What's new
What's new

mastercam uptirough for hastelloy

ghost_rider

Aluminum
So we tried using a ceramic insert cutter on a job we had to use optirough on a month ago. Now I have another hastelloy job I would like to use the ceramic inserts on we purchased. But I am wondering our issue was that the cutter was coming in and out of the cut too much. Is there a way to stay engaged in the cut while using optirough? I didnt see a setting for such a thing but I will admit that I am self taught with no formal training from mastercam on these toolpaths.

So we tried using a ceramic insert cutter on a job we had to use optirough on a month ago. Now I have another hastelloy job I would like to use the ceramic inserts on we purchased. But I am wondering our issue was that the cutter was coming in and out of the cut too much. Is there a way to stay engaged in the cut while using optirough? I didnt see a setting for such a thing but I will admit that I am self taught with no formal training from mastercam on these toolpaths.

Optirough is kind of a finicky toolpath and I think getting it optimized can be a pain in the dick at times. If the geometry supports it I'll typically use 2D dynamic where I can and then throw in other 3D cutter paths to rough in where it's needed. More work on the front end but it makes the actual machine time look a bit better.

If you're totally beholden to optirough, make sure to use a stock model. That will make it more efficient for sure. And you can also set your cut style to zigzag if the backfeeds are bothersome to you. Not sure how that would work in hastelloy.

There are some tricks you can do to manipulate Optirough but I'm not sure if it's suited to your situation.
YouTube has a bunch of info on this toolpath from the official Mastercam channel to a ton of other channels.
You could always ask on the official forum and have the developers give it a go.

Back