What's new
What's new

Mastercam 2022 issues

draganm

Aluminum
I've used 2020 for quite sometime and have pretty good luck with it. Was told by rep. that "2022 was basically the same", it's not. Manipulating the solid is a lot harder and infinitely more frustrating.

1) on the old mastercam you would remove a feature pretty easily and have it fill in the hole, the step, etc. the new one errors out very easily with "parasolid kernel error" or it just says "could not complete body creation or feature removal "

2) in cases where 2020 couldn't remove a feature, you could push/pull on your step/face until it matched an adjacent surface in height and the step would disappear, on 2022 it leaves the dividing line between the features and treats it as 2 separate faces. I tried " remove face" and it just screws up the model.

3) when you do manage to have it remove a feature , like the hole on the left/top, it doesn't really remove it. Similar to problem 2, it fills in the hole, and treats the model as a unified solid, but pushing puling on the face it's still a separate body. I tried Boolean/Add, but it doesn't see the problem and treats it as a single solid.
Please help, i can't open the file with my old Mastercam 2020 and this thing is kicking my a**

solids problem.JPG

Looks like a simple part to deal with. Must be something you're missing here.
Without seeing the file I would suggest running a Simplify and Optimize on the part to see if it improves some of the Model Prep functions.

Looks like a simple part to deal with. Must be something you're missing here.
Without seeing the file I would suggest running a Simplify and Optimize on the part to see if it improves some of the Model Prep functions.

thank you , I'll try that.

Another thing i noticed is if you want to remove a blind hole, you just picked the bottom of the hole and the old program was smart enough to remove all of it. Now you have to manually remove the bottom and the sides as well.

If your sweeping to create a solid, you can only pick the appropriate chains if your in the same plane, so your switching construction planes halfway thru the loft operation. I know for a fact the old version didn't do this.

I'm not software guy, but it's frustrating when new features break ones that worked previously.

I've noticed some of the same issues and more. 2022 is the worst release I've seen in a long time, hands down. Unusable if you ask me.

Solid manipulation is most definitely easier in 2022 than it was previously.
I've had the same issue and the issue usually boils down to the fact that you're not selecting everything, or the features you selected will not make a flat face when removed.
Does that hole have chamfers on the ends of it? Remove those first.
OR
select everything you want gone, and then MOVE, then drag it off the main body.

when you do manage to have it remove a feature , like the hole on the left/top, it doesn't really remove it. Similar to problem 2, it fills in the hole, and treats the model as a unified solid, but pushing puling on the face it's still a separate body.

Not on my end, so you're missing something.
2022 is by far their best release to date, and I've been using it since the V8 days way back when.
Is it perfect? Hell no, but 99 out of 100 problems with Mastercam usually boil down to the user not being familiar with something or not doing something correct.

I've noticed some of the same issues and more. 2022 is the worst release I've seen in a long time, hands down. Unusable if you ask me.
This version came with 2 patches right out of the gate, hopefully they release more. this will be my last version, it will get me thru the next 3 years and then I'm done.

Does that hole have chamfers on the ends of it? Remove those first.
OR
select everything you want gone, and then MOVE, then drag it off the main body.
no chamfer, sharp-edged blind hole.
yeah, i was able to muddle thru it last night by doing weird things like dragging features off your part to get rid of them but 2020 didn't this, each of these little glitches eats up time and frustration.

2022 is by far their best release to date, and I've been using it since the V8 days way back when.
Is it perfect? Hell no, but 99 out of 100 problems with Mastercam usually boil down to the user not being familiar with something or not doing something correct.
I jumped from V9 to 2018, and there were some similar issues. Drawing a simple wire rectangle in V9 required a lot less toggling. Overall i was pretty happy with 2018 and 2020, 2022 needs a little more work

Drawing a simple wire rectangle in V9 required a lot less toggling.
V9 was good for what it was, hotkeys made a lot of things easier.
Do you have your ribbon modified to your liking?
The default ribbon sucks ass and is very inefficient for the way I work.
I can draw a rectangle in 2-3 clicks, then I just enter my size in X and Y.

no chamfer, sharp-edged blind hole.
yeah, i was able to muddle thru it last night by doing weird things like dragging features off your part to get rid of them but 2020 didn't this, each of these little glitches eats up time and frustration.
There HAS to be something with that model that you're not seeing, something simple maybe.
Removing a feature is almost always flawless, but sometimes you have to do it in a certain order because of other features the model has.
I've ran into this issue a couple of times and it wasn't the fault of Mastercam it was how the model was constructed that it didn't like so sometimes I would have to recreate the model. Either from scratch or from some previous steps.

