What's new
What's new

Second coordinate system for multiple operations in SW CAM

motofish84

Plastic
Hi there. Still learning and working my way through solidworks cam.

How can I create a second (or alter the original) coordinate system for a second milling operation in Solidworks cam?

Thanks for any insight

In the CAM NC Manager Tab Create a new configuration. Each Configuration has a different Stock definition and coordinate system. CAM configurations are distinct from SW configurations.

In the CAM NC Manager Tab Create a new configuration. Each Configuration has a different Stock definition and coordinate system. CAM configurations are distinct from SW configurations.

This is the way it's usually taught by most CamWorks trainers.

You can use a 2nd setup as well, but you have to define the new work coordinate in the Setup definition in the Operation tree. This is what I generally do. I only use different configurations to switch between machines or if the model I'm working with actually has SW side configurations.

This is the way it's usually taught by most CamWorks trainers.

You can use a 2nd setup as well, but you have to define the new work coordinate in the Setup definition in the Operation tree. This is what I generally do. I only use different configurations to switch between machines or if the model I'm working with actually has SW side configurations.

Is this true in all versions on SW? I have the basic version of Solidworks with the basic cam add in. No CamWorks unless they're one in the same?

I do see the "new config" option. Guess I'm still a bit confused on how to create operations to properly machine away the remaining excess stock (1/8") from the bottom of my part. Basically I'm machining two cylindrical bosses with a few holes / counterbores / chamfers. The stock size is 4" x 4" x 1.375" - I'm machining a top cylindrical boss at 2" dia. x 1.00" tall on top of a lower cylindrical boss at 3" dia. and .250" tall. Leaving .125" of material on the bottom to be machined. My initial plan is to flip the part and clamp the 2" boss in a soft jaw and machine away the .125 and follow up with the subsequent hole features in the bottom. Hope I'm making sense.

I must have to determine my new stock size after OP 1 and generate machining processes that will clear that. Or is there a way to carry over my simulated, machined part from OP 1 into my second config?

I must have to determine my new stock size after OP 1 and generate machining processes that will clear that. Or is there a way to carry over my simulated, machined part from OP 1 into my second config?

SW CAM is Camworks. Not all the features of Camworks are present yet, but I assume they are coming.

You can carry over your stock. When you 'Simulate' the machining, once you reach the end you can Save the STL of the machined stock. Then when you do your 2nd setup or configuration, when you define your stock, just use that STL file. The stock should be in the right orientation. If it's not, go back and save the STL again, but in the Save dialogue there is a drop down menu to select which coordinate system to use. Then match that with the same one on import, or one that you have made elsewhere.

Things to note: If you create a 2nd Setup for OP2, just simulate OP1 along with it. If you are doing the Configuration, save and import the machined stock.

SW CAM is Camworks. Not all the features of Camworks are present yet, but I assume they are coming.

You can carry over your stock. When you 'Simulate' the machining, once you reach the end you can Save the STL of the machined stock. Then when you do your 2nd setup or configuration, when you define your stock, just use that STL file. The stock should be in the right orientation. If it's not, go back and save the STL again, but in the Save dialogue there is a drop down menu to select which coordinate system to use. Then match that with the same one on import, or one that you have made elsewhere.

Things to note: If you create a 2nd Setup for OP2, just simulate OP1 along with it. If you are doing the Configuration, save and import the machined stock.

This is exactly the info I needed. Thank you to you and the others that have replied!

Back