Sick of Fusion 360 / Affordable Alternatives - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I'm going to look into oneCNC a little bit. Anyone else use that?

Keep the suggestions and experiences coming.

It is my understanding you do not need to maintain the maintenance agreements if you don't want updates????
    I've been a very happy OneCNC user for the last 10 years (XR4, XR5, XR6 Expert Now). I have not upgraded the last couple of rounds (current version is XR8) because it works well with what I do, and I haven't seen any real advantages. It just keeps working perfectly for me.

2. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started years ago with bobcad and the drawing was good and the Cam was CRAP ,, then I spent about 7K on gibbs and the drawing was crap and the cam was good ,, then I got Onecnc XR6 about 5 years ago and then stepped up to 4 axis XR7 about 2 years ago and could not be more happy ,,, I am picky about production parts and hand code all of them but do my fixtures and proto parts with onecnc and it was SUPER fast to learn and best thing about it how intuitive it is ,,, there having a half price sale this last month or so and I feel I got what I payed for buying it at full price ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been using OneCNC for seven years. For simple work, it's beautifully easy, fast and reliable. For more complex work, it can be pretty tough. The simultaneous 5 axis toolpaths only are available in the X Y plane, I've only really been able to use them on a few parts. 5 axis positioning works fine. The 3 axis milling has some problems too, it can be hard to get the pencil toolpath to do exactly what you want. 3d lead in, and lead outs are a real problem, and it will only run a simple shape as stock for simulation. The postprocessors are reliable, and easy to modify. There isn't any maintenance, but there also hasn't been much ongoing development that I can tell.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think affordable and cad/cam is an oxymoron.

I guess it depends on your definition of affordable. Alot of people will tell you skimping on a cam (at minimum) package is throwing money away. I would agree for the most part, but it's not my money.

I've told this story before, we bought NX and struggled to get training for it, then the "training" was simply following pre-existing lessons from a book, which I could do on my own...

So whatever you decide, make sure to include time/expenses for training to get you up and running as fast as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been using OneCNC for quite a few years. The early version was not a lot better than BobCAD but they have improved by leaps and bounds. I am currently running version XR7 3D professional and I like it pretty much. I do a fair amount of 3D work and it works pretty good. I think the price is under $4k and with the half off sale they are running it is a pretty good deal in my estimation.

I haven't used BobCAD in years so I have no idea how they have developed.

We do also use Fusion and we like that as well so I guess take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not recommending, but throwing it out for comment:- Alibre. Prices are in the right range, don't know about capability/usability because I'm still struggling to get motivated to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think most would be surprised by how much you can do with BobCAD at this point. The price is right and the feature are there. Now being a Harris computer company, I am sure you'll see the shift in the level of customer service being offered.

Easy to use, powerful, and feature-rich. A perpetual license, full 2-5 axis milling, 2-5 axis Mill-Turn and more.

You don't see onecnc offering barrel mills and supporting toolpaths. BobCAD does, just like Mastercam, Vero products, and other CAD CAM systems.

For what it's worth in my opinion, the best CAM system or CAD CAM system is the one you know. At this point, most of the systems offer very similar features.

Yes I am the BobCAD guy so of course, I recommend it.

With that said, if you are looking for a real solution get some real demos. All CAD CAM vendors will offer a demo or a temp license for you to test and evaluate the software. Sure that means talking with lots of vendors, but it also means really understanding what your needs are and evaluating them and finding the right solution.

You're not going to find your answer by posting " i hate my current CAD CAM system"

You have lots of choices, more than you think, or listed here in this thread. Take your time, do some demos and buy one. Then make sure you get the training you need to be successful with that software.

Also I have to say Patrick Matthews is a stand-up guy and if you're in CA- he would be a great AE to have on your side.

I wish you luck and if there is something I can help with directly please let me know.

9. Likes wrustle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post

You don't see onecnc offering barrel mills and supporting toolpaths. BobCAD does, just like Mastercam, Vero products, and other CAD CAM systems.
    What's a barrel mill?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm running Alibre for CAD and use the add-on AlibreCAM from Mecsoft.
    I own it, doesn't need an internet connection, maintenance is cheap, the support is off the charts and I never have to wonder where my Files are.
    Just my two cents worth.
    K

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    What's a barrel mill?
    essentially a taper ball endmill but instead of the taper being flat, there are at least 2 radii, one on the tip itself, and a large radius on the side which allows you to finish surfaces with larger step overs vs ball end mills that require lots of small step overs.

