What's new
What's new

Opening large files

spock

Stainless
A friend of mine recieves large files from his customers, and sometimes they dont open well in SW. I know, no big surprise. "Trash in-trash out".......maybe

In the last shop I worked in, we had the same trouble. SW would chew on a file for hours trying to heal surfaces and so on. So we had a HUGE custom PC built. It didnt help at all, the limitation was the software.
We bought a seat of Tebis, loaded it on a decent laptop, and "bang" you open the same file instantly.
What I want to know is this: Is there another software that stands out in its ability to open files of various origens (and been through who knows how many translations)? That doesnt come with the tebis pricetag? What are some of you guys doing to get thru this?

Solidworks have some serious problems with big files. Speed, memory, everything grinds to a halt. Open the bleeding thing in Rhino and it just zips along... (I guess that is a tip for another program to try. Pricetag is certainly reasonable).

I'm not sure it is relevant but if you are using the XP64 bit variant of Solidworks there is even a bug to make your day. If you do anything at all to a large file it will grow incredible in size (20-40%!). This can be verified and somewhat fixed if you have to send it somewhere by opening it, then not doing anything at all, and then saving again - it will shrink 20 to 40% again. This is a verified bug so Solidworks will probably have a fix in the next SP.

I have SW 2007 and program with Mastercam X2. I have received files that were in excess of 30 megs. I have no issues. I can open them with either Mastercam or SW 07.
I had some issues with larger files with 2005, but at the time, I was asking for X_T files instead of the native SW files.

Sure you could. As long as you don't hit the 2GB/ 3GB limit of XP 32 bit. (For instance by using XP 64 bit).

The computer will use your hard drive as a slow substitute for lack of enough RAM in the computer. (And RAM on the graphics card is no limit - it just limits the speed and possible visual effects. It does open though).

The files are compressed when saved so when you open file it usually requires a lot more RAM when open then it's saved size. For instance a 1500 MB will easily require 5 GB of RAM when opened and running.

Spock said, "What are some of you guys doing to get thru this? " Only accept files in IGES or Step format. You are probably going to have to reprogram any CNC code anyway.

Scott

STEP and IGES isn't always a solution. Sometimes it has to do with how the files are "flavored" Not all STEP and IGES ouput is interepreted the same, despite the fact that it's supposed to be. Our company has spent YEARS figuring out what opens what well.

I appreciate all replies.
I dont know the file sizes my buddy is getting, he just calls them "large".

Basically, I think he is looking for a program he can open files in well, then save them in a format that SW can deal with consistently. Once in SW, he can do what he needs with the model (design electrodes, etc). He would rather not learn to model in another system, because SW is so user friendly (mostly). I will pass on the Rhino tip.

I wasn't giving the tip on Rhino for modelling (even though surface modelling is it's main purpose) - Rhino accepts and translates a very large number of formats, and would likely be usable for transferring some of those troublesome files over to Solidworks.

Right. And what's better, you can get a free trial of Rhino. I would not (and certainly haven't) pass on the Rhino tip. It's a good bit of advice if you want a quick answer.

For the record - if a CAD system doesn't like the "flavor" of a certain file, it doesn't matter how big it is - it's just going to be whatever it is when you import it. Some files won't open, others will spin for days on end. All of the mid-range CAD systems are the very worst at this. (Inventor, SoliWorks, KeyCreator, SolidEdge) I deal with this every single day.

The good news, however - if they like the "flavor" of the file, they open at warp speed. You win some, you lose some...

Yea, but it is the losers that you spend 2 days messing with that change your hair color. And that push my buddy to call me about once a month to ask me if I have found a solution.
I do all of my modeling from hardcopy or reverse engineer a part myself, so I havent had to deal with opening up someone elses cad data in a couple years. I guess that not much has changed. What a shame.

Back