 steps and involved messing with the registry if memory serves. I just thought to myself " you gotta be shiteing me!" All in all however, i don't hate the system. I jumped forward 10 years from MC9.1 circa 2001 to Mastercan 2017 recently, that could have been a whole lot uglier for me than it really was. I did it using only tutorials and maybe 3 or 4 e-mails to the software distributor. I won't say it was easy, but thank you Mastercam for keeping old timers in mind :)

I can't answer the question about C-hooks,not surewhat they are. However I'm running Mastercam 2018 which is AFAIK the latest version. For some reason, importing a .SLDPRT file will either give me a blank page or a "kernel error". I don't even bother anymore, X_T works well although things like drafting notes do not import= the only drawback

I adopted this method because the Aero division next door does this, when they send work over it's X_T for the CAD and then a second set of files in PDF for all the dimensions and notes. Works well enough

I think your right. So to summarize, you cannot ever modify or delete any of the original wire-frame used to create a solid from that geometry?
Is there any way to disassociate these things? or even worth doing?
EDIT:

oh heck, easy fix, i just right clicked on the wonky one and deleted it. Is it really that easy ? seems too good to be true
View attachment 258845
Files saves now no-problemo :O
You would think with all the tech the software would ask you " do you want to delete problem geometry from history tree?"

You can modify, but if you change something - say you break an entity - that portion of the solid tree will go dirty. Simply go in, rechain your geometry for that feature to the newly broken entity and regenerate.

As far as disassociating, I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer. I only typically do fixture design for stuff in house, and what I'll usually do is put everything design related onto one level and then blank the original entities as I'm happy with the creation. Then if I need wireframe to machine fixture I'll curve new edges onto a different level so that I'm not picking on the original geometry. I'm not sure if that's right or wrong, but that's how I do it.

Also I can testify that it seems like anything Mastercam 2017 or newer doesn't like step files as much. I'd say that XT files come in easier than anything else that I get.

Ok...so a lot going on in this thread.

First up, I would suggest giving your reseller a call. If you just upgraded, then your on maintenance, use it.

Basically, if you want to keep the solid tree you have to keep the sketches that are driving the features. Same as in any CAD system. You can modify the sketch and simply rebuild the solid since Mastercam is fully associative. If you want to delete the sketches but keep your solid then you need to remove the solids history. There's a button for that on the Model Prep tab.

If you are having problems bringing solidworks files (or others) into Mastercam, typically the quick fix for that is to re-register the dll. You reseller can walk you through that process.

...and the latest version is 2020, not 2018

Go to model prep drop down to remove solid history click on part and hit enter it will fix a dirty model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back