13. Likes Mud liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you like the CAD CAM - why not Inventor and HSM? It's the same CAM and better CAD.
    I think you need the Product Design & Manufacturing bundle for it. It's a more expensive subscription than Fusion, but still less than maintenance on more expensive software.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    If you like the CAD CAM - why not Inventor and HSM? It's the same CAM and better CAD.
    I think you need the Product Design & Manufacturing bundle for it. It's a more expensive subscription than Fusion, but still less than maintenance on more expensive software.
    I would like to get away from the whole subscription thing and just own something outright.

It's no secret that CAD CAM software is overpriced and you are paying for their top heavy overhead, if it wasn't they wouldn't be able to sell it half off.

If I sold my work half off I would be out of business in short order! Even if I didn't loose money, which I would, I would have customers that paid full price asking why they paid twice as much. I get it that its a niche market but as technology progresses the days of being able to name your price just cause you can are coming to an end.

I'm just trying to get an idea what is out there. Don't matter if I end up spending 3G or 15G they are both a lot of money to me and deserve research. Fusion has gotten me to where I am today and I am grateful for that but the not so distant future for me will not involve clouds, internet, updates or subscriptions.

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming

16. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thing about software is that it's incredibly labour intensive to develop compared with most products. I used to be happy to be able to write (not check for all the errors) 200 lines of code a day. debugging and error checking often took three or four times as long as the original code writing. This means that a typical CAD or CAM package may well have over a hundred man years of development work in it. If you can sell it by the tens of millions, like Windows or Office etc. you can recover that cost quite esily. If you are selling thousands or tens of thousands, it gets more expensive. If you are selling to one customer, they need deep pockets.

18. Likes gkoenig, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I'm just trying to get an idea what is out there. Don't matter if I end up spending 3G or 15G they are both a lot of money to me and deserve research. Fusion has gotten me to where I am today and I am grateful for that but the not so distant future for me will not involve clouds, internet, updates or subscriptions.
    I would say 2 things:

1- Fusion is incredibly reliable. You are living in a fantasy land if you think SolidWorks, MasterCAM or NX don't also run into reliability issues that will make you pull your hair out on occasion. The issue with Fusion is a lot similar to the days when folks thought Glocks were unsafe because the vast majority of negligent firearms discharges you heard about from cops were with a Glock - turns out, that is because Glock has like 60%+ of the police handgun market (80% for urban departments with a lot of fresh newly minted officers). Fusion is wildly popular with a younger set of users who are deeply internet connected - so every time Fusion hiccups, they think it is the end of the world, the software is unreliable, and total shit. These things are all wildly unstable compared to most software - because CAD/CAM is some of the most complex bits of code in existence.

2- So many machinists come from a hardware oriented mindset that they just want software that they buy once and will work forever, like a hammer or something. In reality, CAD/CAM software is a highly complex beast sitting atop other highly complex beasts (the OS), trying to work in an ever shifting environment. It is like a living thing that takes a long time to get to basic functional maturity, requires even more investment to get to the level of being advanced, and also requires constant attention to keep it thriving on top of the shifting sands of underlying computing technology and customer needs. All these dudes who are like "I want to spend $10k once, and never update or buy software again!" need to sit the hell down in front of SolidWorks 2009 or a seat of NX6 and stop their bullshit. For all the moaning that nothing ever changes with updates, those seats of CAD/CAM from 10 years ago are archaic pieces of junk compared to their contemporary versions. I guess if you make vintage tractor parts or 2x2x4 aluminum boxes with some holes in them? Great! But if you want to be competitive at turning complex prints into actual parts rapidly enough to produce value people will actually pay you for? The ROI on running contemporary, maintained CAD/CAM that you know like the back of your hand is absurdly high.

20. Likes munruh, empwoer, dww6eng, BGL, Cole2534 and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tobydbaker74 View Post
    I would also like to know of any.

