Sick of Fusion 360 / Affordable Alternatives - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Well, EMO was a year and a half ago, and this super mind-blowing AI CAM software from Esprit is such vaporware that it isn’t even on the website? You’ll need to wait even longer.
    He's referring to Esprit TNG. It's available now...and has been for a few years.

Esprit is the best secret in machining. People have heard of it, some have heard they do multi axis well, not many know how good it is at absolutely everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    He's referring to Esprit TNG. It's available now...and has been for a few years.

Esprit is the best secret in machining. People have heard of it, some have heard they do multi axis well, not many know how good it is at absolutely everything.
    Tell me more! because I paid my last FeatureCAM maint. payment Dec. 2019. I'm shopping!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I've been told by users of Esprit, its great for production or very complicated one off work but is rather time consuming for programing one off simpleish parts?

Regardless its a little too fancy pants for me as well as the price. If everything is half as good as I've been told by others OneCNC should be a good fit for me with the option to upgrade to 5 axis simultaneous should I ever fall into a 5 axis machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Tell me more! because I paid my last FeatureCAM maint. payment Dec. 2019. I'm shopping!
    All I'll say is you need to give Esprit a look. Have them come and demo. Contact some of the AEs at their main offices. Once you see the light, theres's no turning back lol
    (honestly cannot give a fair 'sales pitch' here. no, I'm not in sales for Esprit nor do I work for Esprit)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but from what I've been told by users of Esprit, its great for production or very complicated one off work but is rather time consuming for programing one off simpleish parts?
    This is the point I was making. Many do not know how capable this software is. Many moons ago, knocking out 40+ programs (complete with setup sheets) in an day was common when I was using Esprit. Anytime I tell someone this they think I'm either lying or programming parts with minimal features. Like I said above, I cannot give a fair overview here. Just, you should be looking into it. If someone with any skill in the software demos it for you, you will end up buying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10 years ago I made a move to a company that used Esprit.
    Thought it was the worst crap software ever. Workflow is way different.

A couple years in, and it all made sense.

Recently got back into MC as part of the consulting side of my business. Hate it.

The stuff I can easily do with Esprit is simply amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well...I am 99.99% unaware of CNC stuff....though I need to learn it.

But I can tell you one thing....paying anyone for a subscription sucks. It's abuse on the part of software developers. I bet when they buy the latest Lady Gaga CD they don't feel like they should be mailing her a check every month to cover her ongoing costs.

It's a lot like Microsoft....every year their systems get more and more bloated and offer all sorts of amazing new features that I don't want or need....and then they want me to keep paying them to try to fix it. I'd rather they develop one good product that works and I'll pay for it once. That's equality.

'Keep 'em sucking at the teat' is a great business model, if you are the owner of the teat. Not so good for the suckers. There's a reason software companies are among the highest profit makers around....

7. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hardplates, when you get done with your 30 day trial, please take some time and post extensively about your thoughts.

I despise Fusion, the “internet” issue is only the tip of the iceberg for me.

I started tracking costs for the amount of time lost due to Fusion crashes, duplicate cloud/backup parts, trying to work around “known issues” and fixing problems caused by “known issues” that I knew nothing about. Researching “known issues” has become a second job. Dealing with changed settings due to updates, bad model geometry, and tool path errors just add to the DAILY frustrations.

Strange, because my AutoCAD 2006 still works like the day I bought it. No “maintenance” no updates, no bugs, no “known issues” . . . Well, nothing! It just WORKED.

Solidworks and 3 ax CAM comes out to around ~ $8k for what I was quoted. That’s 2/3 what inventor “package” was quoted.

I lost the opportunity to a decent amount of business this year because of Fusion and the “cloud”. Two large companies wanted me to take on more work until they found out my models were stored in the cloud. No go for both. It’s not like they are Darth Vader or the DOD, the one makes house hold products. You’ll touch several of their products today.

So, here’s to looking forward to what you have to say about OneCNC.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post

I lost the opportunity to a decent amount of business this year because of Fusion and the “cloud”. Two large companies wanted me to take on more work until they found out my models were stored in the cloud. No go for both. It’s not like they are Darth Vader or the DOD, the one makes house hold products. You’ll touch several of their products today.

