What's new
What's new

Question about Mastercam lathe strategy. Not digging the toolpaths.

huleo

Hot Rolled
I had to run a quick job on our 2 axis Fanuc lathe and programmed it with X5. I am wondering if anyone else has had issues with chipping inserts with these paths? It could be in the way I am generating them by selecting the radius and the OD line. Is there a better method? I think this is sort of like how an endmill can overload in a corner. The path comes in axially, then turns and follows the contour towards the OD.

Just curious how you guys do this stuff? Obviously this is pretty basic so hand coding could work but I prefer CAM for everything so we have a good record and can move to another machine if needed.

Attachments

• 20190412_210024.jpg
    20190412_210024.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 208
Used the Mcam toolpaths for decades now, no issues. Look at your DOC and make sure the tool is solid.

CNC Software hasnt made any real changes in forever, so if it's not working look at your settings.

Last edited:
Without more context, tough to figure out your problem...but no, it's not the CAM to blame. A G01 Z-x.xxxx Fx.xxx is the same in any software. Post the code, show the stock, and maybe we could help.

I know almost nothing about the lathe part of MasterCam but still I'm sitting here wondering what in the world would make you think this is because of the toolpath?

I've looked at the picture and it doesn't appear that anything is happening that wouldn't happen in a Fanuc turning canned cycle.

If this is the chatter part from the other day I'd be more inclined to think its something to do with the holder or insert itself again. Or maybe the vibration you mentioned if you're still having it?

Brent

I had to run a quick job on our 2 axis Fanuc lathe and programmed it with X5. I am wondering if anyone else has had issues with chipping inserts with these paths? It could be in the way I am generating them by selecting the radius and the OD line. Is there a better method? I think this is sort of like how an endmill can overload in a corner. The path comes in axially, then turns and follows the contour towards the OD.

Just curious how you guys do this stuff? Obviously this is pretty basic so hand coding could work but I prefer CAM for everything so we have a good record and can move to another machine if needed.

Is the smaller od already machined? If not, yes your tool is probably plunging into material there. I am not sure what you mean "radius and OD". I have always selected the entire contour (chain) I want to cut. For that part you show I would have picked the far right end at the beginning (smallest od) of that end radius, then followed all the way to where the end is on left side.

On a side note, I know some people don't know (see?) the little checbox in the lower right corner for stock. You have some options there you might want to look at.

I'm not sure what your problem is. Since you don't have much turning experience its hard to explain the problem - understandable. Will take a guess like everyone else.

I think your geometry is not good. I'm guessing you are not liking all the moves (or there is a rapid) on that radius. You probably used the lathe profile tool with the spin option set to .001. Use .0001 or use the "slice" option.

to fix that geometry, delete all the line segments by drawing a window over that area and hitting delete key. Now fix the geomety with the wireframe create radius tool. Now rechain and you will gave better geo.

Basic mcam lathe toolpaths have an incredible amount of options, they will not be your source of trouble.

Looking at it again the toolpath looks pretty good. Increase your depth of cut if you want less radius cuts. Its' doing what you are telling it to do, that large radius requires depth cuts.

If you do not want them just use a finish toolpath and use the "finish step over" section.

Back