Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Now this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
    I didn't invent this concept - guys I know who make WAY more money than you or I at this hustle stumbled upon this combination and found it works absurdly well. It is no different than an ID guy iterating fast and loose in a sketch book with a BIC pen before sitting down at a seat of CATIA to make the actual design.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You did not mention what type of machining you need it to do and there are different mill levels to choose from. Don't let the dealer sell you a higher mill level than what you need.

3. Likes Qwan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post

Now this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
    I LoL'd at that too.
    Why write a check for 30$k and keep using Fusion...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I LoL'd at that too.
    Why write a check for 30$k and keep using Fusion...
    You idiots can laugh all you want.

To me, it makes perfect sense to keep Fusion around as a quick and dirty tool for just making a part. NX is absurdly powerful, but it comes at the price of being an obtuse, cumbersome piece of software that is a lot of things, but "fast" isn't on the list.

Sometimes you need to take the big ass Land Cruiser, but sometimes you just wanna drive the old Miata.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post

To me, it makes perfect sense to keep Fusion around as a quick and dirty tool for just making a part. NX is absurdly powerful, but it comes at the price of being an obtuse, cumbersome piece of software that is a lot of things, but "fast" isn't on the list.

Sometimes you need to take the big ass Land Cruiser, but sometimes you just wanna drive the old Miata.
    I get this... I fire up Esprit when I want a fancy program... I fire up PartMaker when I just want to program a feature, quickly, and throw it in some existing code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the abuse without even knowing me!

Anyway, IMO it depends upon if you're a one man band where get it done is king, or if you're bigger, with staff and procedures etc.
    If you're bigger, then a structured approach is more important so legacy files can be opened for revision etc.
    By having both, you've certainly gone from one extreme to another.
    However, don't misunderstand me because I understand the need for example Partmaker or Esprit to program lathes/Millturns, and say Mastercam or Delcam for the mills.
    Horses for coarses etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...NX is absurdly powerful, but it comes at the price of being an obtuse, cumbersome piece of software that is a lot of things, but "fast" isn't on the list...
    That is a mostly inaccurate statement about all cad/cam/cae software. For one you are using "absurdly powerful" and "obtuse" in the same sentence which confuses people lol. I completely agree about NX being powerful but the rest of your statement is not realistic. Some people have that opinion about high end software because they are not familiar with properly customizing and streamlining their workflow according to the capability of the software. This goes for all software, not just NX, but therein lay some of the real power of a good cad/cam/cae system. The ability to customize common tasks by accessing the api, C programs and Visual Basic unleashes a lot of power, as well as journals and macros for mundane tasks. Other things such as localized calculation and containment by simple face selection are huge time savers and users should not have to create all sorts of geometry for path containment; very little if any.

I recommend buying software that covers your current needs but can also grow with your company but not over-buy for your needs. Buyers really should take a hard look at what they want to do immediately and also ask what software can do that they aren't aware of. Do you need a cad modeler? If yes then is a basic modeler good enough or will you need a full fledged modeler? If yes then there's another cost up front plus maintenance. I see hear so many stories where they don't buy capable enough software up front then piece meal a system together which, in the end, really isn't all that powerful and is a totally fragmented platform.

At our site we do all our design in NX and programming is split between NX and Mc. Our NX group can program all aspects of our production whereas Mc is limited to steel mainly because their workflow is slower than NX and there isn't any peripheral work in steel programming such as design and drafting. It's no secret Mc has extremely limited modeling and almost zero drafting. Also it's relatively easy to find users with Mc experience which also tends to keep wages below nose-bleed levels. That being said I think Mc is a great fit for a lot of shops.

A Mc mill level 2 seat for the OP would probably suit him well and he can always go higher to level 3, 5x and turning if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    I get this... I fire up Esprit when I want a fancy program... I fire up PartMaker when I just want to program a feature, quickly, and throw it in some existing code.
    True, otherwise, why would folks have Notepad, Word, and various Adobe products on the same PC?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Or you can use a program which does it all, efficiently, with ease then then do not install anything else.

NX 1847
    NX 12.0.2
    EAP's

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
    Or you can use a program which does it all, efficiently, with ease then then do not install anything else.

NX 1847
    NX 12.0.2
    EAP's
    I could.. But I haven't done any training with NX. I'm pretty proficient with both Partmaker and Esprit. I leave the NX to the guys that know how to use it. Maybe in a future life I'll have the free time to pick it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of years ago a friend of mine bought Mastercam for his shop after a couple of years of me prodding him to. He told me it cost him $18K for one seat but i'm pretty sure that he uses it for mills and lathes and most likely has the latest bells and whistles. His cnc mill guy had been after him to buy it too. The mill guy told me that on one stainless job it used to take them three days to run the parts and three $150 carbide end mills. Now it takes them two days to run the parts and the original end mill is still cutting just fine. He also said that you can hear a big difference in the stress on the machine when it comes into corners and things that normally stress the machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Recognized Copper Slag Manufacturer in India

Depending on the options a user chooses, Mastercam can cost anywhere between $4,000 and $40,000 .