What's new
What's new

PDF FILE

Once a PDF it will most likely always be a PDF, you have to have PDF editor and I don't know any CAD that has a PDF editor built into it.

You can however save files to PDF's in AutoCad and Solidworks.

I am going to take the autocad comment back. I just check it out, and you have to actually print a pdf. By that I mean if you go to plot you can select the device as a PDF and it creates a PDF file of the drawing.

to print a pdf from any cad system download a copy of open office (it free) http://www.openoffice.org/
copy your drawing (In Bobcad you just select all-edit-copy)minamize your cad screen(don't close).open Draw from open office, go to file-new right click on drawing and paste. You need to set you line size in what ever software you are using before coping.To save the pdf go to file expoort pdf

Download a program called pdftypewriter.
It will allow you to create a pdffile from any application that has a print function. Instead of
printing to your printer you would select the pdf option from the print menu. You can find the program at download.com

We had a customer send PDF files for quotes on some wire work. The salesman brought “the CAD files” to me and said he needed some times.

When I saw what they were I gave them back and told him these aren’t CAD files they are cartoons. :D

Once a PDF it will most likely always be a PDF, you have to have PDF editor and I don't know any CAD that has a PDF editor built into it.

and

When I saw what they were I gave them back and told him these aren’t CAD files they are cartoons.
Well, not quite... PDF's can contain vector information like an illustrator type program. Some programs (Rhino, for example) can open those PDF's and get the vector information, which you can then use for CAM.

In order for this to happen, the PDF file has to have been created as vector. If it was created as raster, of course, all vector (curve) data is lost. There is also a hybrid PDF that contains both vector and raster data.

I have machined 2D parts from vector PDF files from time to time(passing through Rhino as a translator), it usually works fine.

Just wait a little while, pretty soon you're going to start getting 3D PDF's... :D --ch

The current version of Alibre incorporates PDFCreator so you can save a model to PDF. With the current version of Acrobat Reader the PDF model can be clicked on and rotated, change shading, etc.

Here's a Motobi cylinder head I've been working on. No ports or combustion chamber, but getting there. Play around with the lighting and other options in the toolbar that comes up with it.

The PDF files can get big for a complicated model.

cheers,
Michael

www.pdf995.com works great.

You select it like a printer but it creates a .pdf

install 1 of many PDF printers to print from anything to PDF

Adobe acrobat from makes the smallest best PDF's i find

Back