What's new
What's new

Should you pay for this?

aldepoalo

Stainless
Ok PM, what are the groups thoughts about setup and configuration of CAD CAM software?

If you own/rent a license from any vendor, you know your software has to be set up and configured correctly for the best results.

What level of participation do you feel as the owner/lead should be involved?

From my point of view, there are 3 groups.

1 - User Configured

2- Vendor Configured

3- Mix

What group are you in an why?

When do you expect the service to have a cost?

Ok PM, what are the groups thoughts about setup and configuration of CAD CAM software?

If you own/rent a license from any vendor, you know your software has to be set up and configured correctly for the best results.

What level of participation do you feel as the owner/lead should be involved?

From my point of view, there are 3 groups.

1 - User Configured

2- Vendor Configured

3- Mix

What group are you in an why?

When do you expect the service to have a cost?

In your zeal to SPAM here, you missed this:
Topic titles need to inform what your topic is actually about

and yes...I think YOU should PAY for THIS, that is FREE ADVERTIZING.

Like basically any piece of powerful software, I want as much user configuration as possible with sane defaults out of the box. Also, there's no way I want to go back to consult with the vendor every time I need a configuration change.

If a piece of software is business critical, you need to be able to configure it in house. The software vendor should provide documentation and sane defaults to make this as painless as possible. If the vendor sells configuration services, they are incentivized to not do either of these things. I know because I used to work in the software consulting industry and saw companies ship incomplete software products with messed up default settings so their enterprise clients would purchase their consulting services to fix it. No way I wanna see that kinda grifting going on in my CAM software!

So you're in the mixed group. The vendor should do some initial setup ( settings that make sense ) and the rest should be dialed in by the owner/lead of the project?

I believe the key to ANY software that allows/encourages user configuration is to include excellent documentation on every one of the configurable items.

PM

So you're in the mixed group. The vendor should do some initial setup ( settings that make sense ) and the rest should be dialed in by the owner/lead of the project?

IMO, the vendor/maker should have everything as much as possible to run out of the box. IE, myself having used cad/cam software in the past should be able find and use most of the stuff with ease.... The user comes in when they need to tweak a certain function, or automate a process they uses every day or such...
This was a big deal with NX, it needs so much user configs that without knowing "what you don't know", it's almost impossible to get up and running efficiently...

This was a big deal with NX, it needs so much user configs that without knowing "what you don't know", it's almost impossible to get up and running efficiently...

Ain't that the truth. Learning NX it seems like all of the power users programmed half of it themselves, along with Journals and extravagant posts.

IMO, the vendor/maker should have everything as much as possible to run out of the box. IE, myself having used cad/cam software in the past should be able find and use most of the stuff with ease.... The user comes in when they need to tweak a certain function, or automate a process they uses every day or such...

I think adding custom features to your software you should pay extra. When you buy a software package you should have all your setting loaded by default. One thing people need to also understand is what the software manufacture recommends for a operating system you are installing the software on.

In my experience, out of the box 'perfect' software's dont exist. They can give you a software that either has a few tools to do a few things very easily, but you are then limited on your capabilities. Or you have the other end of the spectrum with software like NX that has been mentioned here, it has tools and powerful capabilities to do whatever you may need. So I would say mixed, it truly depends on what you are using a CAM software for. I have been through shops that only drill and tap holes, and here they had less than 10 simple templates that did everything they needed to do in their CAM software. This would only require minimal upfront work from either a skilled programmer or assistance from the vendor that sold the software. But, the other side of the coin is the shops that do all kinds of jobs, whether it be prototype, or more job shop style. These machine shops aren't going to want to have their programmers spend the hours it takes to learn and craft the software to maximize it's efficiency. This is also something that not every vendor can afford to have someone on staff to do. That is where your third party comes in.

In my experience, out of the box 'perfect' software's dont exist...Or you have the other end of the spectrum with software like NX that has been mentioned here, it has tools and powerful capabilities to do whatever you may need...it truly depends on what you are using a CAM software for.

Exactly. In the NX community they use it for all the major areas; aerospace, defense, automotive, machines, turbo machinery, molds and stamping dies. It has specialized modules for many of them but even within modules there is plenty of room for site customization. There is software on the market which is marketed for specific niches and they work great for what they do but if it can be used for any market then it's fairly difficult to have it work great for every niche out of the box.

Not sure what you are saying here.... The question applies to all CAD-CAM end-users. This is not a brand or product specific question.

#3 - When I buy the software. The software should be usable after loading with "simple setup". If my work isn't correct, I am expected to replace/fix it or refund my fee. Goes for software vendors too. If you don't support it, it is no use to me.
George

If your question is will people be willing to pay Bobcad maintenance, then fuck no. People looking at Bobcad can't, or won't spend a penny more than they have to.

That's like asking if people will want to fly to Korea, to take delivery of their Hyundai at the factory.

Back