What's new
What's new

Get G12 to post from mastercam

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

I used Mastercam's "circle mill" toolpath to make a counterbore, and was expecting one line with a G12 for Haas's circular pocket milling. Instead I got a few pages of G02 and G03.

Anybody know how to get Mastercam to post G12? We're running Haas VF3 mills. We do have 5-axis trunnions, but it's a 3-axis job I'm learning to use CAM with.

Thanks

My opinion, unless you have severe control memory issues, don't worry about how long the program is. Just wait until you start programming HSM or 3D toolpaths. Good code is good code as long as it fits in memory, and the control doesn't choke on it.

Depending on what you're trying to do, Pocket, HSM or a ramp toolpath will generally do you better than G12/13.

Hey guys,

I used Mastercam's "circle mill" toolpath to make a counterbore, and was expecting one line with a G12 for Haas's circular pocket milling. Instead I got a few pages of G02 and G03.

That's not how it works. The circle mill toolpath is it's own path, it's not a G12,they are totally separate things.
These "few pages of G02 and G03" you're talking about, is it too much code for your control to handle? There are ways to shorten up the code if that's the case.

The machine memory isn’t my issue. We make a lot of our own fixtures, and while our toolmaker knows g-code, he doesn’t use mastercam. If he wants to change something or use a program to as a baseline for something very similar, G12 is a lit simpler to modify on the fly.

I also prefer it since you have more control; changing depth of cut, start and end diameters, etc. is a lot easier with G12.

Then the only option that I can think of is to use Manual Entry and write the G12 path with it's parameters, and then post it out.
Or just program it at the machine since the operator needs to make changes.
Maybe have a G12 template program that he can copy and change at will for whatever size holes he needs and use that as a sub program, then call up that sub for holes.

The machine memory isn’t my issue. We make a lot of our own fixtures, and while our toolmaker knows g-code, he doesn’t use mastercam. If he wants to change something or use a program to as a baseline for something very similar, G12 is a lit simpler to modify on the fly.

I also prefer it since you have more control (at the control); changing depth of cut, start and end diameters, etc. is a lot easier with G12.

Fixed it for you. Once you get the past the learning curve, Mastercam will let you control the toolpath however you like for the most part. Sure, the canned cycles will be better for your operators, but not in general.

Back