What's new
What's new

MDI input/read only nc file

taiwanluthiers

Cast Iron
Got a problem... (and the boss doesn't seem to know how to deal with remotely)

Was shutting down the machine for the day. Part of the shutdown procedure is to make sure nothing is in the spindle (the fear is when the air supply is shut off the toolholder with its tool will just fall right off the spindle, so this is done as a safety precaution). So I have to go to MDI and input the command to switch to an empty tool slot.

Problem is one of the machine, when I go into the MDI interface, and the PROG screen, is that there's a note saying the file is read only. So when I try to input a MDI command it will not accept it at all. Called the boss and showed him the screen and he said he'll deal with it on monday.

Is there any way to solve this on the machine? I think maybe the boss accidentally write protected the CF card the nc file is on... (I didn't know CF card had a write protect feature, only SD card has it).

I temporarily solved it by taking the tool off the spindle as I can't actuate a tool change without MDI (as this isn't one of those fancy new fangled Haas machine...)

Here is a screenshot of what's going on. It will not accept any manual commands.

1614421816117.jpg

If I were the owner of the machines, I could probably argue that point with my employees, but I am the employee, so I do what he says. And he says never shut off the machine and its air supply with a tool in the spindle, so I do what he says. At least if something breaks even though I did everything he says he can't blame me for it.

Turns out once the machine is rebooted the "read only" thing magically disappears. So I don't know what happened. The interface changes if you press MDI (but in the case of a couple of days ago, it did not, stuck on that interface while it says "read only").

Maybe the machine got infected with Skippy?

2HY87HrtCZwFGt3HU6asDD.jpg

Skippy: increase volume by 60 percent: My name is Skippy

BG may mean background edit. The program called in background edit is read-only because it's the one currently being run in memory.

Tools are generally retained by Belleville washers and air is used to release the tool.

If my boss was that stupid I would be sure to ask lots of questions and never tell the answer to one he didn't know :willy_nilly: If you want the stuff above the shoulders that costs extra

So how do you disengage BG? I had no idea it was engaged to begin with (I only followed direction in startup, did not touch any other key)

That is NOT the problem. The whole point of Background edit is to creat and/or edit programs while another program is running.

Paul

Back