What's new
What's new

Mold building software

bluchip

Stainless
I have read most all the previous topics that I could dig up in the archives, but am not sure I have found a real answer to our exact quandry. If this has been covered before, bear with me or point me in the correct direction.
We are a mold shop strictly in aluminum die casting industry. We have been successfully building on time, on budget, and no correction molds for 25 years now. The obstacle we face now is our ignorance in handling solid models. Our customers on an increasing basis are handing us solid models of the finished casting in various formats(igs,stp,etc). What would be the easiest software to use that can take the model, scale it up for shrinkage factor, estabilish parting lines, split the model along those lines and then use the "halves" to creat the surfaces in the mold? This would essentially be designing the mold inserts, this data would then be used to estabilish toolpaths with any number of CAM softwares available.
Our considerations for this type of software would be ease of use, ease of use, ease of use, then cost.
By now you pros are laughing and scratching your heads and "wondering how did this clown stay in business this long?" Well, when you're done laughing see if you can post a reply to give this poor helpless sap some direction. :confused:

bluchip,
Although I don't know CAM software well, I was poking around some sites a few days ago. I happened to see that FeatureCAM (www.featurecam.com) has a product that is supposed to take solid objects directly and generate code from them. You might want to read about this on their webpage...

--Alan

P.S. Please understand that I am only a hobbiest and don't have any experience with these programs. It could be that this feature is widely available now, etc.... Nonetheless, I thought I *might* be able to point you to something that could possibly work for you...

Well, Solidworks will do the mold design without any trouble at all. Then you can spit out a solid model of the molds to be made and read that in whatever cam software you have handy.

Its really two distinct problems, and even if there exists software that "can" do both, you'll probably get better results using the right tools.

Bluchip,
It’s amazing how easy/quickly you can go from a solid model to tool paths. I’ve been using GibbsCAM for ten years and used Mastercam before that. For doing mold work and importing solids the gibbs package will cost around 15k and you pay 10% of that every year for tech support and upgrades. I don’t do mold work but I had my sales person give me an example and it was very quick… He imported the model…split the model and asked if I wanted a male or female mold…keep in mind I have been using this stuff for a while so I really could follow the salesman’s every move. Some of the guys here speak very highly of Onecnc…it’s low cost, no support/upgrade fees…but I can’t imagine how a 3K package can do what GibbsCAM…will...BUT... I really hope it can, as maybe we will see the cost of these 15k cad cam packages come down. Just a happy user.
Carl

If you are doing for real mold work you will be better off getting a dedicated CAD system, like a solidworks, Pro/E type modeler. I don't make molds for a living but I've done a few simple ones, and solidworks makes it so easy it's hard to believe it when you see it. Other software will do it, but I think the high end stuff will save enough time that it will pay for itself in pretty short order.

"EASE OF USE???"
They all get easier to use the more you use them. :D

Well several programs come to mind. As has been mentioned Solidworks and Gibbscam. There are others that are just as capable like Autocad Inventor. I mentioned Autocad because just the mention of it's name will raise the blood pressure of a few.

Any good solid modeling program like Inventor or Solidworks will easily create your mold designs. If you aren't familiar with either then I would recommend taking some classes on using them and no better time to get some thrown in than when in the negotiation phase on your purchase.

I prefer using CAD programs to work my Solids and 2-D drawings. They are much better suited to handle anything that the future has in store as far as design work. I am not a big fan of software like Gibbscam and others that stick it to you (many times more $$$ than Solidworks or Inventor) for their integrated CAD features. I want my CAM software to do what it is suppose to, generate efficent code. Not say "Oh, you have a new XYZ machine and for only another $1k or $2k we can create a new Post Processor for it". :eek: I like the idea of a $3k CAM package that will properly generate code.

Using a CAD package and something like OneCNC and you are still thousands of dollars ahead and your annual maintance will be less as well.

OK, Gibbscam rant over! There are others out there as well with the same "Stick it to you" philosophy.

Just last week the amount of soild models received just got to be to much to handle any other way so I purchased OneCNC as a CAM / post with.
You can draw CAD in it also, and they are a partner with Solidworks. So everything is suppost to translate.
I though of buying SolidWorks also, just to have what the customer is using, as well. Still may do so in the weeks to come.
I think this new 3D ability is really going to help me move parts through more easily.

Solidworks and Onecnc is a powerful combination, the .STEP translation between the two is rock solid reliable. SW runs about 4k which still in the end gets you top of the line CAD and CAM at about 4-10k less than some other less capable CAD/CAM software.

And....you won't need any classes to get up and running, just go through the tutorials with either program and you will hit the ground running.

Nervis1 hit the nail on the head.

Onecnc for programming and solid works for modeling.

Magic combo.

high end = unigraphics.
mid range = mastercam with moldplus
low end = gibbscam

Oh I stand corrected if you are designing a super cargo carrier or next generation fighter jet from the ground up then you need unigraphics. The rest of us mortals can get by with Solidworks and Onecnc.

I use the Solidworks/Gibbs combo with great results doing permenant molds. While Gibbs alone can do the work it sure is easier to do the design work with SW.

ARB

bluchip,

For dealing with 3D models that need 3D tool paths generated, I use the combination of Solidworks and FeatureCam – both seem to work well together. Although FeatureCam has a mold package add-on, I do not have it but do use their 3D surface milling add-on.

