What's new
What's new

Recommend CAM that Supports Probing

Archer120x

Cast Iron
Not sure where to start in this search. Does anyone have experience with CAM software that supports probing well? I am running 4 axis parts. I need to incorporate both part and tool probes. Part probing will be for basic work offset shifts. Tool probing will be for thorough breakage and chipped insert detection after each tool runs. This is high mix repeating jobs that use a few common tools with a couple extras occasionally added in. I really want to avoid editing programs after they are run through the post.
Thanks,
Tony

I've only got experience with fusion, and it does a nice job for me with the probing routines.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mastercam supports probing, but can't say how well. It used to be an addon you had to purchase, but I am not up to date with the newest versions so don't know if that is still true. What machines?

Haas has tool break detection in WIPS, you can also use a custom M code (we do M45) to call a 9000 series program (which would be the tool break check routine in this example). What I do when needed is use "manual entry" toolpath in MCX and just write in M45 and then when posting it will output it every time.

You could also use the manual entry and 'longhand' a probe routine, or tool check, etc and it will output as code.....

Mastercam supports probing, but can't say how well. It used to be an addon you had to purchase, but I am not up to date with the newest versions so don't know if that is still true.
Yes you need to buy the Productivity Plus add-on to get the Renishaw stuff.
I don't have that add-on though.

Having written a number of my own probing routines using standard renishaw/haas calls, I'm going to suggest an alternate route is to write your own, and use some type of gcode passthrough to call your probe routine.

The advantage of this is that you can verify on your own that the probe routine does what you think it is. It also allows customization, for example one of my routines checks all four corners of a block and sets the Z based on the lowest measurement.

hyperMILL has some probing support. It is okay. I'm not really a fan of MasterCAM, but I used their productivity plus package several years ago, and it was surprisingly good. All of the cradle-to-grave programs like TopSolid, NX, and CATIA should also have pretty robust probing.

In regards to what you are attempting: we do automatic stock probing and broken tool detection on all of our programs. I built it into the post processor. If we had to manually program that stuff in CAM, it probably wouldn't happen most of the time.

hyperMILL has some probing support. It is okay. I'm not really a fan of MasterCAM, but I used their productivity plus package several years ago, and it was surprisingly good. All of the cradle-to-grave programs like TopSolid, NX, and CATIA should also have pretty robust probing.

In regards to what you are attempting: we do automatic stock probing and broken tool detection on all of our programs. I built it into the post processor. If we had to manually program that stuff in CAM, it probably wouldn't happen most of the time.

I didn't think about building it into the post. Thanks

Care to elaborate? How does that work? Is it just one single routine, or....? I'm confused on how you would make edits for rough stock size, or does the post output a macro call with user defined varaibles? Seems like that would be asking for trouble, but maybe I am cornfused. :willy_nilly:

I wrote some fairly substantial macros for stock probing and tool breakage. The post is set to call up those macros and populate them with all of the fields required.

Stock probing uses the stock location and dimensions as defined by the CAM program, and just probes the top and sides to check that they are within a definable tolerance. There are quite a few variables required, and the post is setup to define them at the top of the program.

Tool breakage is a lot easier. It just calls the macro for broken tool check before each tool change. The broken tool macro uses the tool data on the controller to determine if tool breakage is required (I like to skip it for tools over .500in diamter), and what cycle to use. We are using variables on the tool data page for the controller to handle all the extra data required for each tool.

For Mastercam I have written probing macros to be used with custom drilling cycles. It doesn't simulate the movements properly, but otherwise it works. To check tool condition, a misc value is used. No additional cost involved.

EDIT: removed mention of productivity plus as it was already stated.

I have Productivity+ for Mastercam. It works fine. You can set it up so that when you post your code it can probe features, automatically adjust offsets, and optionally recut said features if you want. Logic and flow control.

Fusion has probing and it is very simple to use. I had never set up a probe cycle other than canned cycles on a haas before and was able to figure it out in Fusion in about 5 minutes. Any job shop doing strictly 2-3 & even 4 Axis Machining i believe would benefit from fusion. Incredibly simple to use. If your running a million parts and need to optimize every single aspect of the process, its probably not for you, but if your doing small runs and need a program fast that works to get a job out the door its great. I hear complaints about oh well its all on the cloud so if you cancel subscription you loose everything.....This is not the case you can export everything you do in fusion and save it to your computer.However 5 Axis is a whole other animal.

The more I play around with the NEW PTC Creo 7.0 I'm really starting to like it. The probing cycles are sweet and not only does it generate the cycles it generates the CMM program at the same time, Basically eliminating the need for a whole new inspection program. I got the 30 day trial but it has so many features I had to backdate my CMOS to keep tinkering with it. Definitely worth a look....

Back