Sounds like Fusion is not for you... you can bitch about needing an internet connection and the fact that Fusion is cloud based, but you must have known that going in right? Its been like that since the beginning to the best of my knowledge, and It’s unlikely to change.
    If there was some magic , did everything , non cloud based , no internet required, no subscription, CHEAP! CAD/CAM.... everyone would be using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"If there was some magic , did everything , non cloud based , no internet required, no subscription, CHEAP! CAD/CAM.... everyone would be using it"

Well, they probably would. But.....for such a thing to exist would imply that software companies are in the business of producing software. They are not. They are in the business of making as much money as they possibly can, at the customer's expense. The software is a sidebar. It is merely the vehicle.

Imagine buying a shop manual to fix your car. You read halfway through, then the pages are blank. You have to send more money to get the other pages. Well, the next few pages anyway. Then, you send more money to get some more pages. You finally get enough pages and fix your car. You put the manual up on a shelf. Next month, your car breaks again and you pull down the manual, only to find that you have to send more money because the pages are blank again. But...they've added some new pages to replace the old pages that they messed up on the first go-round. That's awesome...but you know the reason your car broke the second time was the faulty instructions they gave you to start with.

No one alive would think that is just ducky. But somehow, the software companies do just that, and develop a fan base to boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Sounds like Fusion is not for you... you can bitch about needing an internet connection and the fact that Fusion is cloud based, but you must have known that going in right? Its been like that since the beginning to the best of my knowledge, and It’s unlikely to change.
    If there was some magic , did everything , non cloud based , no internet required, no subscription, CHEAP! CAD/CAM.... everyone would be using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Right along those lines, the reason fusion is so much cheaper than everything else is because it is internet dependend, cloud based.
    It has to be cheaper, because: If it was priced more in line with "real" softwares, nobody would ever even consider it!

The price is a trap. Boggles my mind that more people do not see this

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    "If there was some magic , did everything , non cloud based , no internet required, no subscription, CHEAP! CAD/CAM.... everyone would be using it"
    There is, it's called a mastercam crack.

14. Likes wheelieking71, gkoenig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post

Recently got back into MC as part of the consulting side of my business. Hate it.

Back in app 2002 or 3 I talked the boss into getting Esprit as another dept was using it and figured it would be a good fit. I had not really programmed anything at that point and he had been using SmartCam so I got to be the test mule. I had come from drawing in Acad for awhile and when I tried to figure out Esprit it was tough, I just couldn't get a handle on it. I spent two days struggling. Our reseller had made some tutorial cd's and I watched them as I went and at some point on the third day the light switch turned on and then it was Very intuitive after that. I used it for app 4 years after that and I remember really liking it. I have not used it since then so I am way out of date on it, but if it is still anything like it was I would think it would live up to it's reputation. I never did get to use it on anything but 3 axis work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post

The thing is - you just described all the high-end CAM software. NX, Hypermill, Esprit, MasterCAM.

The folks who have taken the time to climb the learning curve tend to always find them amazing... once they get over the hump. It is actually very very difficult to assess the strengths/weaknesses of one over the other unless you are over the learning curve on them all, and you keep updated on their latest developments. I know very very few people who are proficient and current in more than one high-end CAM package.

17. Likes GregSY, metal-ica, empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    The thing is - you just described all the high-end CAM software. NX, Hypermill, Esprit, MasterCAM.

The folks who have taken the time to climb the learning curve tend to always find them amazing... once they get over the hump. It is actually very very difficult to assess the strengths/weaknesses of one over the other unless you are over the learning curve on them all, and you keep updated on their latest developments. I know very very few people who are proficient and current in more than one high-end CAM package.
    I used to be okay in both MasterCAM, and FeatureCAM circa '07-'08ish. And, it was obvious to me where each's strengths were.
    Need to go from print/solid to part NOW? FeatureCAM was the right tool.
    Didn't have a solid, and needed to actually "draw' your part? Again, FeatureCAM
    Need to make a perfectly machined part complete with deburring handled in the machining process? And, had the calendar for the programming?
    Or needed to whittle seconds off a long running production process in order to be, or stay, competitive/profitable? MasterCAM was the right tool.

Need long term longevity/reliability in your CAM package with good support for both the software and post process?
    That your business will be able to rely on no matter what curve-balls get thrown your way? Never has Fusion been the right tool.

Autodesk was my curve ball! Resulted in a strike. Thank god I have two disks/dongles/PAFF files!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eff those unscrupulous bastards!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OneCNC an alternative to Fusio 360

Hardplates, when you get done with your 30 day trial, please take some time and post extensively about your thoughts.

I started tracking costs for the amount of time lost due to Fusion crashes, duplicate cloud/backup parts, trying to work around “known issues” and fixing problems caused by “known issues” that I knew nothing about. Researching “known issues” has become a second job. Dealing with changed settings due to updates, bad model geometry, and tool path errors just add to the DAILY frustrations.

