Shutting off those Godddamn Microcrap Windows 10 updates - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    Enjoy your windows crap, it was designed to be used by uneducated dumbed down idiots.
    You seem confused. Isn't that the traditional pejorative levied at mac users? Usually by Windows users in fact. Where do we mac users fit in YOUR world view? Just curious.

Anyways, your argument is kind of ridiculous. Linux isn't that complicated. Once you get under it's skin, Windows IS - horribly, terribly so; complicated, contrived, illogical, patched together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have pretty stable windows 7 machines, and there is a mod found online to stop the 10 upgrade permanently
    it uprgraded me to 10 once, but luckily I saw the fine print in the corner of the screen and downgraded immediately

windows 10 is the last OS from MS. They are going subscription, which is why they are driving upgrades
    There are fixes to long update cycles, I did something to the 7 machines to stop it, they were going berserk for a while, hard drive whining for hours.
    At the very least limit the upgrades downloaded, and make it ask.

I have a 2000 machine that still runs fine, but is having trouble on the web

I have a couple old Vista machines around that I use for stuff, had to go to Opera browser to get some things to work

My problem is Quickbooks has gone subscription only, so if I lose my harddrive, I have no accounting sofware. I haven't bought it in 5 or 6 years and at the time it was a download, so unless I can get it to load on another machine....and get it authenticated....

Sorry to you Linux folks, my computer is a toaster, not a project, no I don't have time to screw around when updates come out. Yes Microsoft is a nuisance, even evil, Apple is worse[talk about losing control of your hardware]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Linux isn't that complicated. Once you get under it's skin,
    If you mean a so-called kernel bigger than about any real entire OS footprint as 'skin', yeah. Might still be a germ of value hiding in that massive bloat still, yet.
    Windows IS - horribly, terribly so; complicated, contrived, illogical, patched together.
    My three installs ain't at ALL like that. Simple as can be. Don't offer to break, just do their damned job and never annoy me with intrusions. Fully connected to the outside world these are as well.

No firewall, no bastion server, no air-gap, not even a virus checker. No armour of any sort beyond the most modest of standard mischief-maker screening they arrived with.

I'm good with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post

Sorry to you Linux folks, my computer is a toaster, not a project,
    That, right there. Plain and simple.

5. Likes thermite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    You seem confused. Isn't that the traditional pejorative levied at mac users? Usually by Windows users in fact. Where do we mac users fit in YOUR world view? Just curious.

Anyways, your argument is kind of ridiculous. Linux isn't that complicated. Once you get under it's skin, Windows IS - horribly, terribly so; complicated, contrived, illogical, patched together.
    You have not seen one line of source code. Stay curious.

You can read about how Apple will transfer encyprtion keys to the Chinese governemnt. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuck you too. It's morons like you who think they are operating system experts because they pay for a Windows OS and get a complementary PHD. In reality YOU, and them don't know jack shit. Enjoy your windows crap, it was designed to be used by uneducated dumbed down idiots.

Curious: Can your foot touch the ground?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    Hi All:
    Rather pissed off at the moment; my Surface Pro just decided to update right in the middle of a task...again.
    The fucking thing just did half an hour's worth of updates this morning for crap's sake!
    It started telling me it wanted to do more this afternoon, so I went into the settings and used the option that lets you reschedule them for a different day.

Haw haw haw, the settings just get ignored so here i am unable to work while it loads a bunch more shit I don't want and don't need like the ability to "sync" all my devices better than before, and guess what I can now make it do shit by yelling at it...oh fucking joy.
    It's a working computer...I don't WANT all that fucking crap!.
    What is it about modern software that is so indifferent to the needs of the customer and just imposes its shit in this arbitrary way.
    Seems to me it's all going that way, Autodesk to Adobe to Quickbooks to Microshit; even Solidworks is nibbing around the edges.

So please please, anyone who knows the Golden Secret of how to retake control of Windows 10...tell me how to force it not to update until I'm damned well good and ready.

Not so cheery right now

Marcus
    Updates are a fact of life and are just as pleasant as death, taxes and a really bad rash.

