What's new
What's new

RS-232 configuration

FredIII

Plastic
I've connected my PC to two Hardinge lathes for PC->USB->RS232->Lathe data transfer. I can up load, down load program files, wear offset, and parameters. Works great, but now I want to hook up to a couple Okuma Lathes. Currently, we're using 3-1/2" floppies. The Okumas do have RS-232 ports, but nobody knows the pin config. or the control panel moves. When we upgrade PCs I like to move up to PC->USB->Okuma.

for the RS232 pin connection google serial port pin configuration, some one out there has it, I had a note book about this stuff that was handed down to me over the years, like a dope I threw away after I retired.
I purchase serial port connectors that had to be wired, crimped and assembled.
far as the equipment (lathes and mills) is has to be in the user manual for each mfg. all are different.
but it was easy, we had mori seiki I set those up.
hand shake protocol was at the slowest speed, or the machines could not read it to fast. same hand shake.

I would contact Okuma, we have always had good luck calling to get info.
Cant use a thumb drive for the Okumas yet? your pc wont load a usb thumb drive?

pins 2 and 3 'usually' get swapped as they are tx and rx, so obviously on machines tx[transmit] is the other machines rx[receive]

there also ascii settings if you are not using factory software. 7 or 8 bits, stop bits, even parity, flow control

many machines just need 1 2 3 and 7 [25 pin ]but some need the whole setup

pins 2 and 3 'usually' get swapped as they are tx and rx, so obviously on machines tx[transmit] is the other machines rx[receive]

there also ascii settings if you are not using factory software. 7 or 8 bits, stop bits, even parity, flow control

many machines just need 1 2 3 and 7 [25 pin ]but some need the whole setup

thanks for that post that is gold, every one should write this down

If you are connecting to an older machine you have to change the PC port setting for the transmit buffer. Older machines do not have the large input buffer of new PCs and will overrun the buffer even with handshaking. Go into the PC port setting and move the buffer size down to 1.

Back