I think the more versatile (and, probably cheaper) approach is to model your part (or import an .iges file from customer) in a CAD program that has mold design tools, generate your mold and then create a new 3D model file of the mold for import into a CAM program that can do 3D surface milling.

To give you a brief overview of what Solidworks can do, what follows are excerpts of some of Solidwork’s features for creating a mold from a 3D model:

--------
Mold Design

You create a mold using a sequence of integrated tools that control the mold creation process. With the model finished, you can use these mold tools to analyze and correct deficiencies with either SolidWorks or imported models. Mold tools span from initial analysis to creating the tooling split. The process is as follows:

• Draft Analysis . Examines the faces of the model for sufficient draft, to ensure that the part ejects properly from the tooling.

• Undercut Detection . Identifies trapped areas that prevent the model from ejecting.

• Parting Lines . This tool has two functions:

o Verifies that you have draft on your model, based on the angle you specify.
o Creates a parting line from which you create a parting surface. The Parting Lines tool includes the option to select an edge and have the system Propagate to all edges.

• Shut-off Surfaces . Prevent leakage from core to cavity on models that include holes or openings in the plastic part.

• Parting Surfaces . Extrude from the parting line to separate mold cavity from core. You can also use a parting surface to create an interlock surface . In such instances, you can create a separate surface to separate mold cavity from core.

• Ruled Surface . Adds draft to surfaces on imported models. You can also use the Ruled Surface tool to create an interlock surface.

• Tooling Split . Creates the core and cavity by automatically populating the core, cavity and parting surface, based on the steps followed earlier.

The Mold Tools toolbar also includes additional tools common to the mold process, such as Scale and Move Face , as well as surface modeling tools such as Planar Surface and Knit Surface
The Mold Tools Overview has more information on when and how to use the various mold tools.

------

Hope this helps,
plm

Most all software has a scale command for shrinkage factors. However, some imported files have " permanent errors in translation" that more or less make them unscalable. The nastier the data the more likely there are to be errors. Simple data can be recreated in something scalable but try doing this with a laser scanned part with multiple compound radius faces that are basically unmeasurable without a cnc CMM and you will have real fun. Whatever you decide try it out, have demos. I started out with gibbscam only and wound up with solidworks/ gibbscam. Solidworks is a very powerful tool that will do things much easier than Gibbscam in generating the data in most cases.

I've been using Solidworks for quite a while now and nothing compares for 3-d work, until recently.

check this product out... Alibre

Then check out the price.....it'll blow you away.

I downloaded their demo and was making parts in about 1 minute.

It's simple and easy to use, however I haven't got to see the visual mill that they piggyback into the software yet.....That's really got my curiosity up.

For $1500.00 you get the full-meal-deal with cam, cad, sheet metal, and photo rendering.

That's a phenominal savings over anything I've seen yet, including OneCNC.

The only catch is.....I haven't seen how much the CAM program is after the first year, so I guess I'll be checking into that.

All I can say is....if you've used Solidworks, you'll jump into this with very little stumbling.

Hi all,
It has been a week or so since I posted this query and I wish to thank you for your responses. Based nearly entirely on the responses I received from the forum I contacted, with in 36 hrs OneCNC, VX, Solidworks, and Alibre all via email. This is a typical method we use to test the waters, if a sales group cannot handle sales leads then how are they going to support us after sales?
With in a day all had responded. I told them all of our needs and data and that we will decide in 2 mos. Here is the fuzzy feeling factor thus far:
#1 Solidworks regional called a mere hour after emailing and their local called and set up a demo time in 2 hours after inital inquiry.

#2 VX called w/in 12 hrs and arranged a demo period ,not exact time but pretty good

#3 Alibre admitted that it may not be the ideal software for the job but could get it done and promised to mail an evaluation. :rolleyes:
#4 OneCNC was easy to get a hold of...I called them and was passed to an important individual (I'm told) and we chatted, he wanted me to send an igs file for him to work out a demo with. Due to various reasons it took me 2.5 hrs before I got them the file. I called them on 6/17 (Fri) to verify receipt of file and the lady said he has it and would schedule something Mon. Mon came and went, Tue PM I called them and asked again, the lady said he was "slammed with work" (not a very professional response, that's a black mark. Hand me to another responsible individual, do not let me under the impression that they are too busy for us. She might as well have said "go away". She would'nt be working here)and would call me Wed 6/22. Well folks it's Mon 6/27, and no OneCNC. Guess who gets the :( . If this Mickey Mouse outfit cannot handle a sales lead that falls into their lap, this , to me is indicative of the support we would receive. I should not have to CALL (not email) them 4 times to receive information on their product. I am not saying they are out of the running but they have a lot of ground to make up if they are able. :( :(
We'll keep you posted.

bluchip,

Just responding to your post with more details assuming we've guessed your identity right and your receptionist's name starts with an "A".

Last Wednesday 6/22 a call to you was made and a message was left with your receptionsit after she informed us you were not in your office.

Another call was attempted on Friday but there was no answer and no way to leave a message.

I believe another call has been made today to schedule an online demo and another message was left.

Sorry if there has been any confusion and we hope to hear from you soon to schedule.

OneCNC FL

Back