What's new
What's new

SolidWorks Cam Feature Help

quickid71

Plastic
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to SolidWorks Cam and am trying to cam a fairly simple feature on the edge of a part. I'm not sure what I need to do to cam the small 1/8" fillets around the perimeter of this. They are on the edge at a 45 degree angle. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 112
Chris,

I'm not sure I follow. I have tried various feature options and they all try to machine the feature straight down through the part perpendicular to the face.

The feature is 45 degrees on the edge of the part and would require and Z and X movement or Z and Y movement at the same time.

I guess I'm really trying to learn what type of feature to use (pocket, slot, open profile, hole, engrave, etc.) and what line or face to select as my entity and end condition.

I think I understand now. They aren't dimples like those made by a ball mill. They are cuts at a 45 degree angle.
Then my way would be holding the part at that angle and milling them (I hate that plan. Extra set ups annoy me lol) or 3D milling them with a ball mill (my preferred method). You'll have to make a contain sketch to avoid potential tool marks on the top surface IMO. Does that help?

There is not simple feature recognition for doing those fillet marks. You will have to create a work plane and drill those with a ball nose endmill or use a surfacing operation to machine those fillets. I would create a coordinate system and machine those from the top or front work plane. You will need to make a sketch and treat those fillets like a drilled hole.

You know, CAM is great and all, but that's about a 20 minute write the code with a pencil operation. Create 4 subs to start low and move up at a 45º angle for right, left, top and bottom and then move to each location and call the sub, or move to the first position and loop the sub 9 times to do all of the slots with incremental moves for the spacing.

The easiest way would be to use a ball end mill of smaller radius than that of the cut, and select 3D Adaptive Clearing, selecting the faces to be cut in the geometry tab. A 5 minute job to do that.

Create a sketch on the centerline of the feature at a 45° angle and do a curve feature. It will run the ball at a 45° angle right down the center. You can then just pattern the feature if they are equal distances.

Back