Mastercam X5: programming rapid moves between chains
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mastercam X5: programming rapid moves between chains

I hope this is the right forum. Please move the thread if not.
    I have Mastercam X5 and a Sharp mill with Prototrak MX2 retrofit here at work. I program it from drawings in Mastercam. Is there a way to program rapid moves from one chain to another in Mastercam? Say I've got the quill at a certain depth, and I know I won't hit anything. I've got 8 standing bosses that I need to go around. I select all 8 chains, but I need to hit Cycle Start after each chain. Does that make sense? Is there a parameter or checkbox I'm missing?

Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SigurdACVW View Post
    I have Mastercam X5 and a Sharp mill with Prototrak MX2 retrofit here at work. I program it from drawings in Mastercam. Is there a way to program rapid moves from one chain to another in Mastercam? Say I've got the quill at a certain depth, and I know I won't hit anything. I've got 8 standing bosses that I need to go around. I select all 8 chains, but I need to hit Cycle Start after each chain. Does that make sense? Is there a parameter or checkbox I'm missing?

Thanks.
    Probably something in your machine specific post, but check and make sure you don't have "force toolchange" checked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

'Force Toolchange' is not checked. I have to have 'Rapid Retract' checked: otherwise, the program won't run at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ask your reseller.

oh, X5 and a prototrak. I get it

5. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    ask your reseller.

I would have to check with the foreman about the reseller.

That's just what we have for machinery and software here in the toolroom. There is a dedicated CNC department for 3-axis work. Trying to make money with what we have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    ask your reseller.

Arrrr matey.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks.
    Makes perfect sense.
    I wrote a post for my 2axis Prototrak (SMX)where it would pause at a Z move and the control would pause and promt saying "set Z-2" (or whatever) and then pause and say "check Z" for the retract.
    I got my reseller to complete it because i couldn't sort the drill cycle.
    This was 4D Engineering in the UK, but i believe a 2ax post exists on their database so i'd contact your reseller.
    I would use dxf for 90% of the programs, and then for the rest i'd 'gram in mastercam.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I may not totally understand your question, but I would use reference points. I use them a good bit with tricky geometry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Makes perfect sense.
    I wrote a post for my 2axis Prototrak (SMX)where it would pause at a Z move and the control would pause and promt saying "set Z-2" (or whatever) and then pause and say "check Z" for the retract.
    I got my reseller to complete it because i couldn't sort the drill cycle.
    This was 4D Engineering in the UK, but i believe a 2ax post exists on their database so i'd contact your reseller.
    I would use dxf for 90% of the programs, and then for the rest i'd 'gram in mastercam.
    That's what our current post does: it pauses at Z moves and says "Check Z" (retract out of the hole/pocket), then Cycle Start, then "Set Z" (drill the hole/set depth/etc). Thing is, it does that after chained contours also. I want it to stay at Z depth, but rapid to the next chained contour. I understand that ordinarily, this would be risky, but if the geometry is standing in space, that's fine. I'd prove it out and then go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rstewart View Post
    I may not totally understand your question, but I would use reference points. I use them a good bit with tricky geometry.
    I think what I'm asking for is a way to change the post so that it doesn't add Z moves after contours. I want it to rapid to the next one without asking for a Z move or a Z check. This machine doesn't have a programmable Z-axis.
    I am unfamiliar with reference points. Could you explain further, please?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's what our current post does: it pauses at Z moves and says "Check Z" (retract out of the hole/pocket), then Cycle Start, then "Set Z" (drill the hole/set depth/etc). Thing is, it does that after chained contours also. I want it to stay at Z depth, but rapid to the next chained contour. I understand that ordinarily, this would be risky, but if the geometry is standing in space, that's fine. I'd prove it out and then go.

I think what I'm asking for is a way to change the post so that it doesn't add Z moves after contours. I want it to rapid to the next one without asking for a Z move or a Z check. This machine doesn't have a programmable Z-axis.
    I am unfamiliar with reference points. Could you explain further, please?
    Well now that is something useful for us. I imagine your post for that machine "knows" it can't control Z so it is "asking / telling" you to say ok (by pressing cycle start) you know where Z is. I wouldn't try to change that in the post IMO because it will come back and bite you one time where Z is in the way of the next move. I would hand edit the code for this scenario.

12. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's been a while since I last programmed an MX2. If I remember right, the post spits out whatever Z moves you program, and the control stops whenever it sees a Z. If you set EVERYTHING on the "Linking Parameters" page to 0, the only z moves should be at the beginning and end of the operation. I just tried it in X8, with a generic FANUC post, and it gave me what I think you want.