Should you pay for this?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Should you pay for this?

Ok PM, what are the groups thoughts about setup and configuration of CAD CAM software?

If you own/rent a license from any vendor, you know your software has to be set up and configured correctly for the best results.

What level of participation do you feel as the owner/lead should be involved?

From my point of view, there are 3 groups.

1 - User Configured

2- Vendor Configured

3- Mix

What group are you in an why?

When do you expect the service to have a cost?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Ok PM, what are the groups thoughts about setup and configuration of CAD CAM software?

If you own/rent a license from any vendor, you know your software has to be set up and configured correctly for the best results.

What level of participation do you feel as the owner/lead should be involved?

From my point of view, there are 3 groups.

1 - User Configured

2- Vendor Configured

3- Mix

What group are you in an why?

When do you expect the service to have a cost?
    In your zeal to SPAM here, you missed this:
    Topic titles need to inform what your topic is actually about

and yes...I think YOU should PAY for THIS, that is FREE ADVERTIZING.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so you're in the mixed group?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like basically any piece of powerful software, I want as much user configuration as possible with sane defaults out of the box. Also, there's no way I want to go back to consult with the vendor every time I need a configuration change.

If a piece of software is business critical, you need to be able to configure it in house. The software vendor should provide documentation and sane defaults to make this as painless as possible. If the vendor sells configuration services, they are incentivized to not do either of these things. I know because I used to work in the software consulting industry and saw companies ship incomplete software products with messed up default settings so their enterprise clients would purchase their consulting services to fix it. No way I wanna see that kinda grifting going on in my CAM software!

5. Likes Billetgrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you're in the mixed group. The vendor should do some initial setup ( settings that make sense ) and the rest should be dialed in by the owner/lead of the project?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the key to ANY software that allows/encourages user configuration is to include excellent documentation on every one of the configurable items.

PM

8. Likes carbonbl, aldepoalo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    So you're in the mixed group. The vendor should do some initial setup ( settings that make sense ) and the rest should be dialed in by the owner/lead of the project?
    IMO, the vendor/maker should have everything as much as possible to run out of the box. IE, myself having used cad/cam software in the past should be able find and use most of the stuff with ease.... The user comes in when they need to tweak a certain function, or automate a process they uses every day or such...
    This was a big deal with NX, it needs so much user configs that without knowing "what you don't know", it's almost impossible to get up and running efficiently...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    This was a big deal with NX, it needs so much user configs that without knowing "what you don't know", it's almost impossible to get up and running efficiently...
    Ain't that the truth. Learning NX it seems like all of the power users programmed half of it themselves, along with Journals and extravagant posts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    IMO, the vendor/maker should have everything as much as possible to run out of the box. IE, myself having used cad/cam software in the past should be able find and use most of the stuff with ease.... The user comes in when they need to tweak a certain function, or automate a process they uses every day or such...
    I think adding custom features to your software you should pay extra. When you buy a software package you should have all your setting loaded by default. One thing people need to also understand is what the software manufacture recommends for a operating system you are installing the software on.