Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didnít read every post, but I saw several wildly inaccurate posts about fusion. You can use it completely offline, where nothing g can possibly be saved to the cloud, and export all the files in any format you want to a hard drive, usb, whatever....and any file type, STEP, STP, DWG, igs, STL, etc.

Not sure where all the information saying otherwise comes from. Probably people that donít use it.

Plus all the post processors are free, so you donít pay for another post when you need to use a different machine. Itís super easy.

My shop is double metal walled, no WiFi, not even cell service. Iíve been doing it this way since it came out. I have Gibbs, mastercam, solidworks, HSM, and they all have their strong suits, but I probably use fusion most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9finger View Post
    I didnít read every post, but I saw several wildly inaccurate posts about fusion. You can use it completely offline, where nothing g can possibly be saved to the cloud, and export all the files in any format you want to a hard drive, usb, whatever....and any file type, STEP, STP, DWG, igs, STL, etc.

Not sure where all the information saying otherwise comes from. Probably people that donít use it.

Plus all the post processors are free, so you donít pay for another post when you need to use a different machine. Itís super easy.

My shop is double metal walled, no WiFi, not even cell service. Iíve been doing it this way since it came out. I have Gibbs, mastercam, solidworks, HSM, and they all have their strong suits, but I probably use fusion most.
    The information is coming directly from AutoDesk

You can work offline up to a period of two weeks if needed. After this, Fusion 360 will need to sync back online
    So if you have no internet, how did you download Fusion to begin with? How did you post on this forum? How are you able to afford Gibbs, Mastercam, Solidworks, HSM, and Fusion?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    The information is coming directly from AutoDesk

So if you have no internet, how did you download Fusion to begin with? How did you post on this forum? How are you able to afford Gibbs, Mastercam, Solidworks, HSM, and Fusion?
    Easy, I have a laptop, and a house with internet. Download, walk out to the shop. If you want to save somewhere other than the cloud, just go to file>export>click the button with 3 dots, select where you want to save.

Not sure why my finances are relevant, but mainly from years of working 16 hour days, military retirement, owning a shop, but I got several of them under an educational license, otherwise, I wouldn't have near as many. I enjoy trying new things to try to figure out which is best. As a side note, in my humble opinion, there isn't a best yet as far as software goes.

For example, solidworks is $20 for veterans.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My apologies for the poor editing job, hopefully you can see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My shop is 20 miles from my house and has no internet. I have to take my laptop home every week or so to keep fusion360 happy, but as of late, even that has failed me. I click the icon and get a message that fusion is broken and they'll get back to me when it's fixed. Been over a week now. I'm dead in the water. (Yes, I have filled out the form and sent it to them.)

6. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
    My shop is 20 miles from my house and has no internet. I have to take my laptop home every week or so to keep fusion360 happy, but as of late, even that has failed me. I click the icon and get a message that fusion is broken and they'll get back to me when it's fixed. Been over a week now. I'm dead in the water. (Yes, I have filled out the form and sent it to them.)

I PM'ed you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you updated or installed any new programs on your laptop?

sometimes a Windows update or program will mess with other programs.

you may have to uninstall Fusion, clean out the registery files and reinstall it.

what version of Windows are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    Have you updated or installed any new programs on your laptop?

sometimes a Windows update or program will mess with other programs.

you may have to uninstall Fusion, clean out the registery files and reinstall it.

what version of Windows are you using?

I'm using windows7. Autodesk's site has a procedure to clean and re-install which I have done but it does exactly the same thing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GenePoole, go to the Fusion forum to get help for your problem. If you don't get a response within 2 hours, or less if your in a hurry, bump the thread and click "Escalate" when you get that option. I have always been blown away by how competent and helpful the people I have delt with were on their forum. It is the ONLY place to seek help for anything related to Fusion, all other avenues are a joke.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This seems like a general enough thread on Fusion to dump my gripes into. Heck I read this same one when I was looking at getting into it months ago.

I've had great success with simple parts, which is an echo of everyone else who seems to like F360.

There is a giant roadblock I've run into that has me at a stand still: The lack of a design table. Call it what you will, but I'm making a lot of similarly sized parts, some scaled to certain dimensions. It's something solidworks does very well: click and drag the excel-based design table and presto! You've got several versions of the same file with different dimensions. You can create configurations with different numbers of a feature, scale some or all dimensions, suppress particular components, etc. I found it the best for developing casting patterns: Adding thicknesses here and there for shrinkage, scale, and machinable features, even remove features that need to be cut or drilled.

Can't do it in Fusion 360. I tried, made it sort-of-kind-of work, made posts on the forum and got good answers, but it's not worth the effort it takes to finagle it into place. In some ways it's a simple problem with a complex solution, but it's obviously a rabbit hole.

I really enjoyed the integrated CAM, and I wish other platforms would get on the ball and reach that level at their price point. I'll be giving Inventor HSM a try and see where it goes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ever since derived design, or whatever it is called, appeared I have a much better love of Fusion. It makes having only one tool library per model acceptable. I now import a derived design of my part into the fixture model, then that model is imported as a derived design for fixture cam and another for part production cam. The downside is when I change the part I have to make sure ALL of the derived models are updated. Being able to modify the imported design is very welcome too, sure wish we could push those changes back to the "home" part though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm using windows7. Autodesk's site has a procedure to clean and re-install which I have done but it does exactly the same thing.
    Have you had any new Windows 7 updates since this started?

have updated your graphics drives?

have you installed any new software?

on other thing to look at is Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7 and Autodesk sent out an email that they will not be supporting new version for it either, might be time to get Windows 10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    Have you had any new Windows 7 updates since this started?

have updated your graphics drives?

have you installed any new software?

on other thing to look at is Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7 and Autodesk sent out an email that they will not be supporting new version for it either, might be time to get Windows 10.
    It's a plain-jane install of Win7 Pro and nothing extra except the Chrome browser. It is as up-to-date as microsoft sees fit.

I popped in a spare harddrive and did a clean win7 install, all the updates, and then installed Fusion 360 and it seems to work. I'd call it a win except M$ is bugging me to licence it now and it won't take the key I used originally.

I'll try and do a "repair" on the old install (strip it back to as original as possible) and hopefully keep the license. If that don't work, I guess I'll "downgrade" to win10, but I sure hate dumping money into M$'s coffers to "fix" Autodesk's fuckup.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a plain-jane install of Win7 Pro and nothing extra except the Chrome browser. It is as up-to-date as microsoft sees fit.

I popped in a spare harddrive and did a clean win7 install, all the updates, and then installed Fusion 360 and it seems to work. I'd call it a win except M$ is bugging me to licence it now and it won't take the key I used originally.

I'll try and do a "repair" on the old install (strip it back to as original as possible) and hopefully keep the license. If that don't work, I guess I'll "downgrade" to win10, but I sure hate dumping money into M$'s coffers to "fix" Autodesk's fuckup.
    Yeah I had to install a new drive on a PC and had the same issue, had to call support and they fixed it, didn't take that long after I got through to them. There is also a way to do it online and they send you a code. Your choice, have done both.

as for Windows 10, I was skeptical at first, but since I've been using it for over a year I really like it better than 7, has been way more stable and a hell of a lot easier connecting to other PC'S I have via network and Remote Desktop.

I run A sorts of CAD and CAM programs on my PC, lucky I work at the university and get most for FREE99 or a minimal cost to use.