What's new
What's new

Paging Wheelieking - FeatureCAM toolcrib

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Wheelie ( or anyone else who might know )

In the past you were bitchin' about something that the newer releases of FC does ( or does not ) do to the toolcrib.
Well, up until 3 months ago, I was on V2015 and had no issues.
Now that I am finally on 2020, all of a sudden have a weird problem.

I have my toolcrib, and it is properly populated with what I want, have, need. ( Seymour-toolcrib)
In the program settings, it is properly defaulted that new programs use the Seymour-toolcrib
In the program settings, It is also set that the toolcrib is saved with the program. ( the FM file )

This has worked flawlessly for the last 14 years.
New part is opened, toolcrib is populated from Seymour-toolcrib, given the name of the FM file and is saved in its entirety in the FM file.
Not only the tools used for the program, but the whole thing as-imported from Seymour-toolcrib.

Now however, Some Freakin' Time the only tools that are saved in the FM file are the ones used for the part!!!
Not all the time, but perhaps 1 or 2 out of 10!!!
It is getting to be PITA to have to re-select the default toolcrib every time the file is opened and new toolpaths are created.

Is this what you've had issues with, and if yes, did you ever figure out a solution?

Thank You

Is there a reason that you use the tool crib that way? I was going to post that I hadn't had that problem, until I reread your post carefully and realised what you're doing. My setting is to use the tool crib, not the tools saved with the file.

One thing I have experienced in 2020 that's sort of like your problem is that it has randomly reset the post settings.

No, I have never had that exact issue. But, like you were, I am still running 2015.
I do have random weird things happen from time to time.
Like tools missing. Or different tools being used than what I am 100% positive I programmed parts with.
Example (just the other day), a 4fl bull-nose cutting a square bottom pocket in an aluminum part. I have never ever used a 4fl tool in aluminum.
And, I have ran those parts at least a dozen times. I know what tool I used every single time (3/8" 3fl S-carb). Yet there it was, a 4fl .060 bull-nose was selected.
And, its not like the S-carb got deleted. It is my swiss army knife. There is one in tool# 19 in every mill.
Although, I do hate the fact that FC creates a new crib with every part document! Sooooooo dumb!

My big issues with the crib revolve around how it handles (or doesn't handle) custom tools that are defined by a curve.
It (FC) usually stores them for you in the "side mill" group. Which is not always accessible.

Last edited:
Wheelie ( or anyone else who might know )

In the past you were bitchin' about something that the newer releases of FC does ( or does not ) do to the toolcrib.
Well, up until 3 months ago, I was on V2015 and had no issues.
Now that I am finally on 2020, all of a sudden have a weird problem.

I have my toolcrib, and it is properly populated with what I want, have, need. ( Seymour-toolcrib)
In the program settings, it is properly defaulted that new programs use the Seymour-toolcrib
In the program settings, It is also set that the toolcrib is saved with the program. ( the FM file )

This has worked flawlessly for the last 14 years.
New part is opened, toolcrib is populated from Seymour-toolcrib, given the name of the FM file and is saved in its entirety in the FM file.
Not only the tools used for the program, but the whole thing as-imported from Seymour-toolcrib.

Now however, Some Freakin' Time the only tools that are saved in the FM file are the ones used for the part!!!
Not all the time, but perhaps 1 or 2 out of 10!!!
It is getting to be PITA to have to re-select the default toolcrib every time the file is opened and new toolpaths are created.

Is this what you've had issues with, and if yes, did you ever figure out a solution?

Thank You

Ahhh...... the bliss of Autodesk.
Everyone needs a seat to learn forbearance. :D

Back