What's new
What's new

Mill Part Setups (SolidWorks/MasterCam)

quickid71

Plastic
I'm trying to figure out how to separate my different mill part setups in SolidWorks Cam so my machine will automatically stop between each operation.

For example, I've got a three operation part right now with three different mill part setups- one for each operation. However, when I generate the code, it runs the whole program through without any stops in the program. Which means I have to physically stop the machine and restart it manually instead of it finishing an op and holding waiting for a restart after I flip the part.

I know there's got to be a way to enable some sort of stop between mill part setups. I just can't seem to find anything on the web or the search on here.

Any help is great appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out how to separate my different mill part setups in SolidWorks Cam so my machine will automatically stop between each operation.

For example, I've got a three operation part right now with three different mill part setups- one for each operation. However, when I generate the code, it runs the whole program through without any stops in the program. Which means I have to physically stop the machine and restart it manually instead of it finishing an op and holding waiting for a restart after I flip the part.

I know there's got to be a way to enable some sort of stop between mill part setups. I just can't seem to find anything on the web or the search on here.

you maybe talking adding manual op in mastercam and you can manually type in gcode like a M0 to stop. you can often add a (COMMENT) too if needed. its there in mastercam adding a manual op, not the easiest to find if never done before but its there
make sure there is code after to turn spindle and coolant back on after the M0. tapping dont work too well if tap not turning when going down into hole. usually M0 stops spindle and coolant on majority of machines

Not sure about Mastercam for Solidworks, but in older versions of MCX you can use a "manual entry"toolpath. Check the box at the bottom that says "output - as code" and in the text box type in M00 between your parts/setups. Depending on machine, you may need to do something like

G91G28Z0.
G91G28Y0.
M05
M09

etc, depending on machine make and what you want it to do/where to go while you are flipping parts.

adding manual op is also common to move table off to the side out of the way so long tool during tool change dont hit anything. its not always in tool change macro to move in X and Y all the way over to make room for long length tool change
you can type in gcode as needed, usually you need to test it to make sure working as expected
i have also used to turn spindle backwards with coolant to try to get chips to unwind off a drill or mill, sometimes works like 95% of the time, can add M0 to confirm chips off and or manually pull chips off a tool. not exactly something thats programmed in mastercam, that is you use or add a manual op in mastercam to manually type in gcode

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I can add an M00, add code to move the spindle/table out of the way then the code to bring everything back and restart. I just figured that the software would already have all of that so I didn't have to manually enter that info in code.

Where it really sucks is if I'm making changes to a part and have to keep posting it. Every time I post, I have to hunt for the places I need stops and put all that info back in.

I honestly feel like there should be a little box to check that automatically puts stops in the code between mill part setups. What's the purpose of having "mill part setups" if they don't actually act as different mill part setups?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I can add an M00, add code to move the spindle/table out of the way then the code to bring everything back and restart. I just figured that the software would already have all of that so I didn't have to manually enter that info in code.

Where it really sucks is if I'm making changes to a part and have to keep posting it. Every time I post, I have to hunt for the places I need stops and put all that info back in.

I honestly feel like there should be a little box to check that automatically puts stops in the code between mill part setups. What's the purpose of having "mill part setups" if they don't actually act as different mill part setups?

If you use the manual entry toolpath (if available in your version) it will post it into the code. You just put the manual toolpath where you want it. No need to edit the nc code.

Right click under the last step you want to insert an M0, you should see an option that says post operations, insert the program stop.

Attachments

• M0.jpg
    M0.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 243
Right click under the last step you want to insert an M0, you should see an option that says post operations, insert the program stop.

Shawn,

It looks like you're on the right track. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like SolidWorks Cam has that option like CamWorks does.

Attachments

• Capture4.jpg
    Capture4.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 99
Turn on the option stop on the control if it has it the machine will stop at the next tool change and wait for a green button push

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Make each setup a separate program that can be run as a sub program once the individual programs are sorted, the main program runs sub 1, then M01, runs sub 2 then M01 and so on.

Our post processor has the option in the "Posting" tab of the tool operation to change the stop choice from M01 to M00. It's been a few years so I'm unsure if we requested that our if it's standard. Worth a look.
Just change it on the last tool before you need the stop.

CAM program doesnt know what you want and you need to tell it. that includes M0 stops and even picking tooling. CAM software needs to know your preferences.
for example even if you tell it you got a 6" facemill if it sets up a cut requiring 50hp and or you cant hold the part and it goes flying out of vise / fixture and or do a lot of damage its almost always requires some decisions to be made. or part vibrates too much with 6" facemill and it works better if you use a 4" facemill. CAM aint going to know part fixture vibration limits
same if you need a 4" dia hole if CAM picks a 4" drill and it tries to drill it in one go requiring over 30 hp on a 10hp machine that can be a problem
same as adding a M0 to rechuck part at lighter pressure before finish cuts so it doesnt warp so much when released from vise fixture. CAM not going to make those types of decisions for you usually

CAM program doesnt know what you want and you need to tell it. that includes M0 stops and even picking tooling. CAM software needs to know your preferences.
for example even if you tell it you got a 6" facemill if it sets up a cut requiring 50hp and or you cant hold the part and it goes flying out of vise / fixture and or do a lot of damage its almost always requires some decisions to be made. or part vibrates too much with 6" facemill and it works better if you use a 4" facemill. CAM aint going to know part fixture vibration limits
same if you need a 4" dia hole if CAM picks a 4" drill and it tries to drill it in one go requiring over 30 hp on a 10hp machine that can be a problem
same as adding a M0 to rechuck part at lighter pressure before finish cuts so it doesnt warp so much when released from vise fixture. CAM not going to make those types of decisions for you usually

Tom,

What you're describing is way beyond what I'm asking for. What I'm requesting is very simple and has nothing to do with the physical abilities of the machine guessing our intentions.

The operation tree (see attached picture) in SolidWorks is made up of one or more "mill part setups." Unless I'm an idiot, I use each mill part setup as a different side of a part or any time I need to adjust or move a part in the machine- a different "mill part setup."

That being said, the ability to simply have the post processor put an M0 after each "mill part setup" would be extremely nice. This could easily be done with the click of a button rather than having to manually go in and modify the code manually.

It appears that there are some of you that are following what I'm asking for and have experience using this function on certain software. Maybe I need to update to something more than the SolidWorks cam software.

Attachments

• Capture6.jpg
    Capture6.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 91
Have you looked at the Operation tree/Edit definition/Posting tab? Do you have that option or not? We use CAMWorks here so I'm assuming it's the same.
If you don't have it, you can get it with a new post.

Have you looked at the Operation tree/Edit definition/Posting tab? Do you have that option or not? We use CAMWorks here so I'm assuming it's the same.
If you don't have it, you can get it with a new post.

Chris,

Here's what I have available. Let me know if you need to see anything else.

Also, if you're using SolidWorks with the CamWorks add-on, you should be able to go to the SolidWorks Cam tab and see everything that I'm seeing. (Assuming you've got the SolidWorks Cam add-on enabled)

Attachments

• Capture7.jpg
    Capture7.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 99
I'm using SolidWorks with CAMWorks 2012 Pretty old but it should be similar.
OK, edit your last tool before the next op. There should be a "Posting" tab between the "Advanced" tab and the "Optimize" tab. Do you have that? I'm beginning to think you don't and my advice is no good.

Shawn,

It looks like you're on the right track. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like SolidWorks Cam has that option like CamWorks does.

I can see your image that well but it look like you are under the feature tree tab instead of the operations tree tab. Go to the operations tree and right click on the last before inserting the M0.

Back