Sandvik buys Vericut - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    This can't be the only software acquisition for Sandvik here. There must be something else coming, specifically in CAM.
    Maybe they're banking on the new swissmak ez button software coming out soon and wanna scoop that up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would be really interesting for ME if Sandvik scooped up CNC Software since i use both Vericut and Mastercam. The unholy alliance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    There must be something else coming, specifically in CAM.
    My guess is that Sandvik believes the next big push in CNC machining is going to be driven by software.

Some of their more recent products are "prime turning" (high feed turning, backwards from the chuck, then finishing towards the chuck) and Y-axis parting. CAM support for these is probably minimal at the moment. You may be able to fudge the software to do it, but perhaps not optimally.
    Last edited by Orange Vise; 10-27-2020 at 10:14 PM.

4. Likes Insert, Cycle1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Vise View Post
    My guess is that Sandvik believes the next big push in CNC machining is going to be driven by software.

Some of their more recent products are "prime turning" (high feed turning, backwards from the chuck, then finishing towards the chuck) and Y-axis parting. CAM support for these is probably minimal at the moment. You may be able to fudge the software to do it, but perhaps not optimally.
    I agree, tooling has made a big push in recent years, and is outpacing CAM, roadblock for tooling will become CAM.
    Just a few weeks ago I was trying to do a cutting path recommended by Sandvik, but my CAM didn't have anything close, had to manually accommodate it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    I agree, tooling has made a big push in recent years, and is outpacing CAM, roadblock for tooling will become CAM.
    Just a few weeks ago I was trying to do a cutting path recommended by Sandvik, but my CAM didn't have anything close, had to manually accommodate it.
    What is it the CAM couldn't do?