Strange, because my AutoCAD 2006 still works like the day I bought it. No “maintenance” no updates, no bugs, no “known issues” . . . Well, nothing! It just WORKED.

Solidworks and 3 ax CAM comes out to around ~ $8k for what I was quoted. That’s 2/3 what inventor “package” was quoted.

Since you asked, I have used OneCNC for several years. I is a good mid to lower priced cam package with some drawing capabilities with the expert package.

It has reasonably good high speed milling tool paths as well as other regular tool paths
    It is dead simple to use. Has the easiest multiple part setup I have seen

The post file is easily modified with fairly simple adjustments.
    The posts for Fanuc and Haas are good out of the box with minor adjustments

Support is great.

It is an actual owned piece of software, meaning you can legally sell it if you no longer use it. It comes with a dongle, don't lose it or the software is useless and valueless.

There is currently a 50% off sale until the end of the month.

It is not esprit or mastercam or any of the higher priced packages but it is good for moderately complex parts. If you need compete control of your tool path this is probably not for you otherwise try it you might like it.

Another option with more tool path control might be Smartcam. It is priced about the same I believe. I have looked at Smartcam and priced it a few years ago, but have never used it.

HTH

VFP

20. Likes Fal Grunt, as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This right here! ^^^^^^^^^^

I have never even used it. But, it only took me a very short time to figure all that out vicariously.
    I mean as soon as I heard "cloud" and knew that the machine you were using it on had to link up to the net?
    Then in the very beginning I heard John Saunders mention something about how often it updates. All I could do was LOL and think "fuck that shit".
    Well, to be honest, I didn't even need to know those things. The autodicks factor removed it from contention by default.

22. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perfect example tonight:

Have been working on setting up a new part this afternoon. Got the 1st op done before dinner. Went in and ate dinner, came outside to finish up the second op. Ran through it once, made a bunch of adjustments, ran through a second time. Put in a new part to run through a third time. Changed the sfm and cpt of one tool in one tool path. Get the yellow triangle. "No model found" then all of the tool paths light up. The all operations light up. No model found.

WTF

Open the setup tab, model is selected, it shows the model highlighted.

WTF

This is particularly concerning because about 3 weeks ago I had my first "crash" with my Brother. Was tweaking in a part, posted and ran a skim pass on the part, mic'd it, changed stock to leave from +.0005" to 0 and reran the program after reposting. WHAM! Spindle drove down right into the part.

After I changed my shorts I started going through everything trying to figure out what my mistake was. After nearly an hour of beating my head against the wall I finally saw that my stock and WCS were about 1/2" above my modeled part. When I opened up the setup tab, the model was selected. The model showed that it was selected. (model - body, you click on body, and the model lights up blue) un selecting the model and re-selecting the model put it right back where it was supposed to be.

Both times, if I look in the top right corner, I see the 1 by the clock. If I click on it I get: "The update failed to complete"

24. Likes as9100d, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did the same thing again, so this time I took pictures.

26. Likes as9100d, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"...I heard John Saunders mention something about how often it updates."

I'm a MasterCAM user but listen to John Saunders and Grismo's podcast every week and have much respect for their accomplishments, but it feels like they're Fusion shills. Are they paid spokespeople?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perfect example tonight:

Have been working on setting up a new part this afternoon. Got the 1st op done before dinner. Went in and ate dinner, came outside to finish up the second op. Ran through it once, made a bunch of adjustments, ran through a second time. Put in a new part to run through a third time. Changed the sfm and cpt of one tool in one tool path. Get the yellow triangle. "No model found" then all of the tool paths light up. The all operations light up. No model found.

WTF

Open the setup tab, model is selected, it shows the model highlighted.

WTF

This is particularly concerning because about 3 weeks ago I had my first "crash" with my Brother. Was tweaking in a part, posted and ran a skim pass on the part, mic'd it, changed stock to leave from +.0005" to 0 and reran the program after reposting. WHAM! Spindle drove down right into the part.

After I changed my shorts I started going through everything trying to figure out what my mistake was. After nearly an hour of beating my head against the wall I finally saw that my stock and WCS were about 1/2" above my modeled part. When I opened up the setup tab, the model was selected. The model showed that it was selected. (model - body, you click on body, and the model lights up blue) un selecting the model and re-selecting the model put it right back where it was supposed to be.

Both times, if I look in the top right corner, I see the 1 by the clock. If I click on it I get: "The update failed to complete"
    People actually use this garbage?! Seriously?!