You could call bobcad which will in turn call you several times a day for the next year worse than a timeshare salesman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It's a shame to see them going back to the old ways I use Bobcad and like it, for the price... I do not receive many calls, maybe one every 6 months, as I read them the riot act and they stopped calling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with this. We have a legacy software that we have lot's of money invested in. However, my 16,14, and 12 year old boys all have their own Fusion accounts and are printing parts on a 3D printer, making RC car parts and so on. If they ever work in our shop and do any programming or designing it will be on Fusion. I don't have very good internet here, but Fusion has been very stable for me. I think it's great product. I'm editing here...trying to reply to the next to last message.......

23. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    I would say 2 things:

1- Fusion is incredibly reliable. You are living in a fantasy land if you think SolidWorks, MasterCAM or NX don't also run into reliability issues that will make you pull your hair out on occasion. The issue with Fusion is a lot similar to the days when folks thought Glocks were unsafe because the vast majority of negligent firearms discharges you heard about from cops were with a Glock - turns out, that is because Glock has like 60%+ of the police handgun market (80% for urban departments with a lot of fresh newly minted officers). Fusion is wildly popular with a younger set of users who are deeply internet connected - so every time Fusion hiccups, they think it is the end of the world, the software is unreliable, and total shit. These things are all wildly unstable compared to most software - because CAD/CAM is some of the most complex bits of code in existence.

2- So many machinists come from a hardware oriented mindset that they just want software that they buy once and will work forever, like a hammer or something. In reality, CAD/CAM software is a highly complex beast sitting atop other highly complex beasts (the OS), trying to work in an ever shifting environment. It is like a living thing that takes a long time to get to basic functional maturity, requires even more investment to get to the level of being advanced, and also requires constant attention to keep it thriving on top of the shifting sands of underlying computing technology and customer needs. All these dudes who are like "I want to spend $10k once, and never update or buy software again!" need to sit the hell down in front of SolidWorks 2009 or a seat of NX6 and stop their bullshit. For all the moaning that nothing ever changes with updates, those seats of CAD/CAM from 10 years ago are archaic pieces of junk compared to their contemporary versions. I guess if you make vintage tractor parts or 2x2x4 aluminum boxes with some holes in them? Great! But if you want to be competitive at turning complex prints into actual parts rapidly enough to produce value people will actually pay you for? The ROI on running contemporary, maintained CAD/CAM that you know like the back of your hand is absurdly high.
    PREACH IT BROTHER! very well said.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    It's a shame to see them going back to the old ways I use Bobcad and like it, for the price... I do not receive many calls, maybe one every 6 months, as I read them the riot act and they stopped calling.
    I bought one version years ago and never used it. Came with solid works plug in, mill and lathe package for 1500 total. Ran across another shop they sold the same for alot less. The new package is priced at $5000 bucks. If they would just give me their best price to begin with. I just cant see the upgrade price from my version 29 or 30 to version 32 worth 5000 bucks.

Something odd after posting that comment they have not called. Do they troll this site??Sick of Fusion 360 / Affordable AlternativesSick of Fusion 360 / Affordable Alternatives

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tobydbaker74 View Post
    I bought one version years ago and never used it. Came with solid works plug in, mill and lathe package for 1500 total. Ran across another shop they sold the same for alot less. The new package is priced at $5000 bucks. If they would just give me their best price to begin with. I just cant see the upgrade price from my version 29 or 30 to version 32 worth 5000 bucks.

Something odd after posting that comment they have not called. Do they troll this site??Sick of Fusion 360 / Affordable AlternativesSick of Fusion 360 / Affordable Alternatives

IT is like dealing with a used car salesman

I'm on version 31 after using 24 and 27. I have always gotten a good deal after playing their game.... They have room to dicker if you are using some of their lower tier software. I was told that they use a different package for the higher end mill products and have to pay royalties, thus the higher prices.

I would have loved to use Fusion but Autodesk is 10 times worse than BobCad, as a company. Screw me once shame on you........

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Solidworks can be had for $4000 sometimes less and they will do payments.

Solidcam can be had for $1600 for Xpress and $4000-5000 if you want imachining which I suggest getting. Same they will do payments.

For $8000 all In for some really powerful software....it's hard to beat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last I talked to a solidworks sales rep (about a month ago), they quoted me nearly $20k for a cad/cam package. I’ll stick with my 2009 seat. And I’ll continue to run my cludgy old mastercam mill8. New software would be super nice, but I’m super cheap. Trying to save up for a new lathe with Y axis and a sub-spindle.