What's new
What's new

NX vs ESPRIT: VAR recommendations?

trochoidalpath

Cast Iron
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I've about had it with Fusion360. Mostly 3D 3 and 4-axis milling, good in-process probing support, probably need turning in a year or two. So it sounds like time to set up some demos/trials of ESPRIT and NX. Sounds like those are two of my best options? Hypermill looks great but like it's aimed at 5-axis stuff more, probably overkill for me right now. And if I end up going with ESPRIT, I'll probably use Solidworks for CAD, if that makes a difference.

I understand ESPRIT is a direct-sold model, so I've reached out to them. Anyone have a NX VAR they've had good experiences with?

I'm currently half way through a month long NX trial through Swoosh Technologies. Any VAR should be able to set you up with a full trial of NX for CAD and CAM (though they probably won't provide a post processor). May be a sales tactic, but they've treated me like a paying customer during the trial and have been quick to answer any questions I have had with examples and additional detail. I've primarily interacted with their manufacturing applications engineer who has been very helpful.

I've been posting periodically about my experience with NX here: From Fusion 360 to... NX? hyperMILL? What else?.

In contrast, DP will set up a demo for you, but to my knowledge will not provide an actual trial license for any amount of time. They may offer to have an applications engineer come to your location to work with you for a day, but I personally really appreciated that Siemens offers a full, no-commitment trial of the software.

I'm currently half way through a month long NX trial through Swoosh Technologies. Any VAR should be able to set you up with a full trial of NX for CAD and CAM (though they probably won't provide a post processor). May be a sales tactic, but they've treated me like a paying customer during the trial and have been quick to answer any questions I have had with examples and additional detail. I've primarily interacted with their manufacturing applications engineer who has been very helpful.

I've been posting periodically about my experience with NX here: From Fusion 360 to... NX? hyperMILL? What else?.

In contrast, DP will set up a demo for you, but to my knowledge will not provide an actual trial license for any amount of time. They may offer to have an applications engineer come to your location to work with you for a day, but I personally really appreciated that Siemens offers a full, no-commitment trial of the software.

Thanks for all the info!

How do posts work in NX? (I have a Speedio, so presumably there must be a good one?)

For obvious reasons, I'm less than excited about the idea of sharing space with someone new for a day. Maybe we can work something out, though.

Hello.
I've dealt with both. In my case Saratech was terrible from the point of view of sales. Say one thing not deliver another. Blame everything on Siemens. Esprit on the other hand was super smooth. Great support, transparent sales. This is not to say that Saratech has terrible support. I used them a few times and the engineers unlike the sales people seem knowledgeable. I still would probably buy nx because it's the best cad. I don't know about it for cam but I am guessing it's good too.

Thanks for all the info!

How do posts work in NX? (I have a Speedio, so presumably there must be a good one?)

For obvious reasons, I'm less than excited about the idea of sharing space with someone new for a day. Maybe we can work something out, though.

I honestly haven't gotten into posts yet. I'm actually on a Speedio too and will be happy to share what I learn down the road. Like most everything in NX, there's a Post Configurator/Builder that's extremely powerful and flexible but takes some work to dial in. The VAR may be able to sell you a post. I haven't discussed it with Swoosh yet but intend to soon.

I share the same concern about having someone here for a full day, especially given that my wife is pregnant. I'm sure they'd be willing to do something remote as well -- they were likely just accommodating those who are taking the current situation less... seriously.

DP Technology is my Esprit VAR and they've been great. Good in house training for us (2 weeks) when we bought, good email and phone support. And when I visited them at IMTS, I got a sweet backpack :D

Hah!!! I got a precision mass produced chinese injection molded ink pen complete with silk screen logo and a lid!

Yes, but did that Inspector Gadgets pen have ink in it???:) That sly dog TeachMePlease isn't talking about that his backpack came filled with 100 dollar bills to help pay for those 2 weeks of training!:eek:

Back