What's new
What's new

Price of master cam newest version

Bpparts

Plastic
Hello
Does anyone know the price of the newest version of master cam for milling machines cnc... I do not need the lathe version. Can I get just the milling version.
Thanks for your help...

Call your local rep, they will give you the exact price. There are different levels of Mastercam.
And yes you can just get the mill version without lathe.

Hello
Does anyone know the price of the newest version of master cam for milling machines cnc... I do not need the lathe version. Can I get just the milling version.
Thanks for your help...

You did not mention what type of machining you need it to do and there are different mill levels to choose from. Don't let the dealer sell you a higher mill level than what you need.

I have Mill. There is also Mill Entry which is so restricted as to be not all that useful, then there is Mill 3D which gives you all the multi-surface 3D stuff, but way more than Mill.

Cost? Depends on your local reseller, but "a few thousand $".

Regards.

Mike

Mill3D is definitely the minimum package I'd have. Even if you don't do 3D you would get a "Dynamic 2D" toolpath that allows you to generate dynamic toolpaths which utilize the full cutting length of the tool and you get much better tool life. It is however useless if your machine doesn't have enough memory AND you cannot drip feed the program from a PCMCIA card, network or RS-232 as programs could get huge.

The price depends purely on your reseller. CNC software won't dictate any baseline for it.

Mill3D is definitely the minimum package I'd have. Even if you don't do 3D you would get a "Dynamic 2D" toolpath that allows you to generate dynamic toolpaths which utilize the full cutting length of the tool and you get much better tool life.

Um, no. I have Mill, not Mill3D. I use 2D Dynamic Mill every day.

Regards.

Mike

Many reasons.

I will state the top three in my opinion:

3: price. starts around 5K or so. (my info might be outdated)
2: speed/flexibility/ease of use: Far easier learning curve and no requirements for setup. One line is all you need for a toolpath. With point toolpaths (drilling, circle mill, helical milling etc..) nothing at all.

1: Community. The re seller community is huge. The user community is gigantic. Help is much faster and easier to come by than any other package.

The manufacturing community is huge with all sorts of experience and education levels, I have not met too many people on the floor that are willing or to use such complicated software like NX, Creo etc to get stuff done in a shop.

Your view of manufacturing might be a bit jaded if you are using NX! I am guessing you are in a high end Aerospace shop.

Last edited:
FWIW: until this morning on Seattle CL there was an X8 DVD of Mastercam with dongle listed for $1500.
There was no other information provided in the posting.

I had to Google to see when X8 was issued, apparently 2014.

It's not legal to sell a Mastercam license except as part of purchasing a company.

Hahaha to all those fuckin' guys who are like "I don't wanna rent my god damn software... I wanna OWN it!"

Well, if you can't sell it, you don't own it.

This is pretty much par for the course on every piece of software...even video games. Yes, even Autodesks eula reads exactly the same way.
Whether or not a company chooses to enforce the eula....?

errrr, but you're buying it to use it and not to sell it?
You're buying it to ensure that in the morning when you double click, it WILL launch and allow you to earn money today.
And tomorrow.
Without a gun being held to your head...

Oh, I get it...

But the counter argument is that it takes like 15 years of subscription to start breaking even with the upfront capital cost of some of this stuff. Don't forget, you stop paying maintenance on these things and the guys who make it will find a way to screw you. Wanna change computers? That'll be a $300 fee to switch the node lock. You think you have perpetual OS support? What happens when Microsoft sunsets the version of Windows your $20k CAD/CAM investment is locked into?

I guess this argument makes sense if you're prepared to be the tin-foil-hat guy with a computer totally de-networked, chugging along hoping every component holds out so you don't need a new node lock for $300, aching along with what will be uncompetitive, ancient software forever. Who the hell wants to live like that?

But I understand it! You all know how much I love being a Fusion fanboy, and on Friday, I just wrote a PO for a 5 axis seat of NX CAD/CAM.

I actually think this is an absurdly powerful combination. NX is obtuse and hugely powerful. Fusion is fast and cheap. I'll probably keep using Fusion for most of my quick-turn, get it done work, but I've got NX waiting to dial shit in to the n-th degree.

Wanna change computers? That'll be a $300 fee to switch the node lock. You think you have perpetual OS support? What happens when Microsoft sunsets the version of Windows your $20k CAD/CAM investment is locked into?

What are you talking about now? lol
Microsoft doesn't make old versions of Windows stop working like your implying. The only thing that happens is they stop putting out security updates.
Switching the software to a new computer is as easy as putting a usb device into a different computer. How is this difficult? Most cam companies are using dongles or server licenses and if we are talking about someone who's trying to lock down an instance of an OS and software, I think we're talking about a dongle license being used.
Same goes for the OS. You can update components of the computer all day long and your OS will be fine. The dongle could care less about component swaps too.

But I understand it! You all know how much I love being a Fusion fanboy, and on Friday, I just wrote a PO for a 5 axis seat of NX CAD/CAM.
I actually think this is an absurdly powerful combination. NX is obtuse and hugely powerful. Fusion is fast and cheap. I'll probably keep using Fusion for most of my quick-turn, get it done work, but I've got NX waiting to dial shit in to the n-th degree.

Now this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Now this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

I didn't invent this concept - guys I know who make WAY more money than you or I at this hustle stumbled upon this combination and found it works absurdly well. It is no different than an ID guy iterating fast and loose in a sketch book with a BIC pen before sitting down at a seat of CATIA to make the actual design.

You did not mention what type of machining you need it to do and there are different mill levels to choose from. Don't let the dealer sell you a higher mill level than what you need.

Back