Shutting off those Godddamn Microcrap Windows 10 updates - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Q7 was a great machine. Programmed in COSEAL.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Q7 was a great machine. Programmed in COSEAL.

Tom
    Did some of its heavy lifting, near-real-time, in JOVIAL. Irony is the language survived, got a MIL-something number, lived-on in F15 weps. Not my rice bowl, lo these many years, but it may live, still yet in systems newer than F15.

There are what? 400-plus OS'en and 4,000-plus languages out in the wild?

And "Oh, but I have to use Windows"?

How 'bout we just give it a slice of "equal time" on monthly rotation with the 400 others, starting as tail-end Charlie.

Next slot on the rotation is when..?

Good month to go on Hols, no? Or just beat it to the punch and die of old age before it does.

I'm good with either, given as it seems as reluctant to die as a bad case of Athlete's foot fungus, or its parasitic WinCrobes, even if rather less welcome.

"Justice" would be to keep the bugs and WinCrobes and shitcan the OS.

Oh.. wait.. that's EXACTLY what Redmond HAS been doing last several releases, isn't it?

Clever people, these bandits!

VERY clever..

Apple, not really my favorite people, either, just different flavor, at least had the guts to bite the loyalty bullet, roll-dice (favourably pre-loaded ones, albeit) and go over to an entirely new model of OS.

Partially "borrowed" was OK. Compulsion to f**k it up, less so.

Smothers Brother's rules, one supposes: "If you borrow it, BREAK it!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And that is why I don’t own any windows products anymore Mac for life now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes lobito liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis K View Post
    And that is why I don’t own any windows products anymore Mac for life now.
    An improvement, certainly. And an easy one with major payback.

The "for life" part, OTOH, simply exchanges one serfdom for another.

Handhelds and Android would be more of the same.

True progress is when there are many, many OS'en, coming and going, waxing and waning in market share on the merit and fitness for each user's purpose. None of them need dominate. File and communications standards hide the seams.

None should be so pervasive as to expose the finance sector, retail sector, utility grid, Social Security nor health data, nor national security in one go,

More applications could be truly cross-platform by virtue of the toolset they require rather than the OS that supports that toolset.

We have always had some of that diversity in everything. We have long had most of that diversity in most things. We even have all of it in a few things.

LIES are told otherwise. Of course they are. There's MONEY in that!

Microsoft serfdom wasn't created by their average or below bug-creating coders. NFW!

It was created by Marketeers and the job security they offered an ever-increasingly broken environment created for legions of half-competent "Microsoft Certified <butt boy>" certificate displayers. More layers added to play with the creation of malware, then the pretense of "protecting" against it to build more clever versions of it, lather, rinse, repeat.

Gadzillions of folks having ace'ed the "Gullibility test" by adopting Windows, Advertisers pounced on that presumed gullibility to flood the bandwidth to easily 90% of all traffic. Essentially all of it useless, save for raising the connectivity cost and dropping its usefulness to the subscriber gullible enough to pay more and more for less and less.

IS/IT heads, data center, network operators, software developers in turn saw expanded staff headcount and budgets to juggle the shit trafficed as their own route to higher wages and the false belief that they were indispensable assets to a firm, rather than the profligate wasters of its scarcer resources. Even its very future survival.

The balances just fell into the hands of Monopoly or Monopsony holders, and very much the WRONG ones. Legions of parasites flocked to the open buffet table.

That's not a GOOD thing, even for agriculture, animal husbandry, fishing, banking, retailing, beverage or food making, transportation or energy provision.

Stifling of genetic diversity isn't even good for keeping the odds favorable for human survival.

Gates and Allen or Ballmer's "fault"?

Not really. World is FULL of people who love to f***k themselves, then defend it as a good idea - so long as they think they got an advantage of it over some other poor struggling bastid harder done-by, yet.

All the bandits did was give the fools what they asked for, and collect the tickets.

F**king over those LESS foolish didn't enter the equation. Those weren't Microsoft customers, so why care until they, too "got the memo", folded tent...
    ...and drank the kool aid.

