What's new
What's new

PC-DMIS vs Verisurf

Hebrewhammer8

Cast Iron
We are looking at getting an inspection arm and i am wondering who uses what software and what your likes/dislikes are. Specifically i'm looking for verisurf and pc-dmis users for some feedback. Any and all info would be greatly appreaciated. Hope everyone had a nice long weekend.

I'd have a hard time believing there's a piece of software out there worse than PC-DMIS when it comes to stability and intuitiveness. It's amazingly bad.

Go take some of your parts to a Hexagon tech center and have them walk you through programming and reporting for a whole day.

I'd you don't have to shutdown and restart at least 7 times throughout the day, I'll buy you a cheeseburger! :willy_nilly:

Ah c'mon :smoking: The demond is not that bad. I was a CMM programmer for 4 years mostly working on very complex motor housings. Lots and lots of experience with the demond. It does require you to be smart about what you are doing, like save your work after every 15 min's, have backup's of all your probe files handy, calibrate all probes and their angles along with the lower level matrix every week ... oh wait ... I guess ya'all right :bawling:

I was typing from my iPhone last night, so I just wanted to get across how awful the Demon can be. It does actually have some positives.

Overall, I'm satisfied with it. I think we're on 4.1? Maintenance is $4,000/year, and I don't even know anybody who installs the maint upgrades for fear of the next release introducing more bugs than the current release.

One thing I've learned, is if it does ANYTHING you weren't expecting, no matter how small - shut it down and restart.

If I were buying a system that had Verisurf as an option, I'd go that route. If for no other reason, because you can call Ron Branch and have him help you with stuff.

verisurf

Verisurf is a great software specially if you mostly work with model based definition parts. It has endless capabilities.

the thing that would be nice about PC-DMIS is the ability to inspect without a solid model.

we do alot of parts where we don't have models for them and it would suck to have to draw them all up.

can verisurf build an inspection report without Model based definitions?

Yes, verisurf does have the capability to inspect a part to blue print. You can measure features on your part and create your part coordinate system. After that you can just start measuring all your dimensions. What i like the most is that you can create relationships to many features such as concentricity, angularity, parallelism, perpendicularity, easily.

BEWARE OF THE DEMON......BEWARE!;)

Actually, I've used PCDMIS a bunch, and kind of like it (hopefully Joe's not reading this)...but it is painfully frustrating and very unstable (not sure what that says about me)...and I can't compare it with any other CMM software.

So, as others have said, spend some time having the software companies walk you through YOUR parts giving you EXACTLY the printouts and dimensions that you need.

PCDMIS will most likely be able to give you what you need...you just may want to smash stuff every now and then.:wall:

Our machining manager came home from the show in Chicago with a cheap CMM and PC-DMIS. I used it a few times and found it horrible compared to MCOSMOS.

One day it crashed on me so I asked the manager what the procedure was to get it back up. The arrogant prick said if I didn't know what I was doing I should leave it alone. He was still hurling insults when the thing crashed on him as well. I walked away with that smile one gets from watching someone trying to swallow his own shoe.

I refused to touch it after that. For the last six months the machine has been collecting dust. Nobody will go near it. The reason is obvious now after reading the above posts.

Doug

We have PC-DMIS on one of our CMM's and CMM Manager on another. CMM Manager seems to be more user friendly and they'll give you a 30-day trial license to play with - we're considering changing over to CMM Manager for our measurement arms too. In the future, we'll probably even add CMM Manager to the other CMM as well.

10 years have gone by since the last post and we’re deciding now between a CMM running Verisurf and one running PC-DMIS. How does Verisurf compare today to PC-DMIS? Also, any experience with support between complete systems from Verisurf vs Hexagon. Thx!

no experience with PC-DMIS but decent amount with verisurf. it works really well for inspection as well as reverse engineering. stable and mostly bug free.
another alternative to consider is polyworks. geomagic is mostly for reverse engineering, not inspection.

we use DezignWorks for our Romer Arm with scanner, mainly for reverse engineering parts into SolidWorks.

haha wow time does fly!

After using PC-DMIS and Verisurf extensively over the years I would say go Verisurf x10000000000000000000

PC-DMIS can suck it. Verisurf is sooo much faster and easier to use. Currently using it with a romer arm and a Wenzel CMM w/Revo 2 Scanning Head. The Revo stuff combined with Verisurf is a pretty amazing software/hardware stack.

Thanks for replies. After a bit more googling it sounds like both products are robust to do what you need to do but Verisurf still has better customer service and the software is easier to use. We're going to go with Verisurf based on better service and ease of use along with a bonus that their system is about 20% less expensive than the Hexagon system we were contemplating.

Back