What's new
What's new

Mastercam vs. Gibbs

jkowal

Plastic
Is there anyone on here who has used both of these CAM software's and would be willing to share their opinions on one vs. the other? I currently use Gibbs and am looking to compare the 2 as I may decide to switch to Mastercam. Please do not comment if you have only used one or the other as I am looking for a comparison.

Closest to using both was having both resellers come into my place and do a demonstration on two of my parts.

Each took me 6 hours to program, proof and tweak by hand.

Gibbs guy spent 20 minutes or so on each to produce a working programs, while explaining to me how he was going about it.

MasterCam guy started over several times trying different ways to tackle as each way had a little issue that did not produce a working program. After about an hour I realized I did not need all the Bells and Whistles that came with the program...at that time. I bought Gibbs, made many thousands of great programs with it over the years...but now after 10-15 years of using I am starting to feel, maybe masterCAM would have been a better choice.
In my opinion Gibbs has gone downhill since it was bought/merged with 3D or whatever with they did. Every year more and more glitches with each release.

If you take a guy with ten years of Gibbs, And a guy with ten years of Mastercam, It's hard to make the switch between the two, They both work good just in different area's, with different terminology and verbage.

Closest to using both was having both resellers come into my place and do a demonstration on two of my parts.

Each took me 6 hours to program, proof and tweak by hand.

Gibbs guy spent 20 minutes or so on each to produce a working programs, while explaining to me how he was going about it.

MasterCam guy started over several times trying different ways to tackle as each way had a little issue that did not produce a working program. After about an hour I realized I did not need all the Bells and Whistles that came with the program...at that time. I bought Gibbs, made many thousands of great programs with it over the years...but now after 10-15 years of using I am starting to feel, maybe masterCAM would have been a better choice.
In my opinion Gibbs has gone downhill since it was bought/merged with 3D or whatever with they did. Every year more and more glitches with each release.

The only thing I get from this is the MC guy didn't know what he was doing. It's not a reflection on the software...

edit: I get what you are meaning though (should have been more clear on that), if I was getting that demo I would think "not buying this software!" :)

Back