What's new
What's new

In need of programmers

recruit1

Plastic
I am a technical recruiter and have multiple CNC and NC Programming positions throughout the country. Anyone who s interested in new employment opportunities or knows someone who is, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a technical recruiter and have multiple CNC and NC Programming positions throughout the country. Anyone who s interested in new employment opportunities or knows someone who is, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but what do you offer to justify taking part of somebodies earnings? Is it just that you know of some people that need programmers? I have always wondered if there was some thing to these arrangements that I'm not getting. That is if you are offering to find someone a job in exchange for a part of their hourly pay. I honestly don't know of anybody who you would want to program for you who would be willing to split their pay with someone, or need help finding a job. Again, I'm not trying to attack you, I'm genuinely curious about what you are offering, although I'm not looking for a job.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but what do you offer to justify taking part of somebodies earnings? Is it just that you know of some people that need programmers? I have always wondered if there was some thing to these arrangements that I'm not getting. That is if you are offering to find someone a job in exchange for a part of their hourly pay. I honestly don't know of anybody who you would want to program for you who would be willing to split their pay with someone, or need help finding a job. Again, I'm not trying to attack you, I'm genuinely curious about what you are offering, although I'm not looking for a job.

To clear up your misconception, as a recruiter, if I place a Programmer at one of our client, the client pays us for every hour the contractor works. If the programmer is making $50/hour, than he receives 50/hour. In no way does the contractor pay a dime out of his pay.

See, that's the kind of deal that I've heard of, only it was more like company pays 50 an hour, programmer gets payed 30. I just don't see how someone doesn't end up short. Do companies go through a contract agency to avoid directly hiring until they know someone will work out? Or is it a permanent contract situation, where you take the difference between what an employer is willing to pay, and what the employee will work for forever?

With the temp/contract agencies we have used, the agencies pays for things like benefits, insurance, unemployment, etc for the employee. Then, at the end of the contract we can choose to hire full time or not.

It is really just minimizing risk till you know if someone will work out, or if you only need short term help.

If it is a recruitment for permanent hire type situation, usually the recruiter only gets paid for the first year. Many people looking for jobs have no idea what is out there or how to look for it. A good recruiter knows who to talk to in order to find either the right person, or the right placement for people. It is all about networking. Also, the "employee" doesn't come up short as they are agreeing to a given wage which if they are moving onto a new situation, is likely a marked improvement on previous salary. The "employer" is agreeing to a given wage, and though it might be a little higher than they might want to pay, as long as they are getting a return on their labor investment, they are operating a sound business model. So still a win. Now when the recruiter fees come out of the equation, the "employer" obviously will make out a little better, unless they decide to share that difference with the employee, but I have never heard of that. I have yet to meet a business owner that won't continue to pay as little as he feels he can get away with and still keep the employee.

Husker,
If you really feel that way ( I have yet to meet a business owner that won't continue to pay as little as he feels he can get away with and still keep the employee.) , and you are skilled, you should be looking for a new job. A wise employer knows the value of good employees and will pay them a fair wage and benefit package to keep them. If times are tough and the company is just barely getting by, you do what you have to. But there are good companies out there to work for. Up to you to find them.

To clear up your misconception, as a recruiter, if I place a Programmer at one of our client, the client pays us for every hour the contractor works. If the programmer is making $50/hour, than he receives 50/hour. In no way does the contractor pay a dime out of his pay.

If the programmer would get the job by himself the hourly rate would be $85-$95. $35 to $45 going to you. Even the Mafia gives better percentages.

It's ok that you do not get the concept of staffing agencies. However, if someone isnt working and a company only needs a contractor for a certain time period, the company goes thru staffing agencies, then we would place the contractor.

Temp and placement agencies work fine for low skill, low demand positions, but I don't think they're a good fit for high skill high demand. If I were out of a job and needed to cover a gap until landing another sweet position I'd contact a certain 5 axis contract programming group I know that has a very solid reputation.

If the programmer would get the job by himself the hourly rate would be $85-$95.

On what planet is a programmer getting $85-95/hour? I can see an agency providing a contractor for those $'s, but definately not direct

Just to set the record straight, agencies usually get more than a direct rate or any rate that the programmer could get on his own. That is why people contract and travel throughout the country, to make more than they could being a direct employee. For instance, I recently placed an NX programmer for 60/hour and per diem. He is working 55+hours per week, time and a half for anything over 40 hours. Do the math, he is not complaining. I just posted here to see if there is an Esprit/Mastercam programmer out there that is looking for work. Didn't mean to upset some people.

On what planet is a programmer getting $85-95/hour? I can see an agency providing a contractor for those $'s, but definately not direct

I have nothing personal against the OP. But those agencies do not discuss the real percentages. I am glad to expose it. Now if somebody wants to get this type of work then they know typical numbers. It's like looking at the nutrition label on a box of Captain Crunch. You might buy a box the first time but choose something healthier in the future.

triumph406, in my line of work those numbers are typical. I have seen rates in the 120/hr range. If you incorporate yourself you can bypass the middleman and get the full rate. I have seen some of these temporary contracts go for 3,4,5 years. And all that time the agency is skimming the cream off the top. A 60/40 is a typical split. The parent company is not paying you benefits or any bonus. It turns out to be cheaper way of doing business.

It's worse for immigrants with green cards. One guy told once "it's like being in prison".

Husker,
If you really feel that way ( I have yet to meet a business owner that won't continue to pay as little as he feels he can get away with and still keep the employee.) , and you are skilled, you should be looking for a new job. A wise employer knows the value of good employees and will pay them a fair wage and benefit package to keep them. If times are tough and the company is just barely getting by, you do what you have to. But there are good companies out there to work for. Up to you to find them.

RJT, I am currently in a decent situation, and I am compensated fairly, if we could get things profitable again (much on my shoulders), I would be much more happy with my compensation situation. Could I make more elsewhere, sure, but I wouldn't have nearly as much freedom to do the things I like to do as I do now.

I worked as a consultant for this company for three years before I came on full time. Anyway, he wanted me full time very early in our dealings, and after many attempts/offers I respectfully declined until he asked me what it would take. He about barfed at the number, and after about six months finally came to the table with a reasonable offer. My point was, it is very hard to find companies that don't end up taking advantage of at least a few people that they have on payroll, whether they see or understand they are doing it is another thing. It isn't until someone goes to leave that they sit down and evaluate the actual value of that particular employee. It's just part of being an owner that you have to save everywhere you can. Payroll, especially if they cut the checks themselves is always a big contant drain on the account, an investment it may be, but each month, month over month, it is relatively constant, much like rent/mortgage, insurance, etc, but typically a much bigger percentage than those.

Back