Apple? Well.... At least they sell their poison in a nice looking cup with their OWN brand right on it. Less mendacious, at least, in 'fessing-up like that, right from the get-go.

Y'all ASKED for it. You got it. What's not to like about that?

6. Likes Louis K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sure sounds like most of the people here dont work for a living, if they have that much time to dick around with their computers.

I want my computer to work right out of the box, and not need constant fiddling.

I run a Mac and a Winbox side by side in my office, as I need both for different proprieatary programs.
    The Mac is far less trouble, but I find the big key to keeping the windows machine running is dont let it go on line any more than you have to. It just gets into a lot more trouble out there in the yard than the mac does.

8. Likes thermite, gregormarwick, TDegenhart liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you are getting screwed by your windows machine, think about Gates buying a new Porsche 911 as easy as the ordinary guy buying a can of Coca-Cola. Including all his globalist solutions to solve poverty, over-population, vaccinations.

The Few, The Proud, The Linux Users.

10. Likes lobito liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    When you are getting screwed by your windows machine, think about Gates buying a new Porsche 911 as easy as the ordinary guy buying a can of Coca-Cola.
    As easily as an ordinary guy doing nothing at all, you mean. Do the math. Costs us more in relative terms to but draw a single breath than it costs Gates to buy a Porsche.
    "The few, the lib-version-cursed, the Linux Masochists", you really mean.

How many "Distros" are the various species and colonies of ever-diversifying Penguins up to now? Have they hit the first full thousand, yet?

That's not OS diversity. That's barely even custom-kernel diversity.

Even so, customizing of kernels as it is when half the code in the known universe has been migrated INTO a bloated and bloating kernel, must add tens of thousand more in variations, just on the same kernel theme.

Still, as Linux isn't a packaged "OS", the kernal team can protect some of it.

The real challenge for implementors is largely the outright ANARCHY in GNU and userland.

Mind.. more better an anarchist who thinks for himself, even if in disagreement, than a WinWeenie who doesn't understand that his "normal", is anything but that.

12. Likes gregormarwick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    How many "Distros" are the various species and colonies of ever-diversifying Penguins up to now? Have they hit the first full thousand, yet?

What it is is extreme fragmentation, and the sole reason that Linux as a whole still maintains such a small market share. To the average user who might be tempted to check out Linux, the sheer volume of options usually leads to doubt, hesitation, frustration and ultimately to simply not choose. Windows is Windows, MacOS is MacOS, Linux is... too many things.

In Scotland in the late eighties and throughout the nineties when I was in school, we were taught on Macs. At university we were taught using a combination of Windows, Irix and Solaris. I've used who knows how many different Linux distros, going as far back as the late nineties, and have up to date Arch and Mint installs booting alongside Windows on my gaming PC. MacOS remains my preferred operating system by a country mile - if I could use it for everything I would in a heartbeat.

[COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]

14. Likes thermite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As easily as an ordinary guy doing nothing at all, you mean. Do the math. Costs us more in relative terms to but draw a single breath than it costs Gates to buy a Porsche.

"The few, the lib-version-cursed, the Linux Masochists", you really mean.

Even so, customizing of kernels as it is when half the code in the known universe has been migrated INTO a bloated and bloating kernel, must add tens of thousand more in variations, just on the same kernel theme.

Still, as Linux isn't a packaged "OS", the kernal team can protect some of it.

The real challenge for implementors is largely the outright ANARCHY in GNU and userland.

Mind.. more better an anarchist who thinks for himself, even if in disagreement, than a WinWeenie who doesn't understand that his "normal", is anything but that.

A lot of gobbly gook without any experience with what or how a kernel works. Maybe you can explain your knowledge of different scheduling policies or priority inversion. Or how all that works on a multi-processor system. What is the differences between the different choices of file systems on Linux and the POS one you are stuck with Willows.... oh that's Windows. Keep getting confused with the name. Fear not, may you keep your windows crap endowment. They made it especially for youssiiee....

