What's new
What's new

New offer from Autodesk

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, just puttin' it out there, this is what came in via E-mail today:

Get the power to make anything
Be prepared for now and the future - trade in your old perpetual licenses and trade up to new 1- or 3-year subscriptions of your choice.

You can save on any eligible software including our new industry collections, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Revit, Inventor, 3ds Max, Maya, and many more.

Don't wait, this offer ends April 20, 2018.
save now

SWITCH-BACK OPTION We’re committed to your ongoing satisfaction. If you’re not completely satisfied, you can switch back to your perpetual license.

So now the million$ question: What EXACTLY is the difference between a perpetual seat vs. subscription seat versions of any of ADSK's software?

'Cos from what I was told ( and E-mailed in the past ), they are both exactly the same except one expires and the other don't.
And, if they are in fact identical, then why would I be more satisfied with the flavor with a ticking time bomb in it?

With the old "perpetual licenses", if you skipped a couple of versions, and wanted to upgrade from, say AutoCAD 2015 to AutoCAD 2018, you would pay less than some upgrading from 2010 to 2018.

The subscription is designed to keep you on the latest version. If you don't subscribe, you don't get updates for free, but the program itself will keep working even without a subscription. I have been using AutoCAD 2015 for 4 years without a subscription-I just got a subscription and was able to upgrade to 2018.

I have been using AutoCAD 2015 for 4 years without a subscription-I just got a subscription and was able to upgrade to 2018.

OK, so there is one advantage: If you are a perpetual holder without active maintenance, you can trade-in the perpetual license and get the latest revision for a year.

So what about for those WITH active maintenance?

I got the same email, but I must have interpreted it wrong :)

If you have a 2015 perpetual version and decide to "trade it in" the agreement says you are not longer entitled to use that perpetual license. So lets say I trade it in for 2018 subscription. The agreement also says there is a 2-3year period before you can go back. So if I decide to go back to my perpetual do I give up the current subscription that I got to use for 2 years and get my old 2015 perpetual license back that won't open any of the last 2 years worth of work? or do I go back to perpetual at the current subscription version I was at?

If you don't subscribe, you don't get updates for free, but the program itself will keep working even without a subscription. I have been using AutoCAD 2015 for 4 years without a subscription-I just got a subscription and was able to upgrade to 2018.

You may be getting subscription and maintenance terms confused. When a subscription is not paid the software will NOT continue to work.

I got the same email, but I must have interpreted it wrong :)

If you have a 2015 perpetual version and decide to "trade it in" the agreement says you are not longer entitled to use that perpetual license. So lets say I trade it in for 2018 subscription. The agreement also says there is a 2-3year period before you can go back. So if I decide to go back to my perpetual do I give up the current subscription that I got to use for 2 years and get my old 2015 perpetual license back that won't open any of the last 2 years worth of work? or do I go back to perpetual at the current subscription version I was at?

you'll need your magnifying glass to read the Willy Wonka super fine print at the bottom of the contract!

With HSMworks, Autodesk decided to make it not work with newer versions of Solidworks. This is a new change and an entirely arbitrary restriction to force people onto their subscriptions.

So they're making my $8000 software worth... $1600... but then again, they already made it worth 0, so...

With HSMworks, Autodesk decided to make it not work with newer versions of Solidworks. This is a new change and an entirely arbitrary restriction to force people onto their subscriptions.

So they're making my $8000 software worth... $1600... but then again, they already made it worth 0, so...

What do you mean it doesn't work with newer versions on SW?
If your HSMWorks falls with in the 3 year window it does and that isn't an autodesk thing, HSMworks did that before they got bought out. I have run HSMWorks 2015 with SW2017, then HSMworks 2016 in SW17 and HSMWorks 17 in SW17 and 18.

so HSMWork 2015 will work in SW2018 , HSMWorks 2014 will not

If your HSMWorks falls with in the 3 year window it does and that isn't an autodesk thing, HSMworks did that before they got bought out. I have run HSMWorks 2015 with SW2017, then HSMworks 2016 in SW17 and HSMWorks 17 in SW17 and 18.

