What's new
What's new

Need help w/ Centroid Digitized File into AutoCad

markz528

Hot Rolled
I'm just learning how to digitize with my Centroid M400 control. I use AutoCad 2010 Mechanical 2D. I am not familiar with Cam programs at this time - still learning. I am on the low end of competent with AutoCad 2010 Mechanical - don't know much about the advanced features.

I do have a copy of 2008 MasterCam that I have never used. Can that help me?

I've got a job that I need to digitize. I ran a test part and cannot figure out how to get it into AutoCad.

Centroid saves the digitized file as a .cam extension. When I export it, I expected a .dig file but instead it saved it as a .txt file (see below). Its not a .csv file, but a text file - looks like x, y and z values. Honestly not sure what I would have done with the .dig file either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the digitized file into AutoCad 2010?

digitized.JPG

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the digitized file into AutoCad 2010?
Maybe toss up a photo of the part ? I don't think anyone is going to graze through all those points to see what you're talking about.

If it's a swoopy shape, search "import point cloud" for some hints. My neighbors used to do something similar and there was quite a bit of hand massaging to get a happy ending.

Thanks! Looks like my version of AutoCad does not support point clouds. Looks like 2014 is the oldest version that supports it.

The attached file is just an example. I need to digitize a cylinder head surface to make a valve cover adapter.

Keep in mind that the controller is probably not scaling its output (to the appropriate location based on probe stylus tip radius). I've brought point clouds into Fusion 360 and turned them into surfaces, then subsequently into solid models. It is cumbersome, and the scaling features aren't there to do it right. Many digitizing machines are meant to work with a software designed specifically for things like point cloud scaling, whether a CMM or a VMC with a probe.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't know if I can call it much progress, but I was able to at least see my scan using CloudCompare (see below). But when I convert it to dxf I still cant see it in AutoCad.

cap.jpg

Not sure if this will help you.... when I bought the probe for my Centroid M400 there was a program included called Mold Magic. I believe the function of the program was to create a mold or die to reproduce the reverse of the scanned part. Like if your scanned item was a female cavity it would generate a program to make a matching male version.

Well according to my receipt, I have Mold Magic. I will try that. If I can't figure it out I will be calling Centroid in the morning.

Well - success!

I was able to open it in MasterCam and convert to a dwg so I could open it in AutoCad. But it wasnt great as it was just dots that were hard to deal with.

Much better solution was using Fusion 360. My cousin helped figure it out. Converted the .txt file to a .csv file in Excel. Was able to import that into Fusion 360 and then export as an AutoCad .dwg file. I can use it in 2D and it is properly scaled.

I'm rolling now............

fusioncap.jpg

I am quite certain that it is the center of the probe. I will know soon enough - my first head scan is converting - its slow. But when I probe holes, slots, etc. it gives me actual size.

For what I'm doing I don't need extreme precision. I probed the calibration standard that came with the probe and at 1 inch its 0.001 inch off or so - will deal with that later.

Getting smarter.........

As Emanuel said, it takes a lot of hand massaging.

I will post some pics later, but the outside scan (takes about 2 hours) is quite good and it automatically compensated for the probe tip diameter. It did exactly what I needed from it, but needed some massaging.

The inside scan is another story. Appears that the probe tip compensation is backwards as the profile is smaller than its supposed to be - in the Y direction actual rough measurement was around 5" and it showed approximately 4.5" with the scan. I did it twice with the same results. The machine automatically determines if it is an inside or outside scan - not an user input on the scan I was using.

I'm working with Centroid to get an answer on what is going on.

markz,
You may be my hero. You and your cousin may be one of the very few people to figure this out.
I have struggled with it for 4 years with no luck.
I am still pissed at Centroid for the cost of this and their here it is, have a nice day attitude.
I will try some of the steps you have mentioned.

Back