Don't forget to brush your teeth with your favorite fluoride laden toothpaste, you will be doing Gates a favor. (What did I mean by that.... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How could a company become the leading OS worldwide with such a POS!
    They made it only through crimininal market purging methods.
    They should be prosecuted in an international tribunal for the damage they do every day to the economy and the nerves of every user with their POS!
    It's called windows because it's supposed to be thrown out of the window..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohh, Fuck Off Please!!!

You've been around for some-odd 20+ years, and still have not gotten the unwashed to turn!

Is it better? Yes!
    Is it more robust? Yes!

But gimme a fucking break and make it understandable to the Facebook, Twitter, Snap-Chat idiots of recent years!
    'Cos for me, I am sick and fucking tired of fixing all of their I-something ( Apple, Google or otherwise ) pieces of crap!
    At the house (home) we've got a Win XP-32 built back in 2006 running everything.
    There is a Win7-64 all sectioned out, ready to go, have access to all of it but they don't want/care about it.
    At the shop I have an XP-32, Win7-32 and a Win7-64 for all business needs.

In both cases, they all depend on a Synology server, which of course is running a flavor of Linux backstage.

At the shop, all is well.
    At home, all they cry about is where is my I-tunes backup, lost E-mails, lost downloaded pictures from a $3k camera ...

Seriously? Here is the local IP address, this is your very own username and password to get to a directory where all your shit can be deposited to,
    and will reside at, for as long as you need ( with my own backup schedule in the background )...

I don't much care for the creations of Gates or Jobs.
    Gates made a good run at it and is still a player, Jobs fucked it up and is now in the "cloud" plane. Plain and simple.
    Back in the 80-s ... Oh well, Fuck it.

MS dominates, live with it.
    MAC fucked it up, live with it.
    SUN fucked it up, live with it. ( Oh yes, I still have not one but 3 SPARCstation-20 pizza boxes in my possession )

I hate just about every update that came out after WIN7 ( though Win7 was a small change too ), but it still has access to everything I need!!!

At the end of the day, this being a machining forum after all .... Makino uses Windoze, DMG uses Windoze and Haas ( as fucked up their JAWA based NextGen control is )
    accepting and complying with MS for networking and file transfer.

You don't like it?
    Then fucking do something about it!!!!
    I'm all in for utilizing the 3 pizza boxes I have as an access point! Neither of them got a floppy or a CD drive, but they all have an RJ45, Serial and Parallel port.
    So please! Pipe up that Linux stuff!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of gobbly gook without any experience with what or how a kernel works. Maybe you can explain your knowledge of different scheduling policies or priority inversion. Or how all that works on a multi-processor system. What is the differences between the different choices of file systems on Linux and the POS one you are stuck with Willows.... oh that's Windows. Keep getting confused with the name. Fear not, may you keep your windows crap endowment. They made it especially for youssiiee....

Don't forget to brush your teeth with your favorite fluoride laden toothpaste, you will be doing Gates a favor. (What did I mean by that.... )
    Child? You sure as s**t aimed THAT spew at the wrongest <ethnic> as ever was!!!

William Henry Gates III was four years old the year my first card-deck went into an IBM mainframe.

All the years since, I ain't found a damned thing he has I'd want any part of. Not even his money, his wife, his house, or his choice of automobiles.

"New" technology for me started with gates, sure enough.

Gates were "cool". Literally.
    After the heat of hollow state? Analog first, digital later? Dambetcha they were "cool".

But they were RTL, DTL, DCL, TTL, and CMOS gates.

AND NOT William H, da turd Gates!

You ain't got enough years left, and PM ain't got the PATIENCE to sit through what has happened since.

First started hacking schedulers, did it in Octal, then Hex. Didn't have 66 hours for an assembler run!

'puters used to have clock speeds in KHz not MHz or GHz, and 4 KILOBYTES of Dr. Wang's best core costing more than a Cadillac was FAT CITY!

