What's new
What's new

OT- tring to install a font in Corel Draw.

Diamond
I am working on some graphics in Corel 9 and need a font that is not on corel's list. I have the True Type font and have used it in Corel in the past. The installation was only a matter of pushing a couple of buttons, but I can't remember which ones. I have looked at all the help subjects and tried to locate the font file in the program with no luck.

Bill

I am working on some graphics in Corel 9 and need a font that is not on corel's list. I have the True Type font and have used it in Corel in the past. The installation was only a matter of pushing a couple of buttons, but I can't remember which ones.
Which version of Windows ? In the past you'd just drag and drop the font file into the font directory, in XP and win2k there was even an "add fonts" tool in the control panel.

A quick search for "add fonts windows 10" got a lot of hits tho. Generally you add them to the operating system, not just the individual program. That way, if you look at a pdf of your artwork, it will have the correct font. Otherwise the pdf reader will substitute a different font (unless you embed it in the pdf, which takes up a bunch more space.)

I am working on some graphics in Corel 9 and need a font that is not on corel's list. I have the True Type font and have used it in Corel in the past. The installation was only a matter of pushing a couple of buttons, but I can't remember which ones. I have looked at all the help subjects and tried to locate the font file in the program with no luck.

Bill

If its Windows I know nada, but even so. Most OS'en, fonts, icons, etc are in bespoke, application-sharable directories. "Folders" WinWoes may call those.

- Find the fonts you know are listed as available already.

- Pace a copy of a new font into the same place

It should then just "be there" (more than one type of Chinese, UTF-8, my usage) on the drop-down AND RMB-click menus when next you ask the / a(ny) application to mess with font selection in any way.

CAVEAT: There may be a "registration" process over "Truetype' licensing issues? Above my current pay-grade. I no longer use anything that needs a license of that sort.

If its Windows I know nada, but even so. Most OS'en, fonts, icons, etc are in bespoke, application-sharable directories.

Adobe liked to put them in application-specific subdirectories. As I remember, Corel did that also but the last Corel product that ran in unix was version 3.5, so it's been a while :)

But either way, installing the font in the system instead of just for the application was a lot better. Then other programs can use the same font and you can cut and paste between them without having the typeface (the correct word for it) be different.

As an aside, I eventually shitcanned everything except Type1 fonts, because they really do print better. If you don't print anything that doesn't matter but if you are doing brochures or something, Type1 is the way to go if possible. Not sure if you can do that in Windows .... but you could choose to use Type1 for any print work you have.

Truetype is fine in Windows, Micky was co-developer of the format. Mick and Apple didn't like paying Adobe for vector fonts so they stole the ip :) and came out with their own version of the same thing.

Back