What's new
What's new

Programming Worm Gear on Fusion 360

jephw

Aluminum
Good day people.
On the attached part, I am trying to create a toolpath with Fusion 360 and I can't seem to make it work. I want to machine this on a Mori Sieki NL3000y with the C-axis and a live tool. Has anyone attempted a similar project in Fusion?

Attachments

• 20200804_203107.jpg
    20200804_203107.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 93
I did one just messing around when I had the demo of the Manufacturer Extension live. I however used a VMC with a 4th axis. I assume it would work similarly with a live tool lathe.

I used I think the Rotary toolpath and wrapped a helice around a cylinder. You can set the lead and also tweak the shape of the wrapped form you are using. Seemed to work but it was a while ago.

Can't do it now as I don't have the demo live anymore, I just wanted to see if I could. You would obviously want to use a form tool and actually model it with the curves so you would get the correct form. But did seem doable.

20200601_165819.jpg

When you say form tool, what are you referring to? You're talking like an endmill shaped the same way I want the profile?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

When you say form tool, what are you referring to? You're talking like an endmill shaped the same way I want the profile?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Yes or for a bit more control of the shape hog out the center with a standard endmill then come back and do the sides with a taper endmill with correct angle. You could really dial in the size better I would think.

Do you want to use the c axis? Otherwise this is a pretty simple 2 axis lathe part (ignoring the thru holes at the end). Fusion can be a little confusing when simulating threads, the remaining stock doesn't show the thread form.
Hahn Rossman

Just program it like any other thread. You may have to grind a tool to the correct form if you can't locate an insert. No different than an acme thread although the pressure angle may be different. I've made special tool blocks that fit into my turret slots with different lead angles to tip the tool for side clearance. HSS blanks work very well for this purpose, although for a single lead worm its easy enough to grind the side clearance into the tool. Depending on the pressure angle, you can use a canned threading cycle if the infeed angle matches.

Back