Seriously doubt you would know how to get useful work even out of a bit-slice if you hadn't already confused it for an order at the deli counter...

F***kin' SCRIPT KIDDIES!!!

I don't run f*****g "Windows".

OpenBSD devel "snapshots", rather.

Retired, y'see. Twice. Wanted a lazy man's zero-effort "appliance" in me old-age that doesn't need but 20-30 minutes a year of my time.

And Ron?

I think you KNEW all that.

You just went and wound me up a-purpose for shits and giggles!

I really shudda seen that one coming, predictive branching or no!

19. Likes GenePoole liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wind you up? Naa..

Mind you, the main spring is getting old and rusty.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    getting old and rusty.

Tom
    Just hoping the "incoming!" .... Lady Wife dasn't read PM.

She mought be of a mind to remove surface rust off this Old Iron by pushing it off with a sharp scraper blade. Then Scotchbriting the curved parts.

Oye! dat schmartz!

Best I hide the needle scaler...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't have Windows 10 (I disabled all the upgrade stuff using registry keys) but I know there is a lot of concern and some very tech savvy people have posted various "hacks" and workarounds.

Try searching for something like "living with Windows 10".

PS: I've recently started exploring Ubuntu (Linux) as a future replacement for Windows when Win 7 becomes obsolete/non-supported.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I don't have Windows 10 (I disabled all the upgrade stuff using registry keys) but I know there is a lot of concern and some very tech savvy people have posted various "hacks" and workarounds.

Try searching for something like "living with Windows 10".

PS: I've recently started exploring Ubuntu (Linux) as a future replacement for Windows when Win 7 becomes obsolete/non-supported.
    Try Slackware derived "Vector Linux" first. Year before last's idled 'puter will do fine, run faster than Win-dosed ever did, same hardware.

Welcome to VectorLinux — VectorLinux.com

It won't take any TIME. It won't shit in your oatmeal or make your head hurt. It's as close as I've seen to both "really, really, full featured" and lean, mean, and hungry as a velociraptor in Georgia-overdrive afterburner at the same time.

And it is as easy to adapt to as a common toaster oven for folk who actually have a LIFE outside of dog-paddling in a sea of Penguinista guano whilst mucking about with scripts and config's.

"Load and forget" ready to use appliance, IOW.

About 30 minutes to OpenBSD's four minutes, but that includes the apps, not just the OS, where a *BSD needs a "package_add" followup whilst one goes away for coffee.

Not that different, after all at screen and keyboard once "up". OpenBSD just takes security to a whole 'nuther level of paranoia by "default".

Both JFW so you can do the important stuff and carry on living rather than f**k-withing.

After all:

Los que se llamen "computadores", se trabajen con putas!
    Those who call themselves "computer workers", work with whores.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    Ohh, Fuck Off Please!!!

You've been around for some-odd 20+ years, and still have not gotten the unwashed to turn!

Is it better? Yes!
    Is it more robust? Yes!

But gimme a fucking break and make it understandable to the Facebook, Twitter, Snap-Chat idiots of recent years!
    'Cos for me, I am sick and fucking tired of fixing all of their I-something ( Apple, Google or otherwise ) pieces of crap!
    At the house (home) we've got a Win XP-32 built back in 2006 running everything.
    There is a Win7-64 all sectioned out, ready to go, have access to all of it but they don't want/care about it.
    At the shop I have an XP-32, Win7-32 and a Win7-64 for all business needs.

In both cases, they all depend on a Synology server, which of course is running a flavor of Linux backstage.

At the shop, all is well.
    At home, all they cry about is where is my I-tunes backup, lost E-mails, lost downloaded pictures from a $3k camera ...

Seriously? Here is the local IP address, this is your very own username and password to get to a directory where all your shit can be deposited to,
    and will reside at, for as long as you need ( with my own backup schedule in the background )...

I don't much care for the creations of Gates or Jobs.
    Gates made a good run at it and is still a player, Jobs fucked it up and is now in the "cloud" plane. Plain and simple.
    Back in the 80-s ... Oh well, Fuck it.