There HAS to be something with that model that you're not seeing, something simple maybe.
if i had just gotten this version then yeah, i would be looking in the mirror too. But I've been using this basic version of MC for over 4 years now. You can't remove features as easily as the old one, when you do it errors out. If you pull a step up to match the next surface up, it doesn't blend the 2 surfaces. I KNOW 2020 didn't have these problems.

Another issue, as you work longer on a model, keep the program open longer, it starts to slow down. "Analyze entity" or "analyze distance" or any feature takes longer and longer to come up. Eventually have to close and relaunch

Link the file so we can have a look
forum won't let me upload an .emcam file
Try this, draw a 3.0 Circle and a small .100 circle intersecting it at any point. Loft the small circle around the big circle without changing construction planes.

I see there is a "split solid face" feature. Is there a " blend solid face" feature?

Jesus F-in Christ, there's a 3RD UPDATE!

Dealer told me there were 2, POS didn't update itself or notify . Had to manually go to windows, programs, all programs, click on mastercam 2022.

Edit:

10;30pm, still at work.

Everything working normal now, what a nightmare

at least i can go home and sleep and not take it out on the people there

if i had just gotten this version then yeah, i would be looking in the mirror too. But I've been using this basic version of MC for over 4 years now. You can't remove features as easily as the old one, when you do it errors out. If you pull a step up to match the next surface up, it doesn't blend the 2 surfaces. I KNOW 2020 didn't have these problems.

forum won't let me upload an .emcam file
Try this, draw a 3.0 Circle and a small .100 circle intersecting it at any point. Loft the small circle around the big circle without changing construction planes.

I see there is a "split solid face" feature. Is there a " blend solid face" feature?

Something is definitely off here, pulling a step up to a next face, those faces will blend into one (assuming they are parallel). I would suggest trying to find a way to share the file. A dropbox link would work, or as mentioned above, head over to emastercam and share the file there.

I don't get a split in the solid when lofting as you mentioned. The loft is just one face. You can combine faces using the Simplify Solid function.

Jesus F-in Christ, there's a 3RD UPDATE!

Dealer told me there were 2, POS didn't update itself or notify . Had to manually go to windows, programs, all programs, click on mastercam 2022.

Edit:

10;30pm, still at work.

Everything working normal now, what a nightmare

at least i can go home and sleep and not take it out on the people there

SolidWorks got up to a 5th release for 2021. I think it should be seen as a good thing that patches are put out.
That being said, there is a 3.1 update for mcam but is really only of concern to mill turn users.

My Mastercam also didn't notify my when update 3 was immediately available. I waited a couple days and the auto update did pick it up then. Not sure what happened there.

Try using MOVE instead of PUSH/PULL, this should blend the 2.
I tried that, i tired everything even extruding a new solid over the old features and Boolean add. The model just kept getting worse and worse. Prior to the update it was completely broken,

I don't get a split in the solid when lofting as you mentioned. The loft is just one face. You can combine faces using the Simplify Solid function.
combining faces by simplifying solid simply did not work prior to update 3, i spent 3 hours fighting it prior to the update and took me 3 minutes to fix afterwards. It also doesn't lag now, at least not yet

SolidWorks got up to a 5th release for 2021. I think it should be seen as a good thing that patches are put out.
That being said, there is a 3.1 update for mcam but is really only of concern to mill turn users.
I don't know what the 3rd update covered, but it was a big one that took a long time to download and requiring re-boot. I also think it's good that updates are released, but it's a little frustrating when the update " fixes" things that got broken in between releases.

Anyway I'm done, i saved my file last night, put the PC to sleep and went home. This morning found MC had crashed overnight, LOL. This isn't so bad, 2018 and 2020 crashed a lot too up until maybe 6 months ago, usually on save, it was presumably patched. i can live with an occasional crash

thanks fore the help

Anyway I'm done, i saved my file last night, put the PC to sleep and went home. This morning found MC had crashed overnight, LOL.

How long was Mastercam up and running? How long since a reboot? I've been using Mastercam since '95. The moment it starts acting weird, the first thing you should do is save your file and restart Mastercam. Windows itself will also start acting weird if it doesn't get a clean reboot regularly.

How long was Mastercam up and running? How long since a reboot? I've been using Mastercam since '95. The moment it starts acting weird, the first thing you should do is save your file and restart Mastercam. Windows itself will also start acting weird if it doesn't get a clean reboot regularly.

+1
I restart Mastercam usually twice a day for an 8 hour session.

One feature that has disappeared was creating a point or a line referenced from another entity. For example if I need a point in space x.5 y.125 from an entity not knowing its exact location, it is no longer possible with 2022, you can create a point then proceed thru the transform/translate/x.../y... I contacted Mastercam about this and they were also stumped... I have been a user of Mastercant since 95 also...

Back