What's new
What's new

Optional stops in Fusion360

Cole2534

Diamond
I use F360 to program my plasma table. It works very well except that my table has no probing function and a semi-crappy THC. I'd like to program an M1 before every M3 so that I may verify Z height before the pierce. I know this sounds like hobbyist bullshit, but the table basically prints money as is so I'm gonna milk it.

I realize I can make each cut a new op and then add a stop in between, but I was wondering if there was a better way.

Thanks, Cole

hypertherm command thc is semi crappy thc, one that can not touch off is full crappy- just fly blind and fast at that point.

There's a bunch of information and videos on fusion 360 post editing if you google it. Your need is actually a good place to start. Basically, everywhere the post inserts an M03, add the code to insert a M01.

hypertherm command thc is semi crappy thc, one that can not touch off is full crappy- just fly blind and fast at that point.

In all reality, it's probably just my ignorance on how to program the G31 in Mach 3. F360 outputs the code but I haven't figured out how to really set that up. I thought I could use the 'arc on' circuit of the THC as a probe signal, but I don't think I am doing it right.

have a macro move z (torch) down until it touches plate. this is a 12 volt(5 would work) supplied to torch shield, use extra limit switch port/receive signal. once circuit is closed have macro move torch up +200% of cut height turn off signal power. use a relay to sever signal power and controller. then arc on, dwell (pierce), then lower torch to cut height or have thc take control.
every thc has some voodoo that does something like this. Hypertherm uses encoder on stepper to since missed steps as contact height. You could use a spindle sync encoder pin out to mimic same in mach I think. but mach, maybe it is not your height controllers fault.
valk/hornet/controlled/komitsu all use servo torque feed back.

There's a bunch of information and videos on fusion 360 post editing if you google it. Your need is actually a good place to start. Basically, everywhere the post inserts an M03, add the code to insert a M01.
+1 Fusion 360 posts are easy to edit. It's written in JavaScript which is a pretty easy language to learn.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I use F360 to program my plasma table. It works very well except that my table has no probing function and a semi-crappy THC. I'd like to program an M1 before every M3 so that I may verify Z height before the pierce. I know this sounds like hobbyist bullshit, but the table basically prints money as is so I'm gonna milk it.

I realize I can make each cut a new op and then add a stop in between, but I was wondering if there was a better way.

Thanks, Cole

Personally I would add torch probing rather than creating a work around to a problem. I built a probing setup long before I built a THC as its a simple setup. Mount your torch on a linear rail that is spring loaded with a limit switch. Wire it up and enter your offsets and you are done. You can also go the ohmic route but tuning is a little more difficult and in my experience speed is a little slower. I probe at 50 ipm (I could probably go faster but I only run a 1" safe z so 50 ipm gets there pretty quickly). Once your piece is complete your THC should take over

You can also just add "Manual NC" operations into your setup right in the Manufacture environment in F360. Optional Stop is already in the default list. You can find it in the "Setup" dropdown.

Back