Mastercam Vs. Bobcad Vs. GibbsCam Vs. Any other Cam Software out there. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When working for other companies I have used and was to varying degrees proficient in Mastercam and Solidworks/HSM Express. Most places I worked were Tool & Die, and programmed at the control. Last company I worked for I did everything, all day, every part, on Solidworks/HSM Express.

I absolutely hated Mastercam, a good part of that may have been the teacher, who was a self proclaimed expert at machining who probably wouldn't know the difference between a Jig Borer and a 3D Pantograph. Maybe that is unfair. He was a moron, lets put it that way. Mastercam was 30 clicks to do a simple tool path. I am sure given enough time, and given a very high complexity of parts, I would probably appreciate Mastercam. Having an instructor who actually knew what they were doing would probably have helped as well.

I greatly enjoyed SolidWorks/HSM Express, as long as you did not want to do any 3-D work. With HSM Express you could do 3-D work, but you had to think like a manual machinist and do things the "old fashioned" way, which honestly, works out better a lot of the time. I found the ability to make templates and code variables to be an EXCELLENT way to speed up machining processes. If I could afford a nice enough computer to run Solidworks and I could afford Solidworks, I would absolutely run it and HSM Express.

Fusion... I run fusion in my shop. I hate fusion. I will tell everyone that will listen about how much I hate fusion until they start to go cross eyed and drool. It seems to have been created and is maintained by a bunch of millennials with no machining background. I am dumbfounded at the clumsy, confusing, often hidden menu and selections that they state are "intuitive". I frequently run into machining operations that simply will not work in Fusion with hours of frustrating attempts. I have previously received responses on their forum akin to "why would you want to do that?" for what I consider pretty basic and straightforward machining processes. Aspects that appear to have functionality are not tied to anything literal. Estimated machining time, not actually tied to the machine specs you input. File size, not actually the size of the code output.

I could easily fill several pages with issues I have with Fusion.

So, my recommendation, get Fusion. It has to be the most capable, functional, and adaptive program I have ever used in its price range. I pay $0 per month, on a yearly basis. I still make a great deal of my parts on manual machines, if I need to make 2, they get modeled and programed. I make some pretty impressive parts, in my humble opinion, on a 30 year old VMC and Fusion. They don't always get along, and I had to write my own post to get Fusion to play nice with my VMC, and OH, by the way, if you want to use ANY of the new softwares, you had for SURE either be set up to drip feed or buy a machine with LOTS of memory. My old VMC has 46k of memory. I have to be pretty damn creative to machine some parts with such a short amount of code.

It took me almost 10 years to grow my hobby into a full time business, it is pretty humble compared to many here, but it is mine. Without Fusion I would not have the ability to continue growing as I am right now. I have been able to develop a product line along with doing more complex work for customers. I have been able to machine parts, quantities of parts, that I would never have attempted if I had to manually code them.

$1500 for Fusion, for a company that has multiple employs, machines, cash flow, sounds like a steal to me.

Free for Fusion, for a company with one employee, with a machine, no cash flow, sounds like a steal to me.

2. Likes Pete Deal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have Bobcad V28, and after about 3 years, I am doing pretty good with it.
    What is hardest for me is the amount of hand-editing I have to do.
    Largely as I usually run 4 or 8 vices, and every machine setup has to be called, each one assigned an offset number. Then I copy paste my operations into the machine setups, then for each one, I have to go re-select the geometry, re-compute, edit posting to the offset, and verify in simulation.
    I will verify each Machine setup in simulation one at a time, and then the whole lot... to weed out the errors.
    And there are plenty of errors, my last revision took 20 minutes on the cad side, and two hours on the cam side.
    Aside of that, it ok. But, I wonder too if there is a better way as I am losing so much time in the foolishness.

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe ask for a One CNC demo? I have been a pretty happy user for quite some time (since XR2 and currently have XR6). I got it because of the price and the added bonus of no license fees. Also you can sell it off if you want to which is great.
    The post editor is so easy to use. The only reason I have not upgraded to XR7 is because XR6 does everything that I need. It has become a bit pricier since I first got it and has had one seriously crap "upgrade" (I think that was XR4 or 5, can't remember properly) but I am happy with it.
    I use the mill Professional so I can model in 3D but ask them about different options.