What's new
What's new

Remove spaces from featurecam post

onyx_je

Plastic
I am looking to remove to spaces the post codes out. We have 2 new machines in the shop and when we retrieve the programs from the control it compresses the commands and there's no spaces between each coordinate or command. So I would like to have the post match cause I compare programs when they are done being ran. With one program having spaces and the retrieved not, I can't compare via software and have to go line by line character by character. Any idea on how to achieve this? Software is featurecam 2022. Thank you in advance

I am looking to remove to spaces the post codes out. We have 2 new machines in the shop and when we retrieve the programs from the control it compresses the commands and there's no spaces between each coordinate or command. So I would like to have the post match cause I compare programs when they are done being ran. With one program having spaces and the retrieved not, I can't compare via software and have to go line by line character by character. Any idea on how to achieve this? Software is featurecam 2022. Thank you in advance

I can't help with your post, but what program/text editor do you use?

We've got old seats of predator cnc editor, and there's a menu option to "remove spaces" which will do what you do. In ours, it doesn't remove spaces from comments, only code.

I would imagine most text editors that you might use for CNC code would have a similar option.

The text editors I have at my disposal to use will either remove spaces from the whole program or I can choose to delete each space. If I go the remove all route, even the comments become compressed. We use a few different post considering we have a few different machine manufacturers so making this post code out w/out spaces would be really useful and not cumbersome at all. We had a guy working for us who handled this stuff but he is no longer with us so it's falling into my hands to "finish" his work.

Which posts (machine/control) are you using? Most of them are fairly similar but it will be a lot easier to dive into it if we know which one to start with.

You probably CAN remove all spaces from the post, but it will likely be a frustrating experience by the time you catch each and every instance..

So, I would suggest you take a look at NcPlot instead.
It has the ability to either add spaces or remove them from the code.
I for one would choose the adding of spaces to the retrieved code, as that is sure as F@ck a bitch to read.

NCPlot.com - Tools for CNC Programmers

Search Google for "featurecam xbuild reference manual" should give you all the information you need to adjust your code so it posts correctly.

Pretty sure it is as simple as removing the spaces from the formats. That will be anything but simple.
I suggest doing one format at a time, then testing. This way you don't get too far ahead of a mistake if you accidentally make one.
Not like I've ever screwed up in X-build and then had to chase my tail for hours or anything, LOL

Also, copy your post with a different name (like "test", or "no spaces") and edit/save that one! Leave your original alone!

But, I wouldn't do it. Reading code without spaces sucks.
Why do you punch the programs back? Lots of manual edits?
It isn't my place to tell anybody how to run a shop. But, I prefer to make the edits in CAM, and post new every time.
This also gives you a much easier to use reference when you cant remember what the magic SFM for that insert or end-mill was.
Edit the tool properties. Bam it is always there.

This is how I do it 90% of the time.
Now, I do have a few programs that were done in a multi fixture doc, for jobs with 10-20 parts on the table, that took hours to order for efficiency.
Those ones stay in the control with a back-up on a thumb drive. But that is my only exception.

I don't know? Maybe its just me.
But ever since I understood how CNC machine programs were actually produced in CAM, I have never understood saving NC files.

We really lack that drive to get things done around here properly so I am stuck having to work around this as I was strictly told not to touch the post, which is weird as I was apart of the editing process to make it what it is now. That being said, thank you for all the help. For now, I code out as normal, make my edits as the software codes out redundancies, then delete the spaces with my text editor. We save back because it's a production facility and we manufacture our own parts, so to verify processes and whatnot we have the operators save back as a way to verify the program/part.

Back