If it's not updating when you have told it to then something in the registry could be hosed or it could even be a simple case of it's not finishing what it needs to do so then it attempts to complete updating the next opportunity. Which is usually at the most inopportune time and that's one thing Monkey$haft is very good at. I'm not at my Win 10 workstation at the moment but I seem to recall there are separate settings for how it updates and when it reboots.

Once in a while updates will need to reboot the computer before installing after the previous ones. It's a pain in the ass but it helps to know this can be the case sometimes.

A speedy internet connection helps for sure. Some updates are huge and on our workstations I have seen multiple reboots required during updates. Also if your wifi connection is flaky that will compound problems. In cases like that s slow internet connection will make life miserable for you.

It's a good idea to leave it do it's thing when updates come in or the queue can build up and all the problems I have mentioned become compounded when you do allow it to update but at that point you'll probably want to chuck your computer in the trash or a nearby lake.

Many people like to shut down their computers whenever they're not using them but if a lot of updates come down they can accumulate. Then it's made way worse with a shitty internet connection and throw in reboots from updates with prerequisite install and, presto, you are now a candidate for a stroke or nervous breakdown.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    When I'm not stepping on the cockroaches. Try to step around them on the side walks but when they crawl into the house then I take action. Messy business getting people educated. Especially the fluoridated kind. LOL

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only if you unzip his "big" head on the dotted line and invert him, logic and all.

No POINT in hauling it out of his mouth. DeMorganed to a rectal XOR as it be.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I'm not stepping on the cockroaches. Try to step around them on the side walks but when they crawl into the house then I take action. Messy business getting people educated. Especially the fluoridated kind. LOL
    Hong Kong cockroach would make a meal of you, demand its money back for short rations served..

You were a little bit less full of sh... *yourself*, you might have noticed my only windows installation was spelled with a lowercase 'w'.

You want trouble-free goods? You don't buy them from Microsoft.

You buy them from Pella.

The "gateway server" is a f***king "Atrium" door, the "security patch" longer fasteners for its latch strike plate, the modest screen keeps mosquitoes out on the two kitchen windows, and they have needed no maintenance because their wooden frames are vinyl clad on the outside in contrast to your wont of being plastic inside and out to reduce risk of low blood pressure from bullshit seepage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

You buy them from Pella.
    I did. I won't anymore.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    I did. I won't anymore.

Tom
    Lucky, perhaps. It was a long time ago, and they seemed a better budget fit than Anderson.

Not really anything wrong with the no-name OEM double-hungs from early '70's that glazing putty and some scraping and painting won't cure.

Last many years, everybody and his Brother-in-law's girfriend seem to be touting custom-made windows. CNC doin's one supposes.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    My problem is Quickbooks has gone subscription only, so if I lose my harddrive, I have no accounting sofware. I haven't bought it in 5 or 6 years and at the time it was a download, so unless I can get it to load on another machine....and get it authenticated....

I went to LedgerSMB some years ago. Initially it was a pain but once running, has worked perfectly and never needed an "upgrade" since. If I want to I can but none of these forced bend-over sessions.

Runs on any operating system with postgresql and php. Remote or local access. Adheres to accepted accounting practices.

Undergo big pain once (setting something like that up) or undergo small pains for years, seems like that's the choice.

Computing sucks. They all took something that served a purpose and turned it into pointlessly complicated poorly-performing shit. And don't tell me no fanboy nonsense about Loonix, I'll just point you to gtk3. Sad.

15. Likes RC Mech, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Messy business getting people educated. Especially the fluoridated kind. LOL
    Fluoridation?
    fluorosellers.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting and not sure of the OP's frustration.
    As a coder of operating systems before the IBM PC came about I have much to hate in this world but find Win 10 nicer.
    It is intrusive, get why and not so much that I care.
    Don't want to play, just run XP or DOS 6.2 ... but you want more....
    Pay more to your IT staff.
    You are a rocket scientist proven so many times here. The question is sort of weird.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post

Bob

I'm pretty sure the OP has already figured it out, settled it and got over his frustration at the time. ( though still pissed off to a degree )
    And yet, I am curious when will Mr. Almighty Rons do the same?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dunno, I get the impression that his superiority complex may be terminal...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ron has spells. Sometimes he has just missed a memo or three.