Also, how in the world would you expect an external vendor to develop a future-proof add-in?

You must have a special version, because HSMWorks is backwards compatible with SW not forward compatible. Much like Rob said the can't really guarantee future proof software. I have never gotten it to work and the reason I did not upgrade to SW2018.

HSWorks 2018 will run in SW2015 but not the other way on the installs I have. I can even remember not being able to install the newest version of SW until the HSMWorks make a compatible version.

Len dont you run educational versions of SW? aren't they always a year behind?

Also, how in the world would you expect an external vendor to develop a future-proof add-in?

I had had HSMWorks 16 when SW 17 came out and it worked just fine didn't update it until SW was more solid after sp0.

hell I have solidcam 15 and it still works in SW 17

as well as quite a few other add ins that are two to three yrs old.

Len dont you run educational versions of SW? aren't they always a year behind?

yes and a research seat which is the same as commercial release, plus I also do side work with companies that are on the current releases

Nevermind the below I see you already answered it.

Glad it works for you.

yes but isn't your SW2017 really the commercial SW2016

Like I said I would love to have it work like that on mine, but I have tried it. a couple years ago when HSMWorks gave me a license extension and when it expired and I had to go back to the previous version I could not install it with a newer version of SW.

Glad it works for you,but I have a feeling it does not for most.

OK, so there is one advantage: If you are a perpetual holder without active maintenance, you can trade-in the perpetual license and get the latest revision for a year.

So what about for those WITH active maintenance?

I’m expecting my ADSK rep this week to explain everything. I have active maintenance on a perpetual license of product design suite ultimate. As far as I can tell, my bill would go up around $1k/yr for the same stuff. We’ll see.....

I’m expecting my ADSK rep this week to explain everything. I have active maintenance on a perpetual license of product design suite ultimate. As far as I can tell, my bill would go up around $1k/yr for the same stuff. We’ll see.....

I am also PDSU-perpetual, so what would be a benefit to ME ( or you in this case ) for switching?

Can you ask your rep what is the difference between the perpetual and subscription versions?

I am also PDSU-perpetual, so what would be a benefit to ME ( or you in this case ) for switching?

Can you ask your rep what is the difference between the perpetual and subscription versions?

Oh I plan on grilling him with questions lol. I spent little time reading through the multiple emails I’ve received at this point, due to other work chaos. That said, my current understanding of what I did read is we won’t have to do anything. Everything will be status quo, updates and all. At least for this year. The top new subscription package didn’t seem to offer anything above our PDSU.

I’ll update this after I get the real scoop.

csharp;3127489 yes but isn't your SW2017 really the commercial SW2016 [/QUOTE said:
sorry but you are wrong or just confused on how EDU and research works

so first SW 2016-2017 = SW 2016 , the year at the beginning is the version of SW
So the current EDU is SW 2017-2018 so we are on SW 2017 and will get SW 2018-2019 in MAY/June ish so we can have all the computing labs install and working before August.

now as I said the research license is the same release schedule as commercial because research is working with companies that have contracted with the university to develop something that in the end is theirs to sell. So I have SW 2018 now, just have to flop serial numbers in my PC and point to a different serve.

we also have students working internships that use the latest release and that is why we also have the research seat so we can open and program parts for machining.

I known how this works since I worked for the VAR 15 years ago.

sorry but you are wrong or just confused on how EDU and research works

I known how this works since I worked for the VAR 15 years ago.

Thanks for clarifying and your resume. It is likely I am wrong and confused. So the EDU are only behind until June. Basically from Sept until June of the next year.:D

Len
Maybe you can share with others how you are getting around the below error. I have SW2017 SP3.0 Installed and according to you I can run HSMWorks 2016, yet I keep getting this error and the addin will not load. What am I doing wrong??

hsmworks.png

Back