Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Esprit.

IF you have started with Mastercam and Okuma lathe (not Fanuc, not Haas, not any, but Okuma), you may have worked all the stupid bugs out of the post, Okuma uses different G-codes and the Turning canned cycle is different G85 is not G71. So again IF you have done all that....get Esprit for a Multus. Mastercam is not compatible in any way to the Multus.

IME Esprit had very few bugs to work out of the out of the box Multus post.

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Quadjay View Post
    All,
    We are looking to purchase a CAM system for our Okuma Multus. We have one company singing the praises of Esprit for just that machine, but we have a few guys familiar with Mastercam. The rep for Mastercam is suggesting a seat that will not only program the Okuma but our VM's, HMC, and our other lathes. The price is up there, but taking that out of the equation, I've heard horror stories about the post processing of Esprit and Mastercam. The bottom line is, we are wanting ease of use without the junk code included. I appreciate any advice you may have.

Thank you!

If you have not purchased the software a good way to test both Esprit and Mastercam is to send them a print with code and see which one can duplicate your programs you run. Have both companies demo your part and compare the programs to the ones you make. I would then pick the one that delivers the best results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    If you have not purchased the software a good way to test both Esprit and Mastercam is to send them a print with code and see which one can duplicate your programs you run. Have both companies demo your part and compare the programs to the ones you make. I would then pick the one that delivers the best results.

So if YOU make bad gcode you're gonna pick the CAM software that creates bad gcode too!

The resulting code is just part of the equation. The most important part is what it takes to create the file that creates the correct gcode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Mastercam is not compatible in any way to the Multus.
    Curious as to why you say that. I don't have a Multus, but our sister shop did. They had to sell it because nobody wanted to try and learn that machine.
    I would have jumped at that opportunity.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To get a good post you must invest in it, either with time, money, both or blood sweat and tears. I don't care what CAM supplier you use.

That said, anyone who says you can't program a Multus effectively with Mastercam either isn't up with the times or just hasn't gotten the right people on the bus to make it happen. It is a very capable software just as Esprit is.

Though I can't speak directly to Esprit for anything other than wire.

If it were my money, I would get what your people are most familiar with, and find the right people to work with for training on how to use that software effectively for your machine and post processor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by huskermcdoogle View Post
    To get a good post you must invest in it, either with time, money, both or blood sweat and tears. I don't care what CAM supplier you use.
    The Esprit certified posts are locked and not editable. They work out of the box...no sweat...no blood...no tears.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    So if YOU make bad gcode you're gonna pick the CAM software that creates bad gcode too!

The resulting code is just part of the equation. The most important part is what it takes to create the file that creates the correct gcode.
    If you make bad code then you should not be programming. If you want to invest into a software package then send the reseller/ proven programs that run in your machine. I am not talking about the most complex programs but proven programs. Have Esprit and mastercam prove then can make your parts.

From my experience there is rarely a post processor that works exactly the way a customer wants it, usually there were some sort of tweaking of a post from specific headings, tool lists, built in macros, tool checking etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    The Esprit certified posts are locked and not editable. They work out of the box...no sweat...no blood...no tears.
    What if you're anal like me and need your posts to look a certain way?
    Or do you give them a sample program and they edit the post to fit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    What if you're anal like me and need your posts to look a certain way?
    Or do you give them a sample program and they edit the post to fit?
    Can you give an example?
    Most cutting operations will have set syntax so what is it that you customize? Program header?
    Most common programmer options can be handled by switches in the machine (the machine in Esprit, not the machine on your floor). If there isn't a setting to modify what you need you can get custom edits done but then you end up branching from the original.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Curious as to why you say that. I don't have a Multus, but our sister shop did. They had to sell it because nobody wanted to try and learn that machine.
    I would have jumped at that opportunity.
    You used V9 so you could just copy all your usable Okuma posts over. So you may not be aware of this but if you started out with X or newer and Okuma (lathe), CNCSoftware were a bunch of bitches about getting posts for those machines. From the standpoint of ignorance (not stupidity) it was a major, MAJOR hassle to get a working Okuma post. Specifically an Okuma M lathe. And even the 4020 with a side-mount carousel, those days (about 9 Months really) were a nightmare. Maintenance was paid.

Now speed up to 2017-same issues with EMastercam and CNCSoftware just being (for lack of a better word) non compliant. Issuing posts that are not what we need or want, refusal to modify to our specifications. And when they were helpful painfully slow. It has been 2.5 years since the Multus hit the floor, it has been making good chips using Esprit for 1, when we bought a suite.

Some people seem to have better relationships with the actual people at Mastercam, maybe I was just never in the hit crowd or something.

R

11. Likes Mtndew liked this post