What's new
What's new

Pipe thread taper wrong direction HSM works

Tatertots

Plastic
I am using Solidworks / HSMworks and trying to make a double male adapter that is hex in the center. The end toward tailstock is JIC male #3, and the end toward the chuck is 1/4 NPT male. In simulation I have faced the end, bored the center, and turned the JIC male end without issue in cam. I then cut the hex center with live axial tool, and roughed out the NPT male portion closer to the chuck. Then things go off the tracks... using a thread turning operation the cam insists on cutting the taper on the male pipe thread the wrong direction even though the face selected on the drawing is correct. I have tried drawing a tapered spiral cut of the threads and following that with no more success. I even tried making the part with the taper the wrong way to see if it would do that backwards and end up with the correct thread... still no joy.

I can turn the part around and cut the NPT male correctly on the tailstock end, but that will not allow the JIC end toward the chuck to be finished properly in a single process. What is the fun in that?

I have just taken delivery of a new to me Haas SL-20 lathe. My CAM work to date has been CNC mill, so the turning CAM is new to me. This is a part I actually need, so I thought I would try it in CAM as an excercise...

Any suggestions would be welcome

Attachments

• 20191221_173719[1].jpg
    20191221_173719[1].jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 94
In researching the lathe manual I have found the necessary gcode to create tapered threads. It is an "I" command following the G76... not completely sure of the proper syntax, but at least there is a way to get the machine to do what I want even if the CAM software won't do it for me... its just manual entry and for me more likely to produce errors. Still hoping someone has a CAM solution.

Check to make sure you have the "spun profile" box checked in the setup? I've seen that do some oddball stuff.

Back