For a noobie starting out, would you recommend Fusion 360 as a CAD program? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently switched from Solidworks to Fusion 360 and I don't think I'll ever go back(I also use Inventor at work.) Solidworks is definitely a powerhouse but I have yet to find anything that left me wanting with F360(besides the power mirror and center-line tools, but NBD.)

Everything about it has just been much smoother. The community is more enjoyable, Autodesk is extremely friendly and constantly putting out free learning material either on their website or their youtube channels. It seems like everything about SW is expensive. If you are a new to CNC machining, another huge plus is NYC CNC's youtube channel. John is constantly putting out incredibly easy to understand videos that are focused on modeling or design-for-manufacturing or CAM- you name it. I've learned so much because of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So after a few weeks of Solidworks at college, I am liking it a lot. Unfortunately my home computer is not up to the task of running it, so I can only mess about with it at school.

I would say 95% of me getting a hang of the program and consequently liking it is due to my instructor, who is top notch.

One of our class assignments is to make a 3d printed part from a solidworks design we create. We have a commercial 3d printer at school, but it still takes 1 hour to do 1 cubic inch.

Can anyone shed some light on the CAM add-on / plug-in that allows a Solidworks file to be converted to a CAM program for CNC machining?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    So after a few weeks of Solidworks at college, I am liking it a lot. Unfortunately my home computer is not up to the task of running it, so I can only mess about with it at school.

I would say 95% of me getting a hang of the program and consequently liking it is due to my instructor, who is top notch.

One of our class assignments is to make a 3d printed part from a solidworks design we create. We have a commercial 3d printer at school, but it still takes 1 hour to do 1 cubic inch.

Can anyone shed some light on the CAM add-on / plug-in that allows a Solidworks file to be converted to a CAM program for CNC machining?

I would go to Autodesk and download HSMWorks, as a student you can get it for 3 years, I like it much better than SWCAM, but it does have some issues, mainly turning and some 4th and 5th axis stuff, but for 2-3 axis it rocks.

Also if you lean it it is the same interface for Fusion 360 and Inventor HSM which you can get for free for 3 years too!

I have been using it here at ASU since before Autodesk bought them, 2011 ish.

Plus this fellow CHEEZEHEAD wouldn't steer you wrong .

originally from Cedarburg

4. Likes Spud liked this post