MS dominates, live with it.
    MAC fucked it up, live with it.
    SUN fucked it up, live with it. ( Oh yes, I still have not one but 3 SPARCstation-20 pizza boxes in my possession )

I hate just about every update that came out after WIN7 ( though Win7 was a small change too ), but it still has access to everything I need!!!

At the end of the day, this being a machining forum after all .... Makino uses Windoze, DMG uses Windoze and Haas ( as fucked up their JAWA based NextGen control is )
    accepting and complying with MS for networking and file transfer.

You don't like it?
    Then fucking do something about it!!!!
    I'm all in for utilizing the 3 pizza boxes I have as an access point! Neither of them got a floppy or a CD drive, but they all have an RJ45, Serial and Parallel port.
    So please! Pipe up that Linux stuff!
    Fuck you too. It's morons like you who think they are operating system experts because they pay for a Windows OS and get a complementary PHD. In reality YOU, and them don't know jack shit. Enjoy your windows crap, it was designed to be used by uneducated dumbed down idiots.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Child? You sure as s**t aimed THAT spew at the wrongest <ethnic> as ever was!!!

William Henry Gates III was four years old the year my first card-deck went into an IBM mainframe.

All the years since, I ain't found a damned thing he has I'd want any part of. Not even his money, his wife, his house, or his choice of automobiles.

"New" technology for me started with gates, sure enough.

Gates were "cool". Literally.
    After the heat of hollow state? Analog first, digital later? Dambetcha they were "cool".

But they were RTL, DTL, DCL, TTL, and CMOS gates.

AND NOT William H, da turd Gates!

You ain't got enough years left, and PM ain't got the PATIENCE to sit through what has happened since.

First started hacking schedulers, did it in Octal, then Hex. Didn't have 66 hours for an assembler run!

'puters used to have clock speeds in KHz not MHz or GHz, and 4 KILOBYTES of Dr. Wang's best core costing more than a Cadillac was FAT CITY!

Seriously doubt you would know how to get useful work even out of a bit-slice if you hadn't already confused it for an order at the deli counter...

F***kin' SCRIPT KIDDIES!!!

I don't run f*****g "Windows".

OpenBSD devel "snapshots", rather.

Retired, y'see. Twice. Wanted a lazy man's zero-effort "appliance" in me old-age that doesn't need but 20-30 minutes a year of my time.

And Ron?

I think you KNEW all that.

You just went and wound me up a-purpose for shits and giggles!

I really shudda seen that one coming, predictive branching or no!

I can see a guy like you sitting in a wheel chair all day and pounding the keys on this forum. You know a lot of the buzz words because you are a old timer, but your knowledge is shallow in many areas. All you do is dress up your post with window dressing. A Windows guy with his window dressing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can see a guy like you sitting in a wheel chair all day and pounding the keys on this forum. You know a lot of the buzz words because you are a old timer, but your knowledge is shallow in many areas. All you do is dress up your post with window dressing. A Windows guy with his window dressing.
    Keep 'em coming, I can surely use the laughs!

Only three new instances of windows I've purchased in the 27 years under this roof, two ordinary, one a "gateway" service provider, came with a lifetime warranty, still run 24 X 7 X 365 without even ONE reboot so far, have required ONE security patch (on the gateway), zero other patch services, NO upgrades, and may go another ten years before they need any attention.

They were installed by an expert, y'see. Ich.

You think there ever existed a Linux distro as could match that?

Which one is it, then?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep 'em coming, I can surely use the laughs!

Only three new instances of windows I've purchased in the 27 years under this roof, two ordinary, one a "gateway" service provider, came with a lifetime warranty, still run 24 X 7 X 365 without even ONE reboot so far, have required ONE security patch (on the gateway), zero other patch services, NO upgrades, and may go another ten years before they need any attention.

They were installed by an expert, y'see. Ich.

You think there ever existed a Linux distro as could match that?

Which one is it, then?

I was right.