What's new
What's new

Sandvik buys Vericut

I think it could be good if done right.
Two different knowledge bases here that if merged well?
For sure the best cutting tool info is from one source and the CAM side from the other is also no slouch.
This marriage has been so missing in the Cad/Cam and tooling world.
Bob

I can't imagine Sandvik going this route without a plan, and I'd think it does include a proper "mid-high" end CAM platform. So who's it going to be? Home brew, or bought?

For them to shoot for a low price point leading to a broad customer base, coupled with really integrated tool data and collision and cut modeling? Potential game-changer...

I think it could be good if done right.
Two different knowledge bases here that if merged well?
For sure the best cutting tool info is from one source and the CAM side from the other is also no slouch.
This marriage has been so missing in the Cad/Cam and tooling world.
Bob

Sandvik have been pushing that front for nearly a decade now with ISO 13399. It's only in the last few years that others have started adopting it too, but it's gaining traction.

On the CAM side I know that at least NX, Surfcam, Gibbscam can import ISO13399 tool libraries directly, and you can go to Sandvik's website and download their entire tool collection as a ISO13399 library for that purpose...

ISO 13399 - Wikipedia

Sandvik have been pushing that front for nearly a decade now with ISO 13399. It's only in the last few years that others have started adopting it too, but it's gaining traction.

On the CAM side I know that at least NX, Surfcam, Gibbscam can import ISO13399 tool libraries directly, and you can go to Sandvik's website and download their entire tool collection as a ISO13399 library for that purpose...

ISO 13399 - Wikipedia

That's great if you only buy Sandviks tools and holders, but what about the others you might have around? I *think* they are supposed have some kind of standard (but am not sure)? IE all toolholder companies that make a 1/2 side lock with a 1 3/4" projection actually measure 1 3/4" across the board, within say .01" or so. Doesn't seem like .010" would be hard to hit for that feature.

I think Mastercam is pretty easy to select/make toolholders in.

That's great if you only buy Sandviks tools and holders, but what about the others you might have around? I *think* they are supposed have some kind of standard (but am not sure)? IE all toolholder companies that make a 1/2 side lock with a 1 3/4" projection actually measure 1 3/4" across the board, within say .01" or so. Doesn't seem like .010" would be hard to hit for that feature.

I think Mastercam is pretty easy to select/make toolholders in.

Like I said, Sandvik are not the only ones using it...

It's been around since 1988, privately owned and self financed.
Owners and founders probably ready to retire and Sandvik made the best offer.

Question is why were 2 top gcode verificaiton softwares up for sale at the same time? ...you can't tell me this Vericut deal was put together in the last 2 weeks since the AD annoucement.

Did AD get word on Sandvik making this play and wanted to jump in first?
Is Sandvik making a push at ADs attempt to control CAM?

This can't be the only software acquisition for Sandvik here. There must be something else coming, specifically in CAM.

Back