What's new
What's new

Mastercam X5: programming rapid moves between chains

SigurdACVW

Aluminum
I hope this is the right forum. Please move the thread if not.
I have Mastercam X5 and a Sharp mill with Prototrak MX2 retrofit here at work. I program it from drawings in Mastercam. Is there a way to program rapid moves from one chain to another in Mastercam? Say I've got the quill at a certain depth, and I know I won't hit anything. I've got 8 standing bosses that I need to go around. I select all 8 chains, but I need to hit Cycle Start after each chain. Does that make sense? Is there a parameter or checkbox I'm missing?

Thanks.

I hope this is the right forum. Please move the thread if not.
I have Mastercam X5 and a Sharp mill with Prototrak MX2 retrofit here at work. I program it from drawings in Mastercam. Is there a way to program rapid moves from one chain to another in Mastercam? Say I've got the quill at a certain depth, and I know I won't hit anything. I've got 8 standing bosses that I need to go around. I select all 8 chains, but I need to hit Cycle Start after each chain. Does that make sense? Is there a parameter or checkbox I'm missing?

Thanks.

Probably something in your machine specific post, but check and make sure you don't have "force toolchange" checked.

'Force Toolchange' is not checked. I have to have 'Rapid Retract' checked: otherwise, the program won't run at all.

ask your reseller.

oh, X5 and a prototrak. I get it

I would have to check with the foreman about the reseller.

That's just what we have for machinery and software here in the toolroom. There is a dedicated CNC department for 3-axis work. Trying to make money with what we have.

Makes perfect sense.
I wrote a post for my 2axis Prototrak (SMX)where it would pause at a Z move and the control would pause and promt saying "set Z-2" (or whatever) and then pause and say "check Z" for the retract.
I got my reseller to complete it because i couldn't sort the drill cycle.
This was 4D Engineering in the UK, but i believe a 2ax post exists on their database so i'd contact your reseller.
I would use dxf for 90% of the programs, and then for the rest i'd 'gram in mastercam.

That's what our current post does: it pauses at Z moves and says "Check Z" (retract out of the hole/pocket), then Cycle Start, then "Set Z" (drill the hole/set depth/etc). Thing is, it does that after chained contours also. I want it to stay at Z depth, but rapid to the next chained contour. I understand that ordinarily, this would be risky, but if the geometry is standing in space, that's fine. I'd prove it out and then go.

I may not totally understand your question, but I would use reference points. I use them a good bit with tricky geometry.

I think what I'm asking for is a way to change the post so that it doesn't add Z moves after contours. I want it to rapid to the next one without asking for a Z move or a Z check. This machine doesn't have a programmable Z-axis.
I am unfamiliar with reference points. Could you explain further, please?

That's what our current post does: it pauses at Z moves and says "Check Z" (retract out of the hole/pocket), then Cycle Start, then "Set Z" (drill the hole/set depth/etc). Thing is, it does that after chained contours also. I want it to stay at Z depth, but rapid to the next chained contour. I understand that ordinarily, this would be risky, but if the geometry is standing in space, that's fine. I'd prove it out and then go.

I think what I'm asking for is a way to change the post so that it doesn't add Z moves after contours. I want it to rapid to the next one without asking for a Z move or a Z check. This machine doesn't have a programmable Z-axis.
I am unfamiliar with reference points. Could you explain further, please?

Well now that is something useful for us. I imagine your post for that machine "knows" it can't control Z so it is "asking / telling" you to say ok (by pressing cycle start) you know where Z is. I wouldn't try to change that in the post IMO because it will come back and bite you one time where Z is in the way of the next move. I would hand edit the code for this scenario.

It's been a while since I last programmed an MX2. If I remember right, the post spits out whatever Z moves you program, and the control stops whenever it sees a Z. If you set EVERYTHING on the "Linking Parameters" page to 0, the only z moves should be at the beginning and end of the operation. I just tried it in X8, with a generic FANUC post, and it gave me what I think you want.

Back