His head isn't ALWAYS in such deep rectal defilade as to rage on a BSD wizard over WinWoes never really used.

That he has remained oblivious to that is a bit of a stitch, actually!

Bit like railing at Ayn Rand as a "Communist" because she was born in Russia, so what else could she possibly be?

Mind, I appreciate WinWOES!

It is dead-reliable bait to keep the horseflies over feasting on some other poor bastard's watermelon slice, and distant as can be from my one!

Linux is appreciated as well. Screens out the wee-minded sheeple-folk who could never make the grade to Unix without constantly getting their undershorts wrapped around the driveshaft, and does that at their own time and expense.

Zero impact on the activities of the grown-ups, save for their constant background noise.

REAL Linux experts do Unix and several other environments and license models seamlessly. They create and port drivers, file systems, utilities, desktop environments, toolsets, and apps at will in all directions. They aren't the least bit religious about a damned one of the platforms. Linux is just one more box-tick among many. Each beloved at one project or release, disgusting the next go. Rinse. Repeat. Take a new seat.

WTF.. ALL OS & associated toolsets and environments suck ditchwater up their arse anyway, one way or many. Some are just WORSE than others, and by turns.

We just deal with that. Keep no fewer than two "hot". Have at least one more alternative under a watchful eye.

Not at all hard. Bit of fun, rather.

Even "civilians", AKA end Lusers, can do that much!

My life-long favourite?

The "state machine".

Solder, wire-wrap, Berg jumpers, DIP or BCD switches, blasted fuse-link PROM?

"fire and forget" if ever was!

21. Likes gregormarwick liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    If you mean a so-called kernel bigger than about any real entire OS footprint as 'skin', yeah. Might still be a germ of value hiding in that massive bloat still, yet.

My three installs ain't at ALL like that. Simple as can be. Don't offer to break, just do their damned job and never annoy me with intrusions. Fully connected to the outside world these are as well.

No firewall, no bastion server, no air-gap, not even a virus checker. No armour of any sort beyond the most modest of standard mischief-maker screening they arrived with.

I'm good with that.
    Oh boy, THREE whole installs. Now you are an expert (NOT).

Let me guess:
    1. Windows95
    2. Windows98
    3. WindowsXP

reminder:
    Thread is titled as "microcrap"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    As a coder of operating systems before the IBM PC came about I have much to hate in this world but find Win 10 nicer.
    It is intrusive, get why and not so much that I care.
    Don't want to play, just run XP or DOS 6.2 ... but you want more....
    Pay more to your IT staff.
    You are a rocket scientist proven so many times here. The question is sort of weird.
    Bob
    Have not met many who have kind words for Windows. Only defensive statements from those how have no other choice but use it (and hate it at the same time).

Worked within CP/M, CP/M86, BIOS (PC clone), AT&T Unix, SunOS (consultant at SunSoft), NucleusPLUS, MicroC/OS, FreeRTOS. Installed and used Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7. Installed and used FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Fedora, Corel, Ubuntu, CentOS. I have to leave a few out due to non-disclosure.

Quite a list versus Thermite's 3 whimpy professional installs, which means not be himself.

I keep XP, Vista, and 7 as dual boot agents on different machines just for emergencies like when I get a letter drafted in MS Word ( ) from non-believers of portable formats. I might boot a Windows OS once or twice a year and I look at the network traffic and expect a email from Washington, "What's the matter, don't you likes we?".

The Linux and BSD systems above are equal or a lot better than any Windows. Switched over from Windows in late 1998. Linux was not so great at that time, but neither was W95 and W98. But it's performance is fantastic now. Remember that Thermite when you have to manually defragment, or as I like to call it "scatter and gather". You have plenty of time to think when you watch your disk activity light pop on and off, wondering what the HELL is going on...

LOL

Hey Thermite, you missed out on your chance for Luck Six in that Hardinge thread. You don't own one and probably never touched one, but what the heck. A free country lets guys (I assume) like you roam